Gransnet forums

Food

What’s your quick hot meal?

(70 Posts)
Urmstongran Sun 03-Mar-19 16:23:01

You know when you can’t be bothered to cook yet you’re hungry and would like a hot meal?

Mine for the last few weeks is so easy! It’s a cheat really but we love it. It’s in the oven now (whilst we read and enjoy a glass of wine!)

4 chicken thighs covered with a small bottle of Nando’s peri peri hot sauce. Cook for 45 minutes, turning once (I know, all that effort) and when done I ping a pouch of mushroom rice in the microwave for 2 minutes. Job done and delicious!

What’s yours?

bikergran Sun 03-Mar-19 19:09:00

Red/Green Thia curry sauce mix (all the ingredients in the bag (coconut milk/thia mix etc) from Aldi then just buy bag of prawns , slosh in pan (around 5 mins) microwavable rice and bingo. (dd made it for tea tonight)

M0nica Sun 03-Mar-19 19:10:08

Waitrose steak and kidney pudding.

Menopaws Sun 03-Mar-19 19:17:52

Microwave potato, tin of pink or red salmon on top with butter, lovely!

Happychops Sun 03-Mar-19 19:20:25

Salmon and roast veg. Pop all in one dish.sprinkle with a bit of oil salt and paprika.pop in the oven. I then use the leftover with cous cous and eat cold.mmmmmmmn absolutely delicious.

seacliff Sun 03-Mar-19 19:21:27

Glad I'm not alone Humpty and others! I think baked beans are quite nutritious.

Urmstongran, I may try your idea for my non veggie DH, but not with a very hot sauce. I love things that look impressive but are actually easy.

This is not hot, but it's one of my most satisfying quick meals, which I even take with me if travelling or for a meal at work. Just a muesli and jumbo oats mix with some dried fruit, seeds and nuts, and linseed. Add chopped apple, blueberries, grapes, any other fruit and several dollops of Greek yoghurt. Delicious, quite healthy and satisfying.

1inamillion Sun 03-Mar-19 19:49:59

A tin of chopped tomatoes, add some fresh thyme and a little chopped onion, heat through in microwave. Cook some pasta for 10 mins. Open a tin of tuna and sir through the pasta along with the sauce, top with any grated cheese.
Garlic slices a must and they take less time to cook.

EllanVannin Sun 03-Mar-19 20:37:03

Some brilliant ideas here, and Tanith, I have either a beef or chicken stir-fry in the week and add grated ginger. Towards the end I throw in a portion of rice noodles which only take minutes to cook. It really looks like a Chinese !
I like quick and easy but nourishing and tasty too. Most of the time I'm doing time-consuming dinners just for myself so these ideas are just the job.

Jalima1108 Sun 03-Mar-19 21:04:46

Last night I just could not think what we could have for dinner - then a pack of beef strips, onion, garlic, throw in a stock cube, water, tomato puree, Worcester sauce, greek yogurt and paprika produced beef stroganoff in a short time.
Served with boil in the bag rice.

Otherwise, sausage mash and beans or salmon, jacket potato and broccoli.

Jalima1108 Sun 03-Mar-19 21:06:25

Or stirfry - thrown together in the wok!

Grandma70s Sun 03-Mar-19 21:39:46

Beans and/or eggs on toast. Otherwise a quick hot meal comes from Marks and Spencer and goes in the microwave.

Bathsheba Sun 03-Mar-19 22:20:32

I have an Instant Pot (electric pressure cooker), so a quick hot meal is not a problem. One of my go-to meals is sausage, pasta and beans. I sauté a chopped onion with the sausages in the IP, then add pasta and stock, together with any flavourings, herbs etc. Set to high pressure for 5 minutes, and stir in a tin of baked beans once the pressure is released. So quick and so tasty!

Charleygirl5 Sun 03-Mar-19 22:31:34

I do not like pizza, poached, fried eggs or beans. One of my favourite dishes which takes 4 minutes if that is microwavable scrambled egg with cheese and 2 slices of toast. Spag bol is also easy as is a stir fry like tanith's. Half the time I am minus some of the ingredients but to date, I have never starved.

