Gransnet forums

Food

Online food shopping

(101 Posts)
Ginny42 Fri 22-Mar-19 10:05:51

Not sure I'm allowed to ask this but... can anyone recommend the best supermarket to order food for delivery? I've always wanted to choose my own.

I injured my foot badly a week ago today and still can't bear a shoe on. I've lived on frozen foods for a week. Nothing wrong with frozen veg, fruit, fish and bread of course, but would like some more variety now.

I managed a little shop at the small shop close by, bananas and salads, but wouldn't be able to trundle round a supermarket then load the car and carry it in when I got home.

Grateful for advice.

Sheilasue Sat 23-Mar-19 15:02:14

I shop on line with Waitrose they always send an email if I have a substitution and I get a text when the driver is going to come to my home.
Much prefer Waitrose and no therenot expensive there are the same as the other online supermarket, there microwave rice is 49p compared to uncle bens rice. And a few other things if you search around.

Litlmissbuttons Sat 23-Mar-19 15:21:20

I have an Ocado delivery every 3 weeks, with top ups at my local Co-op ( who will deliver your goods in some areas ). Weds del at O is free and they also give you 5p for every plastic carrier that you give them, including ones from other shops. Iceland also provide a free delivery service. You could try fresh box people such as abel and cole for fruit/veg and wiltonwholefoods.com for dried fruit/nuts, rices, grains, oats, big tubs of spices ( that work out a lot cheaper than the small supermarket ones ), big bottles of soya and chilli sauces, curry paste/sauce, various chutneys/pickles ( my favourite is Bombay Duck pickle, which is named after the small fish and doesn't contain duck. It's delicious with a fried egg and cheese in a pitta bread for a quick lunch! ) as well as most baking products. They deliver very quickly, and the more you order the less you pay for delivery.

Harris27 Sat 23-Mar-19 15:34:21

I agree with the above don't forget Iceland it's not just for frozen foods when I've been poorly I've done full food shop and been really satisfied prices are good too. If you order over £35,delivery is free.

CardiffJaguar Sat 23-Mar-19 15:44:27

For those of you who like M&S the news is that they are forming a new business with Ocada and that their full list of food will be available online. If this goes ahead as planned M&S will join the others in delivering food.

Whether that will mean the deliveries will be better than all the others we shall have to wait and see.

Daisyboots Sat 23-Mar-19 15:52:01

I do online shopping for my son in England as he is useless with money. I found Iceland the best for me as they take PayPal because most of the other supermarkets won't accept my UK credit card with a foreign address. Also my son is liable to ring and say he needs food so I need the next day delivery with free delivery if you spend £35 or over. I find Icelands prices very competitive. I might take a look at Morrison's and see whether they accept my card or accept PayPal.

Barleysugar Sat 23-Mar-19 16:29:16

I find Tesco extremely good & helpful. If you add a note to say you would like an advanced date on certain items they do it without question. The delivery men & women are all delightful. Helpful, cheerful & polite.

Waitrose is my second choice. But I found the delivery people not as good as Tesco.

Caro57 Sat 23-Mar-19 16:30:47

Not all deliver everywhere. We fell out with deliveries when Asda demolished a tree on the way out of our 16’ wide drive and the driver was ‘not bovvered’. In fairness the Manager did come and review and we got compensation but it put us off

Barleysugar Sat 23-Mar-19 16:31:41

Forgot to say, I have a weekly delivery at Tesco with reduced charges. It works out at £1 a week....... less expensive than the fuel would cost to go to the shop! Excellent.

albertina Sat 23-Mar-19 16:57:16

Up to the delivery I had this week, I would have said Sainsbury's are best. Unfortunately this order was a mess with substitutions that were totally unsuitable and 2 ruined items in the bags.
I started ordering online when I broke a vertebra. It's great to have that level of help when you live alone. Not every shop of course, but heavy stuff now and then is a Godsend.

Bijou Sat 23-Mar-19 17:00:25

When I was unable to get out after I came out of hospital last year I had Sainsburys. Was satisfied with the experience. The delivery man was very helpful putting everything on the kitchen table and helping me to unpack. Only thing is that they didn’t have the particular French wine I like!

Tillybelle Sat 23-Mar-19 18:59:29

I did my orders on "My Supermarket" and they find you the Supermarket in your area that is the cheapest for all of your order.

Saetana Sat 23-Mar-19 19:05:00

Have tried with Asda - bloody awful, not to put too fine a point on it. Been with Sainsburys for several years now with virtually no issues - if they have to send you a more expensive substitute (doesn't happen often) then you get a voucher off your next shop. Drivers are lovely and couldn't be more helpful.

GrammaH Sat 23-Mar-19 19:21:41

I've used Tesco from the outset. They were the only ones to deliver to our rural area originally and now all of the supermarkets do. I wouldn't change though - in ten or so years, we've had very few hiccups & the ones we did have were really minor. The drivers are always really friendly, they always meet the time slots and the quality of the products is great.

