Gransnet forums

Food

Gluten free cake

(9 Posts)
kittylester Wed 23-Jan-19 14:13:23

I have an aversion to brownies as they are the standby gf cake.

I'm not keen on polenta either.

I have been making Delia's all in one chocolate cake recently and filling and topping with salted caramel butter cream.

I make the butter cream by adding salted caramel from a jar into an ordinary butter cream. I then put gold sugar crystals on the top. It looks impressive and was judged better than the elaborate fruit filled cake that we bought for my birthday.

Katyj Wed 23-Jan-19 13:49:10

Thank you so much everyone.Plenty there to keep me busy.

shysal Wed 23-Jan-19 10:18:59

www.nigella.com/recipes/lemon-polenta-cake
This is lovely and moist. I make an orange version for a change. Make sure you use GF baking powder.

Hilltopgran Wed 23-Jan-19 10:16:49

Brownies made with Ground almonds instead of flour are quick and easy to make and treat for everyone. Another alternative is a lemon drizzel cake made with polenta, I use a Nigella receipe I found on line and it is always popular. A flourless swiss roll, or sponge filled with cream is good as well.

Alternatively I just use the my favorite Delia all in one cake receipe with gluten free flour, but be careful with your baking powder, they do rise up and sink if you are over generous, works best with an extra egg and some added moisture like syrup, honey or marmalade in a loaf style tin.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 23-Jan-19 09:58:25

I'm with Kitty - my DD is allergic to wheat so all my cakes have to be GF. I just swap the flour for the Dove's Farm gf version. There are lovely flour-free recipes using almonds etc too - but for anything sponge related it works a treat

Saxifrage Wed 23-Jan-19 09:56:33

I use the Nigella clementine cake recipe which is made of eggs and ground almonds. It is quite a puddingy sort of cake so lovely as a dessert with sour cream. It looks tedious as you boil the clementines for 2 hours first but actually prep time is very quick. Stays moist for days.

kittylester Wed 23-Jan-19 09:47:09

I use Delia's all in one recipe just substituting the flour. I tend to use 1.5 x the recipe to get the depth of sponge.

merlotgran Wed 23-Jan-19 09:23:57

I cheat and use Tesco's GF cake mix. It comes in vanilla or chocolate, completely reliable, goes a long way and can be used for all sorts of cakes and puddings.

I've used it for birthday cakes, Victoria Sandwich, Lemon drizzle and sponge toppings for Eve's pudding.

DD even used it (I don't know how many packets!) for our Golden Wedding cake last year. It was stunning and hard to believe it was gluten free because it was lovely and moist.

Katyj Wed 23-Jan-19 09:14:17

Hi, does anyone have a failsafe recipe for a gluten free cake recipes please.We have friends coming to stay soon.Would like to make them welcome, with something home made .