Gransnet forums

Food

Hot Cross Buns!

(50 Posts)
phoenix Sat 30-Mar-19 15:42:54

Hello all, and usual good wishes!

So, Hot Cross Buns, do you prefer them au naturel or toasted? If toasted, then toasted both sides, or just the cut side?

Then there is the "traditional" style or other, for example I saw apple and cinnamon ones on offer in Lidl

What are your thoughts?

PS Have just eaten a traditional one, untoasted, and yes, I know that strictly speaking it's too early, but they were on the counter at the village shop..............blush

crazyH Thu 18-Apr-19 22:06:05

suedoko, only 2 buns ? What about your young DC ?

sodapop Thu 18-Apr-19 21:57:57

Took your advice Nonnie we bought all the wherewithal and my husband is going to make some hot cross buns. Can't wait.

Auntieflo Thu 18-Apr-19 18:15:19

I had to pop into town and buy some at lunch time, as I realised that we didn’t have any for tomorrow's breakfast. (With marmalade for me).
I prefer the traditional ones, no fancy twiddles added.
Years ago I tried making some, they were awful, so now it is the easy option.

Callistemon Thu 18-Apr-19 18:07:20

DH reminisced about when he used to walk down to the local baker's where we lived years ago to bring back a paper bag of hot cross buns fresh from the oven.
It was the only shop in the village which was open on Good Friday.

Callistemon Thu 18-Apr-19 18:06:09

In the interests of research we bought some from M&S and another batch from Tesco (Finest) today.
Normally we don't eat any until Good Friday but because this was research, we tried the M&S ones today with butter.
Very good
We'll try the Tesco ones tomorrow
Then perhaps see if Lidl and Waitrose have any left on Saturday

There's nothing like a home-made one fresh from the oven though smile

BBbevan Thu 18-Apr-19 18:05:32

I remember when the only shop in our village, open on Good Friday, was the baker. And only for hot cross buns. That made them special.
As a young mum I made some hot cross buns. DH said we could cobble the road with them. ?

winterwhite Thu 18-Apr-19 18:04:05

Remember as a child being sent off to queue for them on Maundy Thursday. Then made my own every day from Jane Grigson’s English Food. My pastry crosses became a family joke because either narrow and rather wonky or so broad they covered half the bun.

SueDoku Thu 18-Apr-19 17:55:49

Years ago we were on holiday in Wales with our young DC over Easter. On Good Friday we were in Carnarvon, and we saw a huge queue outside a small baker's shop. On enquiry, I discovered that the baker only produced HCBs on Good Friday - to a recipe that had been in his family for many years...
I bit the bullet and queued while DH took the DC off for an hour - coming out with a bag containing 2 warm buns for each of us. We said we'd have one now and take the other back to eat later -- then we sat on a bench and ate the lot..!!
That was about 35 years ago - and we all still agree that no hot cross bun has come anywhere near them - one of our happiest (& strongest) holiday memories..! smile

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 02-Apr-19 09:45:05

I want one now and I'm too impatient to toast or warm them up in any way. Lashings of proper butter please. Sighs at one's expanding waistline.

M0nica Tue 02-Apr-19 09:41:58

BradfordLass come to my local bakery. Not the cheapest around but all their wares are to die for.

David1968 Tue 02-Apr-19 08:54:19

Oooooooh! I want a hot cross bun now!

BradfordLass72 Tue 02-Apr-19 07:35:21

If I could find a Hot Cross Bun which was made without the horrible chemical taste (no idea what it is) I'd eat in any way I could get it.

CanadianGran Mon 01-Apr-19 23:19:18

I've never seen anything but traditional sort, and I usually only buy them for Good Friday and Easter. I think they were meant to be a treat for after Lent, although I am not really religious.

Cut it half, toasted on the cut side, with butter... oh yummy!

JessK Mon 01-Apr-19 21:47:18

Love hot cross buns and will eat them hot or cold. Left overs are great made into bread and butter pudding using the buns instead of plain bread. Lovely ?

Bellanonna Mon 01-Apr-19 08:27:56

Warmed in the oven. Buttered. Only around Easter.

grannyrebel99 Sun 31-Mar-19 22:54:46

Love a hot cross bun toasted but could only eat one on Good Friday!

kathsue Sun 31-Mar-19 19:12:17

Down here in Devon we sometimes have clotted cream on them.

GabriellaG54 Sun 31-Mar-19 18:18:28

Cut in half, toasted in the toaster and spread with decent local butter (if possible)
I make them myself as I don't like sultanas, raisins or mixed peel not any of the ridiculous varieties such as choc chip or cinnamon and apple.
Currants only.

1inamillion Sun 31-Mar-19 12:03:30

M0nica I love teacakes too, have you tried M&S large teacakes? They're the ones they sell in their cafes.

1inamillion Sun 31-Mar-19 12:00:42

Au natural if very fresh, if not toasted both sides with lashings of butter. Traditional hot cross buns only please.

lemongrove Sun 31-Mar-19 11:00:36

Mmmm. Yummy
As we can’t have Marydoll’s home baked ones ( except in The Argy Bargy Bar of course)? the next best ones are from M&S.

Marydoll Sun 31-Mar-19 10:52:52

I make hot cross buns all year round, as they are a family favourite.
I have them with butter on the day I make them and toasted on the cut side the following day.

Teetime Sun 31-Mar-19 10:46:08

Waitrose wholemeal ones split in half with Lurpak lighter.

M0nica Sun 31-Mar-19 08:57:18

Warm, traditional, not toasted, with lashings of butter - and only on Good Friday and Easter Saturday, to make them extra special.

The rest of the time toasted spicy teacakes, just the same but minus the cross and flatter.

NotTooOld Sat 30-Mar-19 22:30:06

Au naturel, please, if fresh. BTW I recommend avoiding Waitrose apple and cinnamon ones as they appear to have forgotten to put any fruit in them.