BradfordLass72 Mon 04-Mar-19 00:37:30

Always fish in the freezer so I throw a bit of milk in a frying pan, cook the fish, add chopped, fresh silver beet or spinach, thicken milk with a bit of cornflour and add fresh parsley.

That's enough for me without carbs but another quick meal I like is a handful of frozen veg thrown into boiling veg stock with a bit of risoni.

Two eggs beaten. Chopped spinach added to a bit of butter and sauteed, then scramble the eggs in it.

Baked potato and cottage cheese if I feel like a carb meal (not often) with a knob of butter.

Fried egg in a warm croissant. Or grilled bacon and fresh tomato in one.

Mini pita bread filled with lettuce, cucumber, spring onion and tomato and a boiled (cold) egg.

Bowl of Rice Krispies and a banana smile

tiredoldwoman Mon 04-Mar-19 06:07:37

cheese on toast !

BradfordLass72 Mon 04-Mar-19 06:56:14

Ooh yes, tiredoldwoman especially as I now have Toast-bags, which make it so much easier.

Gettingitrightoneday Mon 04-Mar-19 07:04:47

I could not think what to make last night.
A rather tired aubergine roasted, I used up a small cauliflower fried in turmeric.

Could not be bothered to do potatoes so I grated two crusts of wholemeal bread, stirred in some parsley and grated cheese and put the remains of a small block of feta cheese on top and baked it .
It was remarkably good. What my late mother in law would have called knocked up rough.

Greyduster Mon 04-Mar-19 07:26:23

Pan fried sea bass fillets, with a rocket and cherry tomato salad and a ciabatta roll. Ready in minutes, completely delicious.

henetha Mon 04-Mar-19 10:21:49

Cook any left over veg with a handful of any pasta.
While that's cooking make a cheese sauce. Drain veg and pasta, stir in cheese sauce. You can also stir in any left over ham etc. If you are feeling energetic than grate cheese over the top and grill.
Nice healthy/tasty meal done in 20 minutes.

annep1 Mon 04-Mar-19 10:44:02

Some of these are what I do if I'm feeling energetic!!
Favourite easy meal (apart from pizza) is Fish fingers,thick crinkly oven chips, both no work at all, and baked beans. Must be particular brands.

annsixty Mon 04-Mar-19 10:54:08

I use the Nando'sdry seasoning in a bag. Lemon and been for me.
4 chicken thighs, shake with the powder in the parchment bag and put in the oven where a jacket potato has been cooking for half an hour.
After 30 mins cut off the top of the bag to brown the chicken and job done.
I try to eat more fruit on that day but frankly I am no longer obsessive about 5 a day?

annsixty Mon 04-Mar-19 10:56:00

Herb of course not been!
Should add I only eat 2 thighs and have the other 2 cold with salad the next day.

1inamillion Mon 04-Mar-19 10:59:30

Cauli (or broccoli) Cheese made with Delia's cheese sauce. Makes enough to freeze for another time.
We have this with a steak, a bought pie, any fish, roast veg, pasta or baked potatoes, sweet potatoes bake more quickly.

annsixty Mon 04-Mar-19 11:02:43

Am I the only person who doesn't like sweet potato ( or chilli)?

1inamillion Mon 04-Mar-19 11:05:26

Urmstongran - if you like chicken thighs try Nigella's Spanish Chicken, all baked on one tray in the oven. I par boil some baby new pots first before adding though.

JackyB Mon 04-Mar-19 11:13:44

Quickest comfort food is a couple of slices of toast - 3 mins in the toaster. 1,2 or 3 tomatoes, pricked and zapped for 2-3 mins in the microwave. Butter toast, pour on tomatoes, salt and eat. 3 mins is probably the quickest you can do a hot meal.

If you have 10mins (and can wait that long), boil pasta and chuck some prawns or shrimps in a frying pan. When they are done, add a half carton each of cream and passata. If the shrimps are already cooked, they can be stirred straight into the drained pasta and warmed through with the passata and cream. (Less washing up this way)

Add seasoning and herbs whilst cooking.