Gransnet forums

Food

Online food shopping

(101 Posts)
Ginny42 Fri 22-Mar-19 10:05:51

Not sure I'm allowed to ask this but... can anyone recommend the best supermarket to order food for delivery? I've always wanted to choose my own.

I injured my foot badly a week ago today and still can't bear a shoe on. I've lived on frozen foods for a week. Nothing wrong with frozen veg, fruit, fish and bread of course, but would like some more variety now.

I managed a little shop at the small shop close by, bananas and salads, but wouldn't be able to trundle round a supermarket then load the car and carry it in when I got home.

Grateful for advice.

moggie Sat 23-Mar-19 10:12:35

I have tried Sainsbury’s, Tesco Ocado, Asda. Of these Ocado very good. Best one I found is Asda their online depot is near us & pay £5 month for delivery, if refund requested very way to do & paid into account promptly.

BlueSapphire Sat 23-Mar-19 10:13:23

Sainsbury's excellent; been using them nearly 10 years. Helpful, polite and friendly drivers who all seemed to know when DH died and were extra kind. Use-by dates good, website easy to use and they email you on the day of delivery to confirm order. I usually go into Sainsbury's on a Friday anyway for a morning out and coffee, so if there's anything missing when my order comes on a Thursday I can get it Friday. I don't like substitutions so always tick the box for no substitutions.

moggie Sat 23-Mar-19 10:13:29

Easy to do ?

sarahellenwhitney Sat 23-Mar-19 10:16:44

My favourites are Tesco and Iceland as these two have excellent specials so I go on line and depending on what I want at that time gets my order. Wish Aldi and Lidl did the same.

SillyNanny321 Sat 23-Mar-19 10:22:11

Have been using Sainsburys for several years now with no problems. Drivers are all friendly & bring goods through to my kitchen & help unpack. If there are any problems they are sorted easily.

lovebooks Sat 23-Mar-19 10:28:02

I've been using Sainsburys since last November, and my only tiny complaint so far has been ordering a single yam and getting one big enough to obliterate a small city (chain saw needed!) My problem is the minimum order thing, only partially solved by buying multiples. I'm in a leg/ankle cast at present, so can't shop. I have good friends/neighbours who happily pick up the odd thing for me, but they can't be 'on tap', and you can't do multiples of fresh fruit/vegetables etc. Multiples of booze are (too!) easy, though, and do push the bill up quickly. Not planning to open a bar just yet, though.

sunshinebear Sat 23-Mar-19 10:32:40

Sainsburys hands down for me

Craftycat Sat 23-Mar-19 10:35:25

I had to resort to home shopping when I broke my foot 1 couple of years ago & could not drive.
I shop mainly at Sainsbury's with a top up at Waitrose mid week so I got Sainsbury's to deliver.
I have to say they were excellent & the lovely driver carried everything through to kitchen for me as I would have struggled on crutches. I always got the same delivery man who was polite & friendly. I wrote to them afterwards to compliment him.
I was very glad to get back to doing my own shopping but I had no problems at all with their service or the odd substitution they had to make.
My DiL has switched from Tesco to Sainsbury's for her delivery now too as she got so many substitutions that were nothing like the item she had ordered.
It is all down to the delivery man & the staff who fill out your order & some areas will be better with one shop whereas in another area a different shop will be better- try them all!

Alexa Sat 23-Mar-19 10:36:50

I recommend Tesco for efficiency and nice drivers. I understand that drivers' duties include unpacking the stuff on to your kitchen table or wherever. For the price currently being charged for picking, packing, and delivery it's the best bargain ever!

Remember you can buy hardware and household stuff along with the groceries! Enjoy!

Tweedle24 Sat 23-Mar-19 10:49:57

I have used

BusterTank Sat 23-Mar-19 10:50:20

I have been using asda for the last eight years . They have the cheepest prices on most items . If you have a substitute you don't like , the driver will always take it back and take it of your bill . In eight years I have only ever had two problems . Once the computers went down , so I couldn't get my shopping . The next the van broke down but I could of click and collect from the store , but I chose not to. So I reordered and it was delivered in a couple of days . Also if there are any problems they give you a ten pounds evoucher of your next shop . my family doesn't,t like Tesco food . I find the quality of the asda food better , even on there cheaper ranges . I hope this has been of some help .

Tweedle24 Sat 23-Mar-19 10:55:00

Sorry! Touched the ‘post’ button by mistake!
I have used Ocado for many years and have never had a problem. The drivers are brilliant. I live in an upside-down house so the kitchen is upstairs. They always offer to carry the shopping up for me. I accept if it is particularly heavy and they put it exactly where I ask. I get very few substitutions and, even when I do, they are always sensible ones.