Sussexborn Sat 23-Mar-19 21:30:59

Since moving here a new Lidl has opened which we use as a corner shop. Initially most shoppers did the same but quite often now there are people doing a big shop. There is also a new Sainsbury’s a mile or so away so we tend to go there. There’s been a huge increase in employees wandering around with very large trollies presumably for online shoppers. Perhaps they used to do it at night as it is a recent phenomenon.

kitnsimon Sun 24-Mar-19 08:38:01

I would say Ocado is definately the best delivery service . I have tried all in the past. Waitrose are usually late and there is always something not available ! Morrisons are very good,
probably because they are the same delivery service as Ocado. Ocado are always on time and everything is there !!

kitnsimon Sun 24-Mar-19 08:40:42

I forgot to say, if ypu sign up with Ocado delivery is free for three months then £1.99 for the next 9 months. You have to spend £40 but that is not difficult !!!

Maggiemaybe Sun 24-Mar-19 09:34:47

Just pick the one that offers the best introductory offer and try it. Then if you decide to stick with online shopping in future (which I highly recommend), try the others for the introductory offers too. You’ll find they all compete for your business and will send money off vouchers. I use Tesco, Sainsburys and Ocado, occasionally Morrisons when they send a very rare offer, and they’re all very good. At the moment I’m working through four weeks worth of Sainsburys vouchers - £9 off a £60 shop - and choosing 50p/£1 delivery slots. Prior to that I had Ocado vouchers and still have a few weeks of a free 3 month delivery pass from them - they do email occasional 50% off offers just for delivery pass customers. Tesco will send vouchers through soon.

The only one I don’t use is Asda, who made a complete pig’s ear of my only two orders, but I’m sure that was a local issue.

Grandma70s Sun 24-Mar-19 09:38:02

I’ve been using Ocado for many years, well over ten. Almost always very good. I occasionally use Tesco for a change, and they’ve been fine, too. Because I live on my own I would prefer to be able to spend under £40 sometimes, but it’s worth it to avoid crowds and queuing and heavy bags. It’s just so easy. I only wish it had existed when my children were small!

cc Mon 25-Mar-19 13:23:08

Daisyboots Ocado take Paypal too.

kwest Mon 25-Mar-19 23:34:52

We only have food delivered if we are going on holiday and the family are joining us or if they are all coming to us for Christmas.
In North Devon we had Tesco. The driver threw a tantrum when he saw where we were staying.( you had to cross a little bridge and pass two other houses to get to ours). There was nearly £300.00 of shopping. The driver said that the order should not have been accepted and he was not going to carry it to the house.( there was a big trolley on the house for this very purpose). We had arrived before the family and the driver stood and watched my husband who was nearly 70 at that time carry this vast amount of shopping , which took several trips, to the house. He was exhausted.We vowed never to buy anything from Tesco again.
We go up to North Yorkshire every year and the family join for a long weekend whilst we stay for 10 days. Sainsbury's deliver and their drivers are brilliant, they bring everything into the kitchen. I would not use anyone else as they are so good.
At home for Christmas or big family occasions we use Waitrose. They are excellent but did substitute normal roast potatoes for very small ones. Luckily I had made a big tray of normal roast potatoes myself so it didn't matter.
I suspect it might be cheaper to have the shopping delivered but we have a brilliant selection of supermarkets within easy reach, at every price point, so on a weekly basis for the two of us we have never really got into it.

breeze Thu 25-Apr-19 14:13:08

I take back everything nice I said about Sainsburys angry

Received a text from them this morning saying our shop would be delivered between 10 - 11 a.m. Waited all morning for the delivery. DH rang at lunchtime. They said system had gone down at our depot so no shopping. No one bothered to call or inform us.

DH said when can you deliver it then. Was told the order has been cancelled shock angry would have to be a reorder and first slot available sunday shock

Told them that wasn't good enough and was effectively told to do one. Not their fault. System down. So get lost.

Just switched to Morrisons as only one who could fit us in for tomorrow (will have to be takeaway this evening as nothing defrosted) and will then consider monthly Morrisons and weekly Waitrose/Ocado.

I am livid. Their attitude stank. Not even an attempt to help us with our order.

Bye Bye Sainsburys.

M0nica Fri 26-Apr-19 14:02:07

Many of these supermarkets do not use the local branch to fill boxes, they have separate warehouses dealing with hoem deliveries.

I know this because Tesco planned to build one in our villag , just before their financial catstrophe and in their plans describing how the system would work they said they were basing their plans on the home delivery warehouses they were already operating in other parts of the country. Each warehouse served an area within about a 30 mile radius.

JonathanMetcalf Wed 01-May-19 07:01:51

There is various new item that you can preserve for a longer period of time. Now a day, as we all know one can buy food or vegetable by setting at the home or at the workplace from an online store.

Opalsusanna1 Mon 27-May-19 16:27:38

I struggle to walk a really long way due to PTS (post thrombotic syndrome) so began using Waitrose. They have lovely drivers and we've had a laugh with them down the years. I once forgot to check my end list and got 8 little gem lettuces and 4 bottles of gin as my internet connected and reconnected while I was ordering and I kept pressing the buttons over and over again. Our shopping was once delayed as the driver got the van stuck in a muddy field and the farmer had to get ropes to pull him out and they once sent one pork chop instead of a joint from the butchers counter. Saying tha, they have put right every error and every delivery is free. When we moved, before we made the offer on the house, I had to check that they delivered to the new postcode. Needless to say they did and we bought the house!

johancruyff Wed 12-Jun-19 08:11:09

i always used online shopping best sites for example my favourite shopping site alibaba ebey and amazon.