Gransnet forums

Food

Very easy fairy cakes for v little ones to make

(17 Posts)
Witzend Sun 17-Mar-19 09:27:13

I dare say others will have thought of this, but just thought I'd mention for anyone else.

Gdcs are still only 2 and 3 but do love cooking, so after a trial at home I just melt the butter and add a little baking powder to the SR flour, so rather than creaming butter and sugar, it's very easy for them just to mix everything up.
Obviously a lot of granny-help is still needed, but they do enjoy doing so much of it themselves,

Fennel Sun 17-Mar-19 09:36:00

For such young children it might be an idea to buy a packet mix. I think they just need an egg added.
There's usually a picture on the packet to get them interested.

Greyduster Sun 17-Mar-19 09:50:20

I think a packet is probably the way to go until they have a little more control over the process! I did this with GS. It was very easy to miss with a (Gruffalo) wooden spoon. When, at a later stage, he thought my electric hand mixer was the bees knees, but would absent mindedly take it out of the mixture before he switched it off and it would take me a week to clean up the kitchen. He thought it was hilarious!

Greyduster Sun 17-Mar-19 09:50:45

Mix not miss!

Gonegirl Sun 17-Mar-19 10:02:13

Just let them spoon into the bowl (counting) 4 tablespoons SR flour, 2 spoons of sugar and a good lump of soft marg. Let them break in a couple of eggs, and sir well (the fun bit).

Add enough water icing and sweeties on top, and they'll think they're yummy. (probably will be too).

Gonegirl Sun 17-Mar-19 10:02:45

Please don't go down the cake mix route.

gillybob Sun 17-Mar-19 10:09:34

My older DGD’s love to bake and very much enjoy the whole process including weighing the ingredient out . You don’t get that with a packet mix.

Gonegirl Sun 17-Mar-19 10:15:04

You're right Gillybob. At this young age though, 2 and 3, perhaps counting tablespoonfuls might be easier.

And it's not a bad idea to show them that simple cakes can be made without scales if necessary. You can point out that the spoonfuls of flour should be rounded whilst the spoonfuls of sugar should be level.

toscalily Sun 17-Mar-19 11:45:46

My two youngest granddaughters now 4 & 5 love baking. I find the "all in one" method using soft margerine works well for a variety of cakes & flavours, take in turns with the mixing which adds to the fun. My two enjoy the preparation, weighing out helps counting skills too. Then supply lots of toppings for the decorating which allows them to be as creative and individual as they like.

Thingmajig Sun 17-Mar-19 12:10:02

I've always baked (usually banana muffins) with dgd and last week we tried making some cupcakes with the about to be 2 year old dgs to give him his first baking experience. It was a bit messy with both kids helping but good fun anyway, Funniest bit was when I was spooning the mix into the cake cases dgs stuck his wee tongue out apparently thinking it was all going in his mouth! They shared the leaning of the bowl chore happily.
Next time it's back to the old muffin recipe which involves rubbing the butter into the flour with the fingers ... dgd's favourite bit. smile

Fennel Sun 17-Mar-19 12:16:45

I agree cake mixes can be 'gross', but at 2 or even 3 I don't think they have the concept of quantity etc yet. They might be able to count, but don't understand what the numbers mean.
Maybe next year.

Luckygirl Sun 17-Mar-19 12:43:04

I think that you need to be careful that the melted butter is not too hot before you add the eggs!!

Witzend Sun 17-Mar-19 13:18:31

For my 2 and 3 year olds, I measure it all out at home into containers, and except for the butter - of course I'm careful with that - I let them tip it all in themselves.

I wouldn't like to use a mix - IMO it's nice for them to see how you make cakes with the basic ingredients.

Needless to say it can all be a bit messy - icing is far from perfectly applied, and we usually end up with quite a few hundreds and thousands all over kitchen table and floor, but who cares?

Granarchist Sun 17-Mar-19 13:36:04

I think we underestimate children. My 4yr old DGD made really good profiteroles last year - and did the Christmas cake - obvs with some help and supervision but she was so proud. I try not to do stuff which is sugar filled so we are heading down the savoury route with shepherds pie etc. Now we need to sort peeling potatoes and chopping.

mcem Sun 17-Mar-19 13:48:54

Don't agree fennel If gran is counting with them it will reinforce the link between the name of the number and concept of quantities.
One-to-one correspondence has to be picked up gradually and this is a perfect way to practise, even with tiny folk.
I'd avoid packet mixes too.

paddyann Sun 17-Mar-19 15:26:33

mine have been baking since they were very young,we dont use packets as the weighing and measuring is important .Wee madam who lives part of the week with us is doing her baking badge at brownies and it has to be photographed at every stage as proof she did it herself ,she's 9.The photos and the cake has to be taken to Brownies on Tuesday .

BradfordLass72 Sun 17-Mar-19 22:48:18

It sounds as if you got it all worked out without descending to cake mix.

You might also try this easy recipe. Flaky pastry sheets, spread with tomato paste (not sauce), finely chopped onion and grated cheese. Roll up and slice into pinwheels. Bake and eat warm.

For a sweet version: melted butter brushed on the pastry, brown sugar and cinnamon sprinkled on top. Roll, slice and cook.

Be creative with these fillings, almost anything works. Jam, fruit, herbs, spices.....