Gransnet forums

Food

I yearn for good old fashioned recipes!

(63 Posts)
Teetime Thu 17-Jan-19 09:07:09

I found that substituting natural yogurt for milk in scones made them lighter and fluffier.

glammanana Thu 17-Jan-19 09:03:11

Try the Mary Berry recipe for light fruit scones.
See if you can get a copy of The Book of Home Cooking from a charity shop and you will find some tasty traditional recipies.

M0nica Thu 17-Jan-19 08:50:27

I love trying out new foods and new recipes, but I do find that too many recipes have far too many ingredients in them and the larder would be full of bottles used once or twice only if I wasn't careful, so I just reformulate any recipes that appeal to me and remove or replace anything that I cannot see me using more than once. It probably changes the flavour of some meals slightly, but not much.

BradfordLass You want scones? Try any NT property or non chain cafe. We have a little cafe in our town, consciously vintage which does beautiful scones, as does the cafe attached to the local baker.

notanan2 Thu 17-Jan-19 08:47:41

I ordered banana bread as a treat... bit into it and it wasnt right.. double checked and the cafe makes all their bakery items with gluten free flour now (which is less healthy than normal flour unless you have a medical reason for needing gluten free).

My "treat" didn't taste like a treat :-(
I <3 gluten!!

mumofmadboys Thu 17-Jan-19 08:13:55

I made a rice pudding this week!

LullyDully Thu 17-Jan-19 08:03:46

I agree recipes are more fussy. They often demand ingredients we don't have which are only needed for that specific meal, adding to my staples, herbs and spices. I suppose it goes with the shift away from meat which seems inevitable.

oldgoat Thu 17-Jan-19 07:57:00

How about a nice plateful of Lord Woolton's pie?

Grammaretto Thu 17-Jan-19 07:54:37

I know what you mean! I have really quite simple tastes. An omelette with 2 veg suits me as well as some elaborate concoction. I'm vegetarian and though not vegan people think I'm going to be hard to please.
I do like free range eggs and fresh organic local veg though!
Porridge is on the hob now.

dragonfly46 Thu 17-Jan-19 07:46:32

I think my parents generation were much healthier using the old fashioned recipes. They had an all round diet and cooked everything from scratch. My dad grew his own fruit and veg which my mum bottled in kilner jars.

The younger generation are extremely faddy in the name of health. Quinoa is an example of this - can’t stand the stuff. Give me a good cottage pie any day.

travelsafar Thu 17-Jan-19 07:37:37

I think many of the 'old fashioned' receipes although tasty and filling would today be concidered unhealthy.

We are all so conscious of what we are eating and watching our figures, fat intake, cholesterol etc that is why more up to date foods are more previlant.

Grannyknot Thu 17-Jan-19 07:33:04

This made me laugh. We visited family recently for the weekend and on Saturday evening there was much huffing and puffing in the kitchen for what seemed like hours, and not much on the plate for the myriad of ingredients and effort, when we sat in to eat. (It was tasty though!)

I made a comment about it to my husband when we went to bed, and he replied "I was hoping for Cottage Pie" grin

BradfordLass72 Thu 17-Jan-19 04:07:06

No, you don't - you ARE the times!
I find the same annoying thing here where every outlet seems to think everyone wants trendy food.

I long to find a cafe with really light, fluffy scones (anyone got a recipe?) with a dollop of cream and jam.

Fortunately I can still see well enough to bake but I heartily agree with you. thanks

Jazzy1527 Wed 16-Jan-19 23:40:08

How I yearn to open a magazine and find some old fashioned recipes for good hearty food. My magazine this month promised ‘amazing tasty suppers the family will love’. Quorn, coriander, chipotle paste, black beans, quark, chard, edamame, tofu...the list goes on. Maybe I just need to roll with the times!