Gransnet forums

Food

Rice pudding!

(48 Posts)
Witzend Fri 17-May-19 19:08:53

Having a lot of milk to use up, I just made an old fashioned rice pudding - with risotto rice, which was all I had.
Haven't made one for decades.
Dh is away so I'm going to eat the whole lot myself. Probably all of it tonight. ?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 17-May-19 19:09:44

Yum yum yum I love rice pudding. Real nursery food?

jusnoneed Fri 17-May-19 19:10:23

My go to when I have too much milk, slow cooked in the oven or just quick make in a saucepan, yum.

nanny2507 Fri 17-May-19 19:17:53

yum..rice pudding made with UHT milk. When i was younger my mum made it almost weekly, we used to guess what she had forgotten to put in it...one week she forgot to put the rice in!

Charleygirl5 Fri 17-May-19 19:22:44

Yuk, I was forced to eat it as a child and sat there until I did. I do not even like looking at it now.

CanadianGran Fri 17-May-19 19:23:18

Not a fan... that or bread pudding. I think it's the texture for me. I remember my poor mum thinking she had made us a treat but we hated it. She grew up in Jersey during the war and knew about food shortages so could never wrap her head around us being fussy.

rubysong Fri 17-May-19 19:25:32

We had rice pudding tonight. Made in the slow cooker with excess milk, risotto rice and Stevia (healthy eh!). Then I added clotted cream and jam.

paddyann Fri 17-May-19 19:28:47

I make it often its afavourite of my OH's although I steal the skin off it first .My mother used make huge potfuls of rice pudding with literally a gallon of milk ,no need for that here so ist an ounce of rice to a pint of milk and that still does OH more than a couple of times

Treebee Fri 17-May-19 19:28:55

I made rice pudding last week using up a can of coconut milk. But I had to go to several supermarkets before I found pudding rice. I notice you’re using risotto rice, which I expect works well, but why the scarcity of pudding rice I wonder?

Calendargirl Fri 17-May-19 19:29:54

Yummy when made with evaporated milk.

MawBroonsback Fri 17-May-19 19:32:39

A sad reflection of our trendy times Treebee
I have to admit Ambrosia do a very acceptable ready version too! (And you can eat it cold out of the tin ????)

Gonegirl Fri 17-May-19 19:33:55

Love rice pudding. I make it in the microwave. Takes about an hour. So creamy, and comforting.

phoenix Fri 17-May-19 19:34:11

Doesn't do it for me either, I'm afraid, although I loved it when my dear grandmother would make it, along with apple pie for pudding on Sunday.

These days, as Mr P doesn't "do" puddings, rice pudding would not be on my list.

However, lemon meringue pie, apple/rhubarb/pie/crumble............

ninathenana Fri 17-May-19 19:40:44

Love rice pud, with jam, with sultanas or on it's own.
It was a Sunday treat made by mum. Dad and I would fight over the skin.

Bathsheba Fri 17-May-19 19:46:25

I love rice pudding. And semolina and tapioca, though I don't think I've come across that for a very long time. Is it still available? hmm

EllanVannin Fri 17-May-19 19:47:13

Oh yes, I make it with evap too----so creamy and very much moreish.
My mum's bread pud was something else, choc full of sultanas and I used to eat large slices the next day when it was like soggy cake but remained crispy on top.
Mum's egg custards were delicious too I can never match those.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 17-May-19 20:13:21

bathsheba my mum is 100 and I still buy tinned rice and tapioca pudding for her. I remember as children we used to have macaroni pudding as well. I guess mum never knew about savoury Italian dishes, but I loved it.

Greenfinch Fri 17-May-19 20:21:15

Treebee how do you make it with coconut milk? Do you dilute it?I have a tin I need to use up.

BBbevan Fri 17-May-19 21:00:12

My Mum made it with a tin of evaporated milk + ordinary. Loads of nutmeg on the top too. Heaven !!

shysal Fri 17-May-19 21:02:09

I had difficulty locating pudding rice in Asda but eventually found it on the bottom shelf of the home baking aisle. I use Mary Berry's recipe and love the oven baked skin.

Barleysugar Fri 17-May-19 21:03:47

I make a delicious creamy cold rice pudding with double cream & vanilla bean pods. Real comfort food.

Barleysugar Fri 17-May-19 21:05:37

Flaked rice is the best ricevto use for it, but Tesco have stopped selling it now, much to my disappointment. sad

Witzend Fri 17-May-19 21:08:36

Goodness, what a lot of rice pud lovers! Never expected so many. I even liked school rice pudding - at least it was better than frog spawn, as we called it, or the sundry varieties of stodge with watery custard.

We do often indulge in the delectable little pots of Ambrosia (one is never enough!) but I did enjoy mine - I scoffed the lot! ?????

jusnoneed Fri 17-May-19 21:13:36

We have been hunting for dry tapioca but it seems to of vanished, so have to buy the tinned stuff. Semolina is another one I sometimes make. Pudding rice is by the tinned rice puds in our Morrisons and Asda.
Bread pudding is handy to use stale bread, add lots of fruit and mixed spice. Bread and butter pud too.

Annie1962 Fri 17-May-19 21:18:21

Mmm love rice pudding- I’m lazy I buy it ready made, cook it leave to cool then eat the lot ?