Gransnet forums

Food

Found in the fridge...

(79 Posts)
Gonegirl Sat 02-Mar-19 12:51:15

A packet of Black Farmer pork chipolatas, 4 days past their use by date. They smell fine. Look fine. Been in fridge since Ocado delivered.

To eat or not to eat?

Ilovecheese Sat 02-Mar-19 12:54:09

I would

nanasam Sat 02-Mar-19 12:54:48

Cook very well through, eat and enjoy.

EllanVannin Sat 02-Mar-19 12:56:28

Personally I know I wouldn't enjoy them for thinking that they were 4 days gone, so I'd bin them, but that's me.

Grammaretto Sat 02-Mar-19 12:57:42

Throw them out! My DS developed food poisoning a few hours after eating sausages which admittedly hadn't been in a fridge . He had taken them youth hosteĺling . He should have cooked them on the first night but he didn't. He was very sick.

Gonegirl Sat 02-Mar-19 13:00:39

Hmm. Perhaps it's not worth it. They were part of an offer so I only paid £2.50 for them. Just hate food waste. But hate being sick too

Thanks for answers. x

RosieLeah Sat 02-Mar-19 13:08:11

I wouldn't risk it. Even though the meat content is probably quite low, sausages are made with the 'left-over bits'....the bits that decompose more quickly than the prime cuts.

Farmor15 Sat 02-Mar-19 13:58:09

Eat - sausages have a lot of preservatives that keep the bad bugs at bay combined with proper refrigeration. They can get soured by some bacteria which gives them an off smell, but not harmful but you wouldn't be likely to eat. Brocothrix thermosphacta is main spoilage organism (says retired microbiologist, showing off!)

We had some very tasty sausages last sunday that were about 3 days past use-by date. If they didn't have preservatives they would be causing food poisoning all the time - Botulism comes from latin name for sausage (more showing off blush)

Kittye Sat 02-Mar-19 14:36:42

I’d definitely bin!! Might eat them one day past the date, even then I’d convince myself they tasted “funny” ☹️

Gettingitrightoneday Sat 02-Mar-19 15:43:54

Four days is not particularly long if they have been kept properly.
Try it on your dog.
Runs for cover.

Charleygirl5 Sat 02-Mar-19 15:47:18

I would bin them and I certainly would not try them on an animal!!!!!

grannyqueenie Sat 02-Mar-19 16:17:08

I’m in the “go on eat them” camp!

Maggiemaybe Sat 02-Mar-19 16:17:43

Oh no, don’t give them to the dog, imagine the poop you’d have to scoop. envy

I’m laidback about most things, but I wouldn’t eat meat or fish so far past the use by date.

I did recently consume a huge slab of GDS2’s birthday cake that had been in the freezer for 20 months, in the full knowledge that 15 little urchins had spat over it while blowing the candles out (twice). Regretted it when my stomach started burbling dramatically, but got away with it. The rest of it’s in the food recycling bin now.

Gonegirl Sat 02-Mar-19 16:31:05

I 'avent got a flipping dog!

They're in the bin. Have been for a couple of hours. Slightly regretting it. Farmor sounds like she knows a thing or two.

Gonegirl Sat 02-Mar-19 16:32:02

I would at least have taken the icing off Maggiemaybe. hmm

Gonegirl Sat 02-Mar-19 16:32:17

wink

Maggiemaybe Sat 02-Mar-19 16:39:12

But the icing’s the best bet! grin

Gonegirl Sat 02-Mar-19 16:43:18

Hmmm. Along with the bugs? ? ?

mumofmadboys Sat 02-Mar-19 16:55:00

If a microbiologist says they are ok to eat, they are ok to eat.

Farmor15 Sat 02-Mar-19 17:02:26

It all depends what it is and whether going to be cooked or not. I'd be much more wary about packet of ham opened a few days and in and out of fridge, even if within date. Or some salads.

Bit of random information - I had 2 students do projects - one counted bacteria in raw sausages the other in some salad (lettuce and tomato) from salad bar. The raw sausages had fewer bacteria than salad by quite a wide margin. Of course we didn't know what type - a small number of "bad bugs" can do much more harm than loads of harmless ones.

Grammaretto Sat 02-Mar-19 17:06:27

I've done my level 2 food hygiene course and passed it's almost impossible to fail and I'm glad I have preserved you from a possible upset tummy gonegirl or worse.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 03-Mar-19 09:26:27

Gosh I just don't know, though I think I'd bin them just to be on the safe side. I read somewhere that modern food has chemicals added to make they that they don't smell so a sniff test may not be sufficient.
I probably wouldn't eat them as my immune system isn't what it was as a long-term side-effect of chemo. Perhaps the advice they give to pregnant women, the very young, old or frail - may be best to take care.

vickya Sun 03-Mar-19 09:30:35

I ate a Tescos spag bol ready meal on Wednesday that was 3 days over the use by date. It was ok and I was ok too. I hate throwing food away. On the other hand I have had veg delivered that is short date and when i go to use it a day over it smells off and I don't use it. Me and Tescos fell out over that.

Gma29 Sun 03-Mar-19 09:33:22

I’d probably cook them, (sniffing them suspiciously the whole time), then bin them because I would have convinced myself they smelt odd.

A day out of date, yes, I would eat them, but 4 days is too much for me to risk!

Minerva Sun 03-Mar-19 09:38:56

I would boil them hbefore frying/grilling) to make 100% sure they are cooked through. If they have been kept refrigerated and don’t smell or look as if they have deteriorated I would happily eat them. I have never taken much notice of sell by dates and never had food poisoning.