Gransnet forums

Food

Weekly spend on food?

(196 Posts)
Lily65 Thu 24-Jan-19 14:45:38

How much do you spend folks? Mine is absolutely over the top as I am wasteful and disorganised.

I would like to change!

2 adults by the way.

Charleygirl5 Thu 24-Jan-19 21:44:31

I have no idea. When I shop online roughly every 2 weeks the bill is around £65 but that includes cat litter, loo rolls, liquid soap and enough cleaning stuff for Buckingham Palace especially if it is on offer. I top up as and when but again it may be cat stuff as well. I never have takeaways and try to plan ahead but sometimes I end up with something really easy to pop in the oven like fish and chips from Waitrose.

BlueBelle Thu 24-Jan-19 22:10:53

I m the same as you MissAdventure don’t spend on alcohol (although I ll have a cider or wine very occasionally) don’t smoke, don’t have pets, don’t have a car, cheap as chips that’s me

paddyann Thu 24-Jan-19 22:16:33

Around £130 a week but we have a GD half the week and my MIL one week in 5 plus other GC who stay weekends and my Son and his partner who have been here for 10 days while Dad pulled his bathroom apart and redid it .
.The electricity flucuates when we have extra people here as Son and partner have 4 showers a day and laptops on in the bedroom and things like phones charging overnight.

I decided to keep all my receipts last year to see exactly what we spend at the supermarket and some months it was near £600 and others as low as £350 .We dont have takeaways so nothing to be added to the total.

womblekelly Thu 24-Jan-19 22:25:31

This week £20 but we are using up what is in freezer and store cupboard, and have chickens. From next week spending£10/week on a Freegan box from local junk food store so will see how that goes ....

Anja Thu 24-Jan-19 22:31:08

Charleygirk me neither!

Maggiemaybe Thu 24-Jan-19 22:56:16

I notice that one or two of you eat with friends/ relatives. Don’t you have to return the hospitality?

When I say we eat at the AC’s houses, Pamela, I mean that we childmind for two full days a week and the DGC’s parents leave food, usually ready prepared, for dinner and tea for the children and for us. We often do have the whole family over for meals or take them out for family celebrations. Our food bills tend to double those weeks. smile

M0nica Fri 25-Jan-19 09:12:10

I am an efficient shopper, but I am not sure how much I spend as some food is bought weekly, a big shop every 5 weeks, I buy meat from the local farm shop roughly once every quarter.

However, all my meat comes from the producer and is organic or near organic (but we eat smaller portions because good quality, high welfare meat is expensive).

I plan my menus a week at a time and my food waste bag each week rarely contains more than few bacon rinds, fish skins, and meat bones. Vegetable waste is composted and used to grow the next year's fruit and vegetables.

Weekly expenditure varies from £ 10 to £100, 5 weekly between £125 - £175, meat £30 - £125.

Teetime Fri 25-Jan-19 09:40:18

About £100 a week for everything including wine, cleaning products HUGE amount of fruit and veg- only shop at Ocado. Its fine for us but I am trying not to stock up so much.

glammanana Fri 25-Jan-19 09:40:49

I found it difficult to downsize my shopping when the family left home and for years thought I was shopping for an army really.
Now I have managed to shop for just the two of us and my weekly bill is in the region of £40-50s,I do a Aldi shop for fresh veg & fruit which is always good quality so very little wastage in this house.
Other half pays for dog & cat food and £10 a week towards their injections so we have a good disposable income if we fancy a meal out at any time.

Izabella Fri 25-Jan-19 09:52:32

Around £30 for two and we rarely eat out. Virtually everything cooked from fresh, often in batches and frozen. Never buy bread, rarely vegetables - as grow lots. I barter fresh veg. for free range eggs when my pals hens are in lay. We used to spend a lot on fruit, but since type II came along (now in remission) I only eat the berries we grow and freeze them so they usually last all year. We are currently pricing up bulk meat deals from an organic butcher. CH makes wine, often from foraged fruit.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 25-Jan-19 10:27:50

Don’t really know is the answer. Buy my toilet rolls from groupon and have 45 at a time. I usually spend my state pension every week but it include not only food but trips out, coffee and lunch out, clothes and treating the kids. Buy all my meat and fish from Waitrose when it’s reduced and stock up the freezer. Keep a stock of dry goods and the rest is bought daily.. I reckon on food it’s about 40 to 50 for two of us a week. Don’t buy wine, cigarettes but always a weekly bunch of flowers. Also buy for the food bank,about 10% of what I spend on my stuff.

