Gransnet forums

Food

What's for tea tonight?

(125 Posts)
threesugars Fri 15-Mar-19 15:08:32

We've got some leftover veg bits to use up so I'm doing a stirfry with cashew nuts throw in. Tomorrow is Saturday curry night and my OH is making his own recipe rogan josh which is just delicious. What are you having?

KatyK Mon 18-Mar-19 17:18:40

Tonight it's salmon fillet, baked potato and a large salad.

TerriBull Mon 18-Mar-19 17:41:38

Fish pie comprising of salmon, smoked haddock and white haddock, covered with a cheese and chive sauce and because I need to use up some very small potatoes, there seems to be a lot of tiny Maris Pipers in the bags I'm buying at the moment, too small for anything else, so I've sliced them thinly and arranged them on the top.

ninathenana Mon 18-Mar-19 18:34:11

Lincolnshire sausages DD bought in a Boston butchers, mash and onion gravy.

DanniRae Tue 19-Mar-19 08:05:18

Tonight I am having................I haven't a clue because we are eating at our sister-in-laws...........so no cooking...........Hoorah!!

kittylester Tue 19-Mar-19 08:43:36

We had a Waitrose pork thingy yesterday with roast potatoes, red cabbage, cauliflower cheese and peas so tonight it's the Italian omelette, oven chips and salad tonight that we didn't have yesterday.

GabriellaG54 Wed 20-Mar-19 23:34:11

Anything worth turning up for tomorrow (Thursday) ?
If roasties are on anyone's menu then I hope you have an extra chair at your table and dozens of roasties
gringrinblush

kittylester Thu 21-Mar-19 07:37:44

No royalties tonight, sorry!!

Salmon wrapped in pancetta and roasted, minted lemony peas and fried potatoes.

kittylester Thu 21-Mar-19 07:39:02

royalties roasties bloody phone!

loopyloo Thu 21-Mar-19 07:43:21

Interesting that you called the meal "tea". I have been told off by DD for this. It's "dinner". Even for the children at 5,30. I always thought the young ones had nursery tea. Is this a North South thing or a class thing? My DH from NZ calls it tea.
We had a cheese omelette and microwave chips.

andycameron69 Thu 21-Mar-19 07:45:44

roast chicken with roast tatties and veg and chicken gravy

smile
grin

Witzend Thu 21-Mar-19 09:24:38

A one-dish job - a cauliflower/macaroni cheese combo. Lots of very cheesy sauce with some English mustard added.
Breadcrumbs and extra cheese on top, whack under the grill to brown.
It's one of dh's favourites.
I always add any of the green cauliflower leaves that don't look too sad.

GabriellaG54 Thu 21-Mar-19 15:03:25

Me again...?
Lemony minted peas and fried potatoes sounds delish ? however, may I pass on the salmon as I'm not too keen.
I only like cod (or smoked haddock for Sunday brekkie with a poached egg)
The meal sounds 5* so no doubt there will be queues.
Salmon wrapped in pancetta ?...must mention that to friends. It sounds good.

GabriellaG54 Thu 21-Mar-19 15:05:04

Witzend
Mmm...nice. ??

Badenkate Thu 21-Mar-19 15:06:36

Spag bog tonight. Nice and easy after a few hours in the garden.

GabriellaG54 Thu 21-Mar-19 15:09:14

loopyloo
North dinner
South lunch
North tea
South dinner
North jam butties
South supper
wink

crazyH Thu 21-Mar-19 15:10:43

I fancied a pizza today. So took one out of the freezer. I'm on my own. So it will Pizza tonight, tomorrow breakfast and lunch. Wish they did Pizza for one ?

EllanVannin Thu 21-Mar-19 15:15:12

Macaroni cheese and cauli for me too. Piece ( or two ) of lemon cake/loaf.

Greyduster Thu 21-Mar-19 15:30:08

Baked potatoes with chilli out of the freezer, and salad.

tiredoldwoman Thu 21-Mar-19 16:26:47

left over portion of chicken curry , no rice , just extra veg. greek yogurt and berries .

mumofmadboys Thu 21-Mar-19 16:46:58

Creamy leek croustade and carrots for me

TerriBull Thu 21-Mar-19 17:26:36

Just me on my own, husband out for a after golf meal. I'm having a pork chop with sage, broccoli, carrots and a small baked potato. Plus a glass of this wine

TerriBull Thu 21-Mar-19 17:27:00

an not a

Charleygirl5 Thu 21-Mar-19 19:52:02

I am having a vegan stir fry. I am not a vegan but this was reduced in Waitrose and I could not leave it there costing £1.45. All I have to do is cook some rice and it will be ready in no time.

M0nica Sat 23-Mar-19 21:45:37

Charley, surely what you did was buy a stirfry that was made up entirely of vegetables and vegetable based products. Not a meal made for and only to be eaten by vegans, because it contained somthing that other people woudln't eat.

I get very irritated the way if a dish just happens not to contain anything but vegetable based foods, it is described as 'vegan'. It may be suitable for vegans, but cannot be solely vegan. There is nothing unusual about such dishes or meals, they have always formed part of most people's eating patterns.

Yesterday evening, I wasn't feeling very hungry, so my evening meal consisted of a mix of salad vegetables with a French dressing and some fruit. This morning I ate much the same with a glass of fruit juice and a cup of coffee.

Consuming neither of these meals makes me or my choice of foods vegan.

I then had chicken soup and a cheese roll for lunch.