Gransnet forums

Food

Cheap eats

(64 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Wed 17-Apr-19 22:12:11

My lunch today.
Large all butter croissant 37.5p
2 slices mature cheddar 36p (pre sliced)
4 cherry vine tomatoes 15p
Lambs lettuce (in croissant) 2p (reduced pack)
Mug of cappuccino 18.5p
Total = £1.09

KatyK Thu 18-Apr-19 10:15:59

Sorry to do a one-up Coolgran grin but I was just about to post this. Yesterday in Lidl they had 1kg bags of carrots and parsnips for 19p. Also 1.5kg of potatoes for 29p and 1 kg of shallots for 29p. I think it is perfectly possible to eat cheaply provided you are lucky enough to be near these shops. We are going to have chicken and roasted vegetables tonight and then we'll make soup with what's left which will last for a couple of lunches.

keriku Thu 18-Apr-19 10:22:36

I made soup the other day with a big bag of frozen veg from Morrison’s which costs £1, dried red lentils, a few slices of chopped bacon, a tin of tomatoes and a couple of stock cubes. It’s lovely! We eat well but I often find our best meals are made from bits and pieces!

Sheilasue Thu 18-Apr-19 10:31:48

I had tin of sardines in water mashed with a little white wine-vinegar with lettuce and vine tomatoes in granary bread.
I orange and glass of water.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 18-Apr-19 10:52:23

I had hummus, homemade, with a bit of olive oil and smoked paprika. Ate it with toast and tomatoes followed by a yogurt (homemade and dirt cheap) with a bit of leftover apple.

jaylucy Thu 18-Apr-19 10:56:06

Just interesting to read the sometimes strange (to me) things that people have for lunch - speaking of which, mine today is going to be a piece of quiche (leftover from dinner last night), baby plum tomatoes and lettuce , a split pot yoghurt and possibly a mini Bounty bar. No idea of the cost !

GrannyGravy13 Thu 18-Apr-19 10:59:23

My lunch yesterday was a hot cross bun and a decaffeinated skinny latte (hopefully the skinny counter balances the bun)

Have just popped into Aldi and they have.....Potatoes, carrots, Parsnips, baby plum tomatoes, spring onions and large cauliflowers all for 29p a bag (pots 2.5kg)

Kittye Thu 18-Apr-19 11:13:49

All sound pretty healthy meals except for kittylester ?might have crisp sandwich for my lunch today ?

keriku Thu 18-Apr-19 11:15:54

There appears to be an Easter veg price war on at the moment. Morrison’s are selling various veg at 3 for £1, plus the roast beef joints are 1/2 price, I got a huge one for about £7.50!

nannypiano Thu 18-Apr-19 11:33:18

When I make soup and freeze it, once frozen I put into individual bags and stand them up in the freezer like soldiers. It's surprising how much more can be fitted in like that.

Hazeld Thu 18-Apr-19 13:03:43

Maw Broonsback. Not heard of this before. What is it?

kwest Thu 18-Apr-19 13:21:16

2 small slices wholemeal bread, reduced fat butter, sliced vine ripened tomato. Fat free greek yoghourt with 3 teaspoons homemade rhubarb and ginger compote. Delicious.

Brigidsdaughter Thu 18-Apr-19 13:43:02

Sounds delicious Gabriella.. I have a real weakness for croissants.
My brekkie/brunch comprised porage with some mixed nuts and almond milk cappuccino (made with stovetop coffee thing). Not sure of cost but cheap enough.

Tish Thu 18-Apr-19 15:31:58

Chocolate doesn’t count Jane10.

paddyann Thu 18-Apr-19 15:49:21

I had my breakfast at lunchtime ,porridge made with water a sliced banana and some milk .Porridge is £1.50 , a pack of 1k,I measure 40grams a portion and bananas 6 for 68 pence add 100mls milk So I'd reckon around 30p the lot .If that.On the other hand OH had home made chicken and sweetcorn soup ,tuna and pasta salad and a home made apple sponge ...the unfairness of having to diet shows in one meal .

Callistemon Thu 18-Apr-19 16:44:29

Lunch was a very healthy salad plus half an avocado, drizzled with olive oil.

Then we had a buttered hot cross bun each with a cup of tea at 3.15 shock

Callistemon Thu 18-Apr-19 16:47:01

letting it down with a very little lemon juice.
Goodness, MawBroonsback, that sounds very professional and cheffy!
It's the kind of terminology DS uses and I say 'Pardon?'

Callistemon Thu 18-Apr-19 16:47:22

I meant to add grin!

Callistemon Thu 18-Apr-19 16:48:12

Warm scones with home made jam...tempting.
It would have been rude to refuse, Gabriella!

Grandmama Thu 18-Apr-19 17:02:35

Mine was mashed potato with mushroom and lentil stroganoff - a Waitrose recipe - and home-grown purple sprouting broccoli. Followed by a satsuma. I had my lunchtime banana as part of my breakfast.

MiniMoon Thu 18-Apr-19 18:51:32

Our son comes for lunch on a Thursday as it's his day off. We had roast leg of lamb, roast potatoes, mash, carrots and cavolo nero cabbage, Yorkshire puddings and gravy. Home made sticky ginger cake for dessert.
This was our Easter dinner. We won't bother much on Sunday.

GabriellaG54 Thu 18-Apr-19 19:01:49

paddyann
Yes...don't I know it. sad My sweet tooth is crying. ?
I badly wanted a pack of 6 sugary ring doughnuts from Tesco (just put on the shelf and still warm) but had to walk away and settle for coffee without sugar.
At least I don't have to watch my OH eat something I'd like.
You must be strong willed. grin

GabriellaG54 Thu 18-Apr-19 19:04:44

?? Do you have to rub it in Callistemon ?

paddyann Thu 18-Apr-19 19:26:22

I dont eat chicken..or anything that had feathers and I think Tuna smells like cat food so I never eat that *GG" But I might have been a bit annoyed about the huge chunk of apple sponge ..and ice cream .

glammagran Thu 18-Apr-19 19:32:36

Home made asaparagus soup (using stalks from 3 bunches) and piece of toast. Some days just a piece of toast.

Callistemon Thu 18-Apr-19 19:56:50

I am a hopeless scone maker so I was very glad to sample my friend's perfect scones.