Gransnet forums

Food

Gluten free

(5 Posts)
Funnygran Sun 30-Dec-18 12:45:10

GrannyIris5 I have two grandsons with coeliac disease - who also like cake. Although I haven't made a madeira cake, I do use the gluten free self raising flour in any recipe I make for them. Always get excellent results and to be honest we can hardly tell the difference. Sometimes the texture is slightly crispy but it's quite nice!

GrannyIris5 Sun 30-Dec-18 09:49:16

I’ll look at your suggestions - I’ve got until next weekend ?

merlotgran Sun 30-Dec-18 09:44:34

Tesco do a very good and reliable gf sponge cake mix which can be used for various cake recipes not just Victoria Sandwich. DD used it to make our Golden Wedding cake earlier this year and it supported all the necessary icing.

Phil Vickery also has some good gf cake recipes in one of his books so maybe you can find them online?

I stopped eating anything containing gluten three years ago when I also realised even spelt flour wasn't making a difference. My health improved almost immediately so I hope it works for your daughter.

tanith Sun 30-Dec-18 09:42:30

laurasglutenfreekitchen.com/2014/10/gluten-free-lemon-madeira-cake/

I found this but I’ve never tried it.

GrannyIris5 Sun 30-Dec-18 09:37:05

Can any of you lovely ladies help with a recipe. I have been baking with ‘spelt’ flour for a year or so because one of my daughters had bloating etc. Now even that is causing problems - does anyone have a tried and tested Madeira type recipe I can use for family birthday cakes. Can I substitute gf for the spelt? Plenty of Victoria sponge recipes but can’t cover those with fondant or buttercream. Thank you