Gransnet forums

Food

beetroot and other salads

(57 Posts)
Fennel Fri 24-May-19 16:33:12

We like light meals at this tme of the year - eg cold meat or fish with salads.
One of our favourite salad veg. is beetroot. We used to grow it when we had a bigger garden, and young beets are so sweet just plain boiled peeled and sliced.
I bought some today at Tesco, my nails are still pink from peeling them.
Any other favourite salads?

EllanVannin Fri 24-May-19 17:30:38

The beetroot takes me back to childhood when we grew our own and mum boiling them------and me eating them ! As you said, sweet and the best flavour ever. I still prefer to boil them and slice them myself rather than ready done.
We grew radish as well, big fat and juicy with that lovely peppery overtone. Tomatoes and cucumber from next doors greenhouse. Thinking back, everything we ate was home-grown and mum even had her home-made pressed tongue or, and brawn.

Lindylou51 Fri 24-May-19 17:41:56

Ah Fennel, that's why my Tesco didn't have any beetroot today - you bought the last bunch (smile)

Fennel Fri 24-May-19 18:34:49

I don't know why people don't grow them now. From my experience they're the easiest veg. to grow. No pests etc. All you need is a small patch of soil.
I'm waiting until husband has put up the last fence posts above a small plot and I'll put in some seeds, or seedlings.

Fennel Fri 24-May-19 18:37:18

ps - sorry Lindylou !

Grammaretto Fri 24-May-19 18:45:11

I grate beetroot raw, mix with pieces of fresh orange - delicious. Also grated carrot with raisins.
My fave at the moment is lettuce and salad leaves from the greenhouse, tomatoes, cucumber, avocado with vinaigrette.

Gonegirl Fri 24-May-19 18:46:26

I have always been terrified of cooking beetroot. Apparently you musn't make it 'bleed' but how do you test if it is cooked without stabbing it with a knife?

Pre-packed all the way for me. [shame]

Gonegirl Fri 24-May-19 18:47:13

And I hate the stink of it when it is cooking. Smells like boiling up peelings for chicken feed.

3dognight Fri 24-May-19 18:54:07

Is it too late to sow?
Has only one tried the golden beets? Does anyone roast them for a Sunday dinner, or does everyone boil?
Yes the smell of them cooking is not good!

aggie Fri 24-May-19 19:09:03

I can't stand Beetroot , tastes of mud !

J52 Fri 24-May-19 19:25:56

I love beetroot. We’re just finishing the last of 2017s beetroot relish. Hope to make more this year. I got the recipe from the Internet and foolishly didn’t save it.
It’s not too late to plant, if you buy plantlets from the nursery.

Auntieflo Fri 24-May-19 19:30:53

Gonegirl have you tried microwaving it?

Fennel Fri 24-May-19 19:35:38

Good replies. smile I'm surprised! for such a humble vegetable.
I have to go off now until Sunday. But do want to see your ideas for summer salads.

M0nica Fri 24-May-19 19:39:15

I love beetroot but DH will not touch it. In his days of primary school dinners it was served boiled with stew and he would be kept in all lunchtime sitting over a portion of gravied beetroot because he didn't like it and wouldn't eat it.

I do not blame him. I feel the same about mashed potatoes, being forced to eat lumpy mashed potato made from potato powder.

LullyDully Sat 25-May-19 08:10:56

And liver.....yuk.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 25-May-19 08:15:47

Beetroot - delicious. There isn’t a vegetable I dislike really. Not terribly keen on white turnip, but not to the extent that I wouldn’t eat it though.

Miss our allotment terribly, nothing so lovely as freshly boiled beetroot, or asparagus or corn, or peas or broad beans or runners, we’ll all of it really. Think of those divine new potatoes dug and cooked within the hour! You can never replicate the taste with shop bought stuff.

Bathsheba Sat 25-May-19 08:20:25

Gonegirl if you steam beetroot you can cut them up first - there’s nothing for them to bleed into. Cut up small they will cook in about 15 minutes or so.

Abuelana Sat 25-May-19 09:31:17

Ohhh tuna and sweet corn sprinkled over a green salad.
Also grated carrots lovely

sue01 Sat 25-May-19 09:32:08

At school we were always served beetroot chunks with fried fish on Fridays. Always thought that was odd.

nettyandmasey Sat 25-May-19 09:52:55

Tomatoes straight from the greenhouse so still warm

pce612 Sat 25-May-19 09:57:59

Get some disposable latex gloves for peeling beetroot, or buy ready peeled vacuum packed.
I got put off beetroot when I was a child, it was always served swimming in vinegar. Yuck.
Since discoverd raw beetroot shredded into salads is lovely.
I like spinach, avocado, walnuts and crispy bacon with a honey mustard lemon dressing. (Citrus juice helps the digestive system exttract the iron in the spinach)

polnan Sat 25-May-19 10:36:57

we buy ready cooked beetroot from our Morrisons, good sell by date on it also.. love it

oh, thanks for all these ideas everyone... I love salad but get stuck with lettuce toms and cucumber,, and beeetroot when I remember

JessK Sat 25-May-19 10:39:58

When in season I like to scatter a few pomegranate seeds or a few grapes or olives.

BBbevan Sat 25-May-19 10:53:25

I had a lovely salad the other day. Shaved fennel and celery. Just a few mixed salad leaves and a sharp dressing. Absolutely lovely. But I do love beetroot and have it whenever possible

nipsmum Sat 25-May-19 10:54:17

I do grated carrot and apple with a chopped spring onion and some lemon juice. It keeps well for a couple of days in a sealed container in the fridge.