Gransnet forums

Food

Hot Cross Buns!

(49 Posts)
phoenix Sat 30-Mar-19 15:42:54

Hello all, and usual good wishes!

So, Hot Cross Buns, do you prefer them au naturel or toasted? If toasted, then toasted both sides, or just the cut side?

Then there is the "traditional" style or other, for example I saw apple and cinnamon ones on offer in Lidl

What are your thoughts?

PS Have just eaten a traditional one, untoasted, and yes, I know that strictly speaking it's too early, but they were on the counter at the village shop..............blush

Grannybags Sat 30-Mar-19 15:45:21

Oooh Hot Cross Buns - yummy!

Toasted both sides with a pound of butter on each half please.

Managed not to eat any yet but it is almost April isn't it......?

KatyK Sat 30-Mar-19 15:55:36

Traditional ones for me. Untoasted, with butter.

Maybelle Sat 30-Mar-19 16:26:39

Untoasted please, but warned in the oven and then buttered

Maybelle Sat 30-Mar-19 16:38:56

Please warm the hot cross buns, not warn them . . .
Auto correct wins again !

Nonnie Sat 30-Mar-19 16:59:59

Home made straight out the oven

EllanVannin Sat 30-Mar-19 17:03:10

Oven hot with lashings of Lurpak. Could just eat one ( or two ) now after my dinner.

LoobbyLoo Sat 30-Mar-19 17:04:40

Cranberry ones from Aldi toasted both sides with butter yummy

Bathsheba Sat 30-Mar-19 17:07:11

Oh yes, traditional ones heated in the oven - crispy on the outside and steaming hot on the inside. With lashings of butter!

Actually I did try the apple and cinnamon ones and they were lovely, but I prefer the traditional ones.

ginny Sat 30-Mar-19 17:16:53

Traditional, cut in half , toasted, lots of butter. Eat while warm.

sodapop Sat 30-Mar-19 17:21:25

You are all really mean, I love hot cross buns but cant get them here. I will eat them any which way but always with good butter. Tummy is rumbling now at the thought of hot cross buns.

Willow500 Sat 30-Mar-19 17:23:52

I love hot cross buns from Lidl - I've just been in to buy some this afternoon but they only had the berry ones left which I will try later. If they're fresh I can just eat them straight from the packet with nothing on them but love them toasted with butter too!

Allegretto Sat 30-Mar-19 17:30:47

Toasted. No butter (I don’t like it), but with marmalade or ginger jam.

Nonnie Sat 30-Mar-19 17:33:29

sodapop try making them yourself, not too hard and they taste wonderful

labazsisslowlygoingmad Sat 30-Mar-19 17:44:53

natural as they come with lashings of butter i have tried ones with cranberries very nice but thats the only ones i have tried

Vonners Sat 30-Mar-19 18:59:54

Nonnie do you have a tried and trusted recipe please? I've cracked bread making after much trial and error so should be able to manage the buns. Last time I had a go I was staying in the US with my dear friend and I seem to remember we had to substitute an ingredient - they would've made good cannonballs!

Doodle Sat 30-Mar-19 19:11:40

Toasted with butter and strawberry jam or untoasted cold with butter. Love both. ? I want one now phoenix what have you started!

nonnasusie Sat 30-Mar-19 19:13:55

I have to make my own as they are not available here! I use the bread maker for the dough then bake them in the oven. I use a combination of recipes and they are never the same twice!!?

annsixty Sat 30-Mar-19 19:18:51

Traditional, toasted, with lots of butter.
Ok it is not Easter yet but I have had several already and enjoyed each and every one.

Maggiemaybe Sat 30-Mar-19 19:32:03

Sainsburys apple and cinnamon are my favourites, toasted, with lashings of butter. Saying that, I once had some toffee ones, Tesco I think, that were absolutely delicious. Spoken as one who used to be a bit snooty about just liking the traditional ones....

Maggiemaybe Sat 30-Mar-19 19:33:16

Oh yes, and about not eating them before Easter. Now I think they’re just too good to be rationed!

lemongrove Sat 30-Mar-19 21:51:47

I always toast them, they are a bit doughy otherwise.
Buttered, and sometimes marmaladed in the morning.?

annodomini Sat 30-Mar-19 22:09:41

I know a baker who makes the most wonderful, traditional hot cross buns but they are not on sale until Holy week. They sell out in no time at all on Maundy Thursday. They are worth waiting for. Anyone else in the vicinity of Cheadle Hulme?

Nanagem Sat 30-Mar-19 22:29:25

I could just eat one !

Traditional for me warm with cold butter, proper butter not spready stuff. Hubby likes toasted both sides with spready butter, you can’t help some people grin

NotTooOld Sat 30-Mar-19 22:30:06

Au naturel, please, if fresh. BTW I recommend avoiding Waitrose apple and cinnamon ones as they appear to have forgotten to put any fruit in them.