Gransnet forums

Food

price of butter

(148 Posts)
Fennel Fri 22-Mar-19 12:12:19

Since I had heart problems I've always used sunflower spread, never butter. But now I've decided to treat myself sometimes, and bought some butter, which was delicious.
But the price!
Tesco links give about £1 for sunflower. £3+ for butter.
I still use sunflower for baking.
What do you use?

Gonegirl Fri 22-Mar-19 15:02:04

I must try this President butter. It's a long standing tradition between me and elder GS that I buy, and wrap up, a slab of butter for him every Christmas. Often wonder which one to choose.

Fennel Fri 22-Mar-19 15:14:03

Jalima I have to admit I haven't compared like with like.
I asked the question because this morning I bought a 250g of butter , made in France, which was £3.25. I've bought it before but never really noticed the price.
I keep it out of the fridge.

Fennel Fri 22-Mar-19 15:16:39

ps I've just looked up President butter and it comes from France!

1inamillion Fri 22-Mar-19 15:19:28

President butter for me too, first tried it years ago on holiday in Normandy before it was on sale here. For a real treat though, usually at Christmas it must be Welsh butter, Shir Gar, delicious.

crazyH Fri 22-Mar-19 15:24:14

Lurpak was my favourite but now I buy the unsalted Dairy Manor from Aldi....can't remember the price.

Joelise Fri 22-Mar-19 15:28:12

President butter for me , and it makes the best pastry !

bikergran Fri 22-Mar-19 15:59:53

I have found with any butters (salted) that they seem to be hardly any slat in to taste these days..used to like Redmans Butter...was lovely yellow and you could taste the salt.

They do do a butter with salt crystals in but not seen it around for a while.

bikergran Fri 22-Mar-19 16:00:10

salt not slat hmm

annodomini Fri 22-Mar-19 16:05:01

On hot cross buns it has to be proper butter - preferably President if it's on offer.

Poppyred Fri 22-Mar-19 16:15:58

Always buy pure butter, margarine and spreads full of chemicals. Full fat Greek yogurt, double cream all good for you and filling. Fats are not the enemy - carbs are!!

paddyann Fri 22-Mar-19 16:22:00

Kerrygold or Anchor for me cant stand Lurpak its like lard...I do use it for a whiter buttercream though as the sugar masks the taste

Miep1 Fri 22-Mar-19 16:25:43

I use supermarket own brand salted butter for cooking and Stork/butter for baking. But on toast it HAS to be Normandy butter with salt crystals - don't care at what price - and it lives on the side in a cat-proof butter dish, next to the bread.

Nanabilly Fri 22-Mar-19 16:37:30

I keep my supply of butter in the fridge but the one I'm using is in an airtight container on top of the bread bin or the microwave if I've tidied up .
I always used to use Lurpak until I tried President .

4allweknow Fri 22-Mar-19 17:13:26

I use British butter. Lurpak spreadable has been popular but no more. The price has increased at a terrific rate - £3.75 for 500 grms of spread that contains veg oil and their latest version "softest" is basically veg oil, that's what makes it so spreadable. I've changed to Aldi's Norpak at nearly half the price basically the same ingredients. I do prefer butter though.

Grandma70s Fri 22-Mar-19 17:15:47

Président do a butter with sea salt crystals. It’s available from Ocado. I’ve never tried it but it does sound delicious, so I may give it a go.

Fennel Fri 22-Mar-19 17:19:57

Yes Normandy pride themselves on their milk products. I hope we can still buy them afte the dreaded b.....t.

travelsafar Fri 22-Mar-19 17:21:58

Westick to butter either Anchor or Country Life.Use stork or similar for cooking.

Witzend Fri 22-Mar-19 18:10:00

Must say I'm surprised at how many people are bent on buying foreign butter.
I suspect that in France and Denmark - maybe France in particular - people are rather more enthusiastic about supporting their own farmers.

And what's this about Lurpak being 'all natural ingredients'?
Does anyone imagine that our own butter isn't? I just checked my mostly-used pack of Co-op salted British butter - ingredients are just butter and a little salt.

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Mar-19 18:12:20

I have tried butter with sea salt crystals - Lidl do a Cornish one and it is delicious but I worried about the amount of salt in it.

Anchor is not foreign now, it's made in the UK, not NZ.

My mother used to always buy Lurpak and I must say I like the taste but rarely buy it.

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Mar-19 18:13:23

Anchor is not foreign now, it's made in the UK, not NZ.
And, anyway, NZ has never been, is not, and never will be foreign!

Telly Fri 22-Mar-19 18:28:16

I use Pure spread. You soon lose your taste for butter, I think its about 1.50.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 22-Mar-19 18:49:29

We were given butter with salt crystals in by friends and as far as I know they got it in Waitrose. It was lovely!

Why would you want to lose your taste for butter? At least you know what's in it, and you can either use less of it or use it in slabs but less often if you think you're over-doing it.

Alima Fri 22-Mar-19 19:45:27

Anyone else not use butter or spread at all? It always seems to be a layer of grease in a sarny.

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Mar-19 19:46:08

I use Pure spread
Which one - the Sunflower, Olive or Soya?

Notice: We recently changed our recipe for Pure Sunflower Spread. The aim was to deliver a more buttery taste
confused

I would like to see a list of ingredients and how the fat is solidified, although I did recommend Pure Soya Spread to someone who was lactose intolerant a while ago.

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Mar-19 19:46:57

Alima perhaps, but on toast ….
And it does stop the salad ingredients making the sarnie soggy.