Gransnet forums

Food

What are your 3 ‘go to’ family suppers?

(173 Posts)
Urmstongran Wed 23-Jan-19 09:48:18

I made dinner last night and got to thinking of my usual favourite suppers that I make on a fairly regular basis. Nothing fancy (as for a special occasion) just ordinary dinners.

Mine are:

1. Chilli & rice
2. Hungarian goulash a la Delia
3. a pork, apple, sage & onion dish topped with cheesy mash and served with green cabbage.

What are yours?

TwiceAsNice Mon 18-Feb-19 19:28:51

Casserole either beef or lamb
Spaghetti Bolognaise
Baked salmon with rice and veg

Urmstongran Mon 18-Feb-19 19:23:21

Thanks everyone for all your meal ideas! I’ve really enjoyed reading every one of these. I just wish I could pull up a chair at some of your tables. ? ??
I’ve got some great meals written down now. ?

MargaretX Mon 18-Feb-19 18:44:46

Spaghetti Bolognese
Meat balls in mustard Sauce +Reis
Fried pork filet slices and German potato salad

M0nica Mon 18-Feb-19 17:46:14

For the last week DH and I have both been down with a respiratory bug. Meal preparation has been very low on my activity list, in fact any activity has been low on my activity list. Inactivity has been the order of the day. All three dishes I listed above have featured on the menu this week. They are familiar, comforting and frozen in portions in the freezer.

jeanie99 Mon 18-Feb-19 15:22:06

Turkey dinner with steamed vegetables, roast potatoes/vegetables and stuffing.

Salmon with peas, new potatoes or jacket big bowl of salad (lettuce/cucumber/Tom/onion/celery/apple sprinkle of wine vinegar).

Fish pie with steamed vegetables

M0nica Fri 15-Feb-19 21:02:06

polyester, my list was:
Spaghetti Bolognaise
Risotto (no one recipe in particular)
Home made curry, (no one recipe in particular)

All these were part of my mother's repertoire in the 1950s. I think the first two recipes came from the Prestige Pressure cooker recipe book, as did Goulasch, another family favourite. The curry dates from when we lived in the Far East during the 1950s, which I suppose means it doesn't really count.

Shirleyw Thu 14-Feb-19 20:55:02

Ragu.... (delias winter collection)
Roast chicken
cheddar cheese risotto (nigella express)

Urmstongran Tue 12-Feb-19 22:43:02

Excellent Bathsheba!
How lovely you posted - thank you! I like your idea of the stock cube.
Our family always enjoy this meal. And I like making it because it’s dead easy!

Bathsheba Tue 12-Feb-19 22:35:31

Urmstongran I made your pork dish tonight - well, slightly modified, because I was using leftover pork from Sunday's roast, so I didn't cook it for quite so long. Oh, and instead of plain water I dissolved a pork stock cube to add to it. It was delicious! Thank you for that - that will definitely go into my regular repertoire of using leftovers smile

kittylester Mon 11-Feb-19 18:32:36

My phone strikes again - bourguignon!!

kittylester Mon 11-Feb-19 18:30:48

polyester, one of my dishes is Chinese and I don't think China is in the EU.

Lots of people chose Chili con carne. I was cooking that in the early 70s and I'm not sure Mexico is in the EU either.

I was making coq an vin, beouf bourginon, French onion soup etc well before we joined the Common Market. I had even been to Italy and eaten spaghetti shock in 1970!

What a ridiculous post!

Urmstongran Mon 11-Feb-19 18:13:00

PLEASE don’t hijack this thread polyester57 by making it anything to do with the ‘B’ word!

It’s been a lovely, friendly, lighthearted and informative topic until you posted.

There are plenty of political threads elsewhere.

Lazigirl Mon 11-Feb-19 18:11:08

hmm

lemongrove Mon 11-Feb-19 16:10:09

What has that to do with anything polyester ?!
I was cooking all types of dishes before 1973.
British people going on holiday in the 1960’s opened up all kinds of new ideas.

lemongrove Mon 11-Feb-19 16:06:45

Chilli con carne
Chicken casserole
Pasta spirals in a tomato and basil sauce with chopped ham and grated smoked cheddar added.

polyester57 Mon 11-Feb-19 15:59:47

I just wondered how many posters on here were "leavers". Two out of three dishes on here were unheard of in the UK before 1973.

Scribbles Sun 10-Feb-19 21:09:16

Just wanted to say, I made Urmstongran's pork, apple & sage dish for tonight's dinner.
Delicious!
I served it with buttered cabbage and even Mr Scribbles, who can be quite hard to please, pronounced it "very good". Highly commended ?.

Miep1 Wed 30-Jan-19 10:24:23

Roasted anything, but preferably beef
Shepherd's (cottage) pie
Any casserole in new electric pressure cooker!

Bathsheba Wed 30-Jan-19 09:56:10

BBbevan I tried your cabbage carbonara dish last night, with a few modifications: I added one small red onion, finely sliced, and some chicken cut into strips which I fried with the bacon. I also added 2 minced garlic cloves, and about 1 tsp each of dried tarragon and fennel seeds. Finally I used a 'gurt big dollop' (as they say here in Devon wink) of low fat creme fraiche instead of cream.
It was lush! Thank you smile

WildRoses Mon 28-Jan-19 20:44:00

Love this thread. It's given me some brilliant ideas as I've recently hit a brick wall for ideas.
Mine are: spag bol
Pie and oven chips
Roast dinner.

Witzend Mon 28-Jan-19 19:49:19

One thing I should have added - a staple of my mother's when she was broke, and a staple of mine, when I have a lot of veg to use up, is her 'dustbin soup' - i.e, made with whatever you have. Veg, red lentils, rice, pasta, suitable leftovers, you name it.

I have one simmering now. In it are two,potatoes, one carrot, one stick of celery, all chopped small, and one chopped onion and rasher of bacon, fried briefly before (cube) chicken stock and veg added.

Shall soon add a handful of orzo (rice shaped pasta) and lastly, for a very few minutes, the finely chopped ends of a) a Savoy cabbage, and b) a white cabbage.
Plus plenty of black pepper.
Will be served with lots of grated cheese.
Different every time.
Dh loves it!

Lily65 Sun 27-Jan-19 20:28:40

thanks crystal

NotSpaghetti Sun 27-Jan-19 19:30:06

TrixieBakes - do you use fresh or tinned tomatoes in your shakshuka? And do you just make it up as you go or do you have a favourite recipe?
I used to make something like this years ago but haven’t for ages.

JackyB Sat 26-Jan-19 15:45:47

I am surprised how many of you count a roast chicken as a weekday evening meal. We are not vegetarian but only eat meat at the weekends. One day chicken, one day fish, one cheese or egg meal and a simple veg stew on the fourth night. There are usually leftovers at some point so that covers the 5th weeknight.

My 3 favourites would be:

Spinach quiche

Pasta with prawns (stirred together with a packet of strained tomatoes, some cream and maybe peas) and

potato salad with frankfurters or hard-boiled eggs.

crystaltipps Sat 26-Jan-19 13:04:47

www.mobkitchen.co.uk/crispy-sesame-tofu-with-sticky-sauce-2/

I use this recipe for crispy tofu. Even my tofu hating OH loves it. I usually serve with stir fry veg,