Gransnet forums

Food

What's for tea tonight?

(125 Posts)
threesugars Fri 15-Mar-19 15:08:32

We've got some leftover veg bits to use up so I'm doing a stirfry with cashew nuts throw in. Tomorrow is Saturday curry night and my OH is making his own recipe rogan josh which is just delicious. What are you having?

Greenfinch Fri 15-Mar-19 19:37:18

I have just got in so we are having a £10 meal from Tesco: mushroom Stroganoff,potatoes dauphinous (?spelling) followed by lemon cheesecake,washed down with a bottle of white wine. Just put it in the oven and looking forward to it.

moggie57 Fri 15-Mar-19 19:44:04

tea-jacket potato ,one small one, 2 oz cheese.2 rice cakes coming home from breast screening day ,and a bottle of homemade lime juice.and some gelatine free jellies as a treat. oh and one cup of american vanilla filter coffee.plenty of water before bedtime,.,,,

Urmstongran Fri 15-Mar-19 20:09:06

Pants isn’t it moggie?

andycameron69 Sat 16-Mar-19 09:04:10

moussaka sounds yummy...hungry now

gillybob Sat 16-Mar-19 09:17:16

We always used to have a takeaway on a Friday night but it somehow dwindled after Christmas when DH wasn’t eating . Anyway last night I made Gino D’acampo’s bolognese which is a bit faffy but worth the extra effort as it’s truly delicious and not like any other bolognese you will have had. I always make twice more than I need so we will get another meal later in the week.

Speldnan Sat 16-Mar-19 09:17:39

Presume you mean ‘dinner’?

inishowen Sat 16-Mar-19 09:20:54

We were going to have tandoori chicken and salad. However we had to go and babysit, and our son ordered pizzas and dough balls for us! Not at all healthy. To top it all, he gave me a box of chocolates as a thank you. Ah well, the healthy eating can begin today.

sluttygran Sat 16-Mar-19 09:43:12

Having a glass of cold water and maybe a ginger biscuit. Just getting over a nasty virus and mostly avoiding food. hmm

Barmeyoldbat Sat 16-Mar-19 09:51:58

Todays menu is home made veg soup and cheese for lunch. Evening meal, after the rugby, will be aubergine stuffed with mince in a tomato sauce, salad and crusty bread, followed by pears and custard. Plus a beer shandy.

Nanny41 Sat 16-Mar-19 09:52:57

I think "Tea" and "Dinner" have the same meanng, its just a North and South divider again! Its something to eat at a certain time of day.

tiredoldwoman Sat 16-Mar-19 10:01:07

I'm getting cooked for tonight ! So it's a non diet meal - lasagne with garlic bread and probably wine . Hard rations tomorrow !

gillybob Sat 16-Mar-19 10:03:28

We some times have a tea-tea and sometimes have a dinner- dinner. Basically a tea can be a dinner and a dinner can be a tea. Confused? You bet ?

1inamillion Sat 16-Mar-19 10:11:10

Urmstongran you deserve a medal for doing a fast day on a Friday - 5.2?
B9exchange your grandchildren are very lucky kiddies.
Sluttygran - I feel for you as I've recently got over a nasty virus. GP told me to do the BRAT diet, that's bananas,white rice, stewed apple and toast (has to be white toast), it worked for me.
Tonight we will have pasta with a tomato sauce, mushrooms and chorizo bits on top, Parmesan and garlic bread.

1inamillion Sat 16-Mar-19 10:15:01

I'm off to google Gino D' campo's bolognese, then watch James Martin on the tele, which I've taped.

Shelagh6 Sat 16-Mar-19 10:18:54

I call this either Supper or Dinner! Definitely tea is scones and jam and cakes?

Charleygirl5 Sat 16-Mar-19 10:19:04

I found red wine last night to add to my spag bol and what a difference it made- I am really looking forward to tonight's meal and there is sufficient wine left got a glass.

squirrel5 Sat 16-Mar-19 10:25:00

Friday was smallest Gd,5th birthday,so we all went to the local Brewers fayre (she loves the play area),then today DH and I are having Salmon with cheesy sauce and veg,and then a yoghurt,and tomorrow DS and also my brother are coming round,so I plan to do a Sunday roast...pork etc,and lemon meringue pie ..yum

Greciangirl Sat 16-Mar-19 10:32:39

What are Maman potatoes, kitty lester. .?

gillybob Sat 16-Mar-19 10:37:11

www.itv.com/ginositalianescape/recipes/ginos-grandfathers-tagliatelle-alla-bolognese

I’ve made it easy for you linamillian . I promise you it’s worth the effort. smile

kircubbin2000 Sat 16-Mar-19 10:37:28

M and S sausage penne ready meal. Bought for grandson but said he didn't like it so I will have to use it up!

123kitty Sat 16-Mar-19 10:44:51

My lovely daughter's taking me out to supper tonight- so no cooking for me

Kim19 Sat 16-Mar-19 10:51:20

Fried egg roll for me (maybe two if I feel the urge). I read all the elaborate concoctions here and smile that there may a lot of sympathy for me out there. Hope not. I'm salivating at the very thought. Joy unlimited and so easily achievable. Here's hoping we all enjoy whatever we have.

Witzend Sat 16-Mar-19 10:52:57

Egg fried rice with a few little prawns (half a packet of Asda's Smartprice) and some stir-fried veggies.
Because that's all I can think of without having to go and buy anything. Feeling tired after nearly 2 days of toddler care, plus have a nasty cold.
Have just cooked the rice so it'll be cold and ready and I won't have to do it later when most likely flaked out on the sofa with a good book. ?
I'm glad it's looking like a horrible day so I won't feel I ought to be outside doing something Healthy or Useful.

1inamillion Sat 16-Mar-19 10:56:56

Thank you gillybob.

GreenGran78 Sat 16-Mar-19 11:05:38

Am I the only one who isn't really bothered about food? I used to cook for my husband, who worked 'continental shifts' (meals at all kinds of weird times) and my 5 children. I used to do lots of baking too.

Now that I am on my own I rarely bother with cooking anything that takes more than 20 minutes. I have fruit for breakfast. I make a big batch of soup, and usually have a bowl with some toast, for lunch. Dinner/tea is something healthy, but quick and easy to prepare. I haven't even thought about tonight's meal yet.