Bobdoesit Fri 25-Jan-19 10:29:57

We (2 of us) spend between £55 - £65 on a 'normal' week. If we have company for a meal or fancy a couple of bottles of wine it will be more like £100.

kwest Fri 25-Jan-19 10:32:41

I would love to see some helpful hints on reducing the weekly food bill. We have just had a change in circumstances and ideally need o keep spending around £70 for two including wine.

M0nica Fri 25-Jan-19 10:35:30

Plan meals, compare costs.

lilihu Fri 25-Jan-19 10:39:44

Over a month , for two and a cat, our weekly grocery shop averages around £70.
We only buy wine etc for taking to friends or if entertaining at home and look for discounts while shopping, then stock up ready.
We have lunch out around once every 10 days but then have a snack meal in the evening.
I am far more organised since I retired and have more time to plan meals and shopping. I rarely, if ever throw out or waste any food - I’m quite pleased with that.

marpau Fri 25-Jan-19 10:41:05

We spend £35 per week all meals made from scratch and soup for lunch most days varies depending on which veg need used up ?

Janweb65 Fri 25-Jan-19 10:43:41

Interesting reading. I try to keep my Sainsbury's (delivered) shop to under £50 but that includes expensive cat food for two very fussy cats. Hubby spends about £12 on top on wine . I don't drink. Don't know if that's average or not.

Bunch Fri 25-Jan-19 10:45:06

I was slightly horrified to see that many of you were spending a great deal less than me. There are two of us and the dog and on average I would say £100 per week which covers everything (except wine which my OH buys and drinks). We do eat a lot of fruit and veg which is not cheap, but I am meticulious in looking at prices and buying offers whenever I can. I try to shop just once a week but may have to replenish veg in the meantime. Thanks for posting this Lily65, interesting to know what others are doing.

breeze Fri 25-Jan-19 10:46:25

My weekly shop has very recently reduced from £300 p.w. to £150. Thank goodness for home delivery when I needed you most smile

We were 8 people (some full, some part time) and 2 large dogs. But 2 sons have just moved out. One of whom has my two DGD's. So they are now with him apart from sundays when they all visit and I cook a roast. 1 of the girlfriends used to stay over 3 nights every weekend. Remaining 3rd son works away from home a lot, and is a vegetarian, so that makes a difference when he is home (veg is so expensive as are nuts).

I have almost everything delivered by Sainsburys now but when they were all here I used to do an additional shop at Costco about 5 times a year for bulk items.

I buy some of the food for the dogs via supermarket, some from dog food supplier who deliver.

I waste very little. I cook from scratch and don't buy convenience foods. I throw barely anything away. Healthy scraps go into the dogs. I think wasting food is a disgrace when some have to go without. We do drink alcohol (less since they all moved out grin) but don't smoke.

evianers Fri 25-Jan-19 10:50:31

Plus/minus 50 euros per week, Veggies are really expensive here, but other things are much less than in the UK. Swings and roundabouts probably. Vino is of course a super price!
5 litre box of vin du table for 9.99 on special offer. Bet yaw'll are envious of that one!

Lily65 Fri 25-Jan-19 10:51:27

I am going to try and use up some of the stuff I already have in.

I am not judging anybody but £100 for 2 seems a lot ie £400 a month.

Nandalot Fri 25-Jan-19 10:52:04

I thought at first we were really extravagant as our online shop hovers around £100, with some top ups in the week. That includes cleaning products and some wine at times. However, thinking about it, there are five of us, adult DD and 2 DGC. They often stay over as DD often travels for work and has very early mornings. They always eat the evening meal with us. So for 5, I don’t think that’s too bad.

nannypiano Fri 25-Jan-19 10:52:07

I thought I was extravagant, but I'm quite pleased with myself judging what others of you spend. I manage to keep my food bill down to 40/50 a week. It's just me and two greedy dogs. That also includes a bottle of wine for Sat night. It has risen in the last 12 months though due to price rises. I always shop at Aldi.

Lily65 Fri 25-Jan-19 10:52:45

evianers....no I'm not envious because I would be drinking all of it for breakfast!!! I am glad its expensive here.

mabon1 Fri 25-Jan-19 10:52:57

I am horrified how many of you talk merrily about wasting food, what's the matter with you? I live alone and hardly ever (can't say never) waste any food at all. I spend around £25.00 - £30.00 a week on food (no wine as don't drink) I have milk from the milkman which is generally £3.25 a week.