Gad3 Sat 23-Mar-19 10:56:09

I've tried all the supermarkets on line and Morrisons is best for quality, delivery, price and customer service.

optimist Sat 23-Mar-19 10:56:10

I have been using OCADO every week for about ten years. Rarely do I visit a supermarket. Always brilliant rarely have substititions. delivery drivers generally excellent.

Jaycee5 Sat 23-Mar-19 11:11:52

I am quite happy with Sainsburys, although I don't accept substitutions as they can be strange and I don't always notice them until the driver leaves.
Don't order too many ready meals as they will probably all expire about 3 days after delivery (if you are lucky). They probably differ locally so it is probably worth giving them all a go.
Whichever you use, think about going through Easyfundraising so that you can donate to charity without spending anything.

Fernbergien Sat 23-Mar-19 11:12:44

I was going to say same as Alexa. Had tried Sainsbury but had surly bloke who would not help me although I explained etc. Tesco chaps charming. Substitutions sensible. If you are “ up the creek” at moment consider them as they will put things on work surface but Sainsbury won’t. Sainsbury I have been told only deliver to ground floor.

Jaycee5 Sat 23-Mar-19 11:18:56

Fernbergien I am on the first floor and Sainsbury's deliver to the kitchen with no problems. They can be a bit impatient for me to unload everything more quickly than I can but generally they have been nice.
I have more trouble with Companies delivering parcels who act as if they have been asked to climb Mt. Everest. It can't be that unusual for people to live in flats and order things but it seems to always take them by surprise.

Sussexborn Sat 23-Mar-19 11:19:09

Haven’t done internet shopping since OH retired two years ago. I used Tesco from the very early days and found their site easier to use but would guess most have been improved by now. I liked the fact that it was easy to take full advantage of special offers and if the price crept up it was easy to go through and remove a few treats or extras. DD1 has used Asda for years and seems happy with the service.

Tesco did make an odd substitute once. £12 worth of cod fillets for a packet of fish fingers! No problem when it was rejected but I did wonder what happened to the rejected items.

I couldn’t get on with mySupermarket.co.uk for some reason. It is a comparison site/online grocery site. Might have been improved now but made my head spin at the time.

For a while the drivers weren’t allowed to bring the shopping indoors as some idiot claimed that a bottle of bleach had leaked and ruined their flooring. It was found that they hadn’t even ordered any bleach!

The son of one elderly lady lived in Scotland and used to order for his Mum who lived near us in the West Midlands which allowed her to live in her own home for longer.

Shazmo24 Sat 23-Mar-19 11:32:43

I've used Asda, Sainsbury's & Tesco and all have been fine - look at the delivery costs for the times you want to be delivered to.
Ocado has been the delivery arm of Waitrose but they are going to start in their own right.
In certain areas Morrison's also deliver & I've recently heard that M&S are going to start a delivery service too

Fernbergien Sat 23-Mar-19 11:35:42

Thanks for that Jaycee obviously been misinformed and therefore would no wish to put anyone off. I guesss some delivery chaps don’t put themselves in older people’s shoes. I am going to stick with Tesco has had good service.

Nvella Sat 23-Mar-19 11:36:01

I use Ocado but will stop when they begin to only deliver M & S and I will switch to Waitrose. Quite annoyed about it. Dont mind Marks but have a local one and prefer to have more brands available than just M & S

Shazmo24 Sat 23-Mar-19 11:36:21

Have always had the stuff brought into kitchen and I use the no bags option but Tesco adds only 40p onto the shop no matter how many bags you use

Rosina Sat 23-Mar-19 11:53:05

Depends where you are living I think - Asda delivered a load of smashed eggs to my friend - she saw the driver drop the bag on her pathway and hastily pick it up; a row ensued as he said he wasn't the person who had broken them, and somehow therefore expected her to accept them,. I have had a few run ins with Sainsbury's deliveries - pet food for one with very badly dented tins shrink wrapped, which told me that they were palming off bent tins on delivery customers as the shrink wrap was undamaged! Overall we have found Waitrose and Ocado to be best. Incidentally I have read that M and S are likely to be pairing up with Ocado, if you wanted their goods delivered it might be an option soon!

Rosina Sat 23-Mar-19 11:55:07

Nvella the article I read about M and S and Ocado did suggest that they would be offering a lot more ranges than their own - and our local store carries a lot of other brands now.

daffers Sat 23-Mar-19 11:56:40

Have used Asda for about 10 years now and very satsfied. Pay £24 pa for unlimited deliveries Tues/Wed/Thu. Minimum spend £40.