Gransnet forums

Food

Stocking up on Food Brexit.

(354 Posts)
SparklyGrandma Fri 25-Jan-19 17:04:19

Are you stocking up at home in case Brexit means shortages?

How much money wise and amount?

What are you stocking up on?

kcarter Thu 28-Mar-19 13:48:52

BREXIT is an interesting topic. I hear retailers plan to stockpile ahead to protect their supply chains.

Anyone that can spare a few minutes to complete my survey for my dissertation on food shopping will be much appreciated smile It takes less than 8 minutes!

readingagriculture.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_beH7qy2S9dIcxOB

Thank you in advance smile

jeanie99 Wed 27-Feb-19 01:04:46

No

SueDonim Thu 07-Feb-19 01:17:53

Good point about the candles, Jalima. If the lights do go out, maybe my family will stop making fun of my tea light collection! grin

PECS, a pile of those could come in handy for lighting a fire on which to cook the tea. wink

PECS Wed 06-Feb-19 22:43:27

???

Jalima1108 Tue 05-Feb-19 12:36:21

I have enough knitting yarn to last me …..
And candles in case the lights go out

SueDonim Tue 05-Feb-19 00:57:30

I bought knitting yarn from Aldi today, in case the lights go out and I get bored. Also a giant pack of Pink Panther biscuits, because they were cheap. grin

merlotgran Mon 04-Feb-19 21:53:58

Couldn't find anything to get excited about, SparklyGrandma

Oh yes! A tin of mushy peas. I never buy them so DH will be in for a treat post Brexit. grin

lemongrove Mon 04-Feb-19 21:45:12

Perhaps we should keep emergency bags of Maltesers?

lemongrove Mon 04-Feb-19 21:44:29

Weevils don’t get into the flour, they are already in the flour.Actually you can still use it, they won’t hurt you.

SparklyGrandma Mon 04-Feb-19 20:31:11

merlotgran what did you get for your Brexit stash?

With the snow over the last week the supermarket here has had empty shelves because panic buying of bread, milk and vegetable has emptied them.

lilypollen Thu 31-Jan-19 23:13:07

At the moment other factors are Brexit and now the weather conditions. Supermarkets are always out to make the fast buck.

MamaCaz Thu 31-Jan-19 20:03:29

Day6
It is the scare tactics and a reason to increase prices
Ain't that the truth!
Do the supermarkets think we are stupid? OH and I noticed last week that prices are going up, on shelves filled to the brim with ordinary products. 10p here, 20p there, even in Asda. It's a con and they should be ashamed.

But how do you know that the price rises you mention are down to the supermarkets, rather than suppliers or other factors?

Lazigirl Thu 31-Jan-19 19:52:27

Weevils hatch in flour whether sealed or not Sparkly.

SparklyGrandma Thu 31-Jan-19 19:16:33

I have jars with airtight sealed lids to keep flour, lentils in etc. John Lewis sell them.

lilypollen Thu 31-Jan-19 18:54:11

Tesco today and prices are up on things I regularly buy, not the luxuries! Re flour going off, if it looks ok and smells/tastes ok it's probably safe to use if it has been stored sensibly. Bags have BBE date which means you can use it later. I don't subscribe to the food shortage thing but I've got a bag of wholemeal in the cupboard, 6 months out of date which I think I'll keep for now!

GillT57 Thu 31-Jan-19 15:30:48

Moggie7 we have already discussed, ad nauseum, the difference between this Brexit madness and the millenium bug so, for the last time sigh.....the millenium bug was anticipated, planned for, dealt with by experts, does this sound like Brexit to you?

Jalima1108 Thu 31-Jan-19 14:36:46

Yes, we kept flour in the fridge when in Australia.

Flour was on the shopping list today, not because of Brexit or stockpiling, but simply because we had run out. There was a fair amount on the shelves - but no GF flour!

Lazigirl Thu 31-Jan-19 14:21:52

That's a good idea SueDomin. Problem is, some posters fridges and freezers apparently stuffed with Brexit supplies!

SueDonim Thu 31-Jan-19 14:13:42

If you really need to hoard flour it can be kept in the fridge or freezer to prevent weevils. That's what I did when living in a hot climate.

PECS Thu 31-Jan-19 12:44:49

moggie but many warnings and precautions were taken to minimise the Millennium bug. Someone has already posted a link about the damage it did cause though!

moggie57 Thu 31-Jan-19 12:42:01

deft not. its just like the millenium they said things would grind to a halt. what a load of hogwash .get a bread maker if you really sure food supply will stop ,you can always get some hens and a cow ...

PECS Thu 31-Jan-19 12:38:52

Unfortunately some big business people will use any reason to increase profits.

I think it is hard for any of us mere mortals to actually know how much so called project fear is being artificially manipulated or is a real concern. I suspect, as in most things, that there is some truth in the belief that there will be products, currently easily available, that will be more difficult and expensive to buy post 29th March. We would be foolish to imagine it will be the same!

Day6 Thu 31-Jan-19 11:34:59

It is the scare tactics and a reason to increase prices

Ain't that the truth!

Do the supermarkets think we are stupid? OH and I noticed last week that prices are going up, on shelves filled to the brim with ordinary products. 10p here, 20p there, even in Asda. It's a con and they should be ashamed.

I hate the way they are cashing in on Brexit (which hasn't even happened) but all the Project Fear scaremongering is to blame. It's a bit like all the rounding UP (never down) that was done when we embraced decimalisation.

No, no stocking up here. Farmers fields surround almost every large town and city in the UK and the lorries crowding our roads, as they have been for decades, will continue to deliver to the shops.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 31-Jan-19 11:09:46

Our local co-op had full shelves this mornin, including all flours.

Urmstongran Thu 31-Jan-19 10:27:05

Lemon ??

And why on earth did I say 30th June?
I meant 30th March. Obviously! Mind you, the way things are going ..... ?