Gransnet forums

Food

High Rise Scones?

(65 Posts)
Carillion Thu 20-Jun-19 21:16:33

I've read the thread on Fruit Scones but think I need to ask this anyway...my scones turn out like what they describe in America as 'breakfast biscuits'. I'd love to make scones that are Tall when baked...can anyone help me?

Greenfinch Sat 12-Oct-19 11:53:40

I am with pinkprincess.I also use use sour milk(sometimes very sour) and have the oven very hot with a cooking time of 10 minutes.Scones are one thing that never fail me. I have always made them with the grandchildren for that reason even though my grandson says "do we have to make them with smelly milk ?

MiniMoon Sat 12-Oct-19 11:24:17

If you can't get SR flour or decent baking powder, make your own baking powder.

I mix a half teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda and one teaspoon of cream of tartar to put into 8oz. plain flour when I'm making drop scones.

They fluff up beautifully.

Lovetopaint037 Sat 12-Oct-19 09:35:24

Paul Hollywood has a scone recipe in his book “Baking”. I have tried it several times and the scones REALLY rise. The secret is using strong bread flour and baking powder. He also stipulates the way you roll it out.

Stansgran Thu 29-Aug-19 13:07:22

I made very good ones recently( doesn't often happen) by following an American recommendation to freeze the butter and add it by grating.

EllanVannin Thu 29-Aug-19 12:27:43

I reckon that ingredients have changed like everything else because my mother's baking was out of this world----scones and sponge cakes her speciality, always rose/risen. Pastry too.

humptydumpty Thu 29-Aug-19 12:20:22

My mother always said you can make either good scones or good sponge, but no0t both - true in my case, my sponges are like lead!

Carillion01 Thu 29-Aug-19 11:18:06

Thank you Mapleleaf, I'm going to order this. X

Mapleleaf Wed 28-Aug-19 15:25:13

Hello, Carillion.
You can buy a copy of the Be-Ro recipe book from this address:
The Be-Ro Kitchen,
PO Box 100
Blackburn
Lancashire
BB1 1GR.

Probably around the £2/£2.50 mark now.
Mine cost £1.50 but that was about 5 years ago.

pinkprincess Tue 27-Aug-19 22:04:58

My mother and my grandmother could make perfect scones they always used sour milk.
Also a very hot oven.I remember as a small child my mother showing me the number 8 on her old gas cooker. It was the second highest temperature and as it looked like two scones one above the other, she used to say, ''That's the number for cooking scones''.

MTDancer Tue 25-Jun-19 15:06:02

I just add a splash of vinegar to the milk

Anja Fri 21-Jun-19 21:47:28

I use buttermilk, but you do have to cut them at least an inch to start with.

watermeadow Fri 21-Jun-19 21:42:39

Many recipes use baking powder as well as SR flour and Mary Berry adds baking powder to all cake mixtures.
Baking powder in anything gives me instant indigestion and I make well-risen scones without it
I think that, as with pastry, some people can make lovely light scones and some can’t.

Fronkydonky Fri 21-Jun-19 20:47:42

ShySal has it in the bag. I was going to recommend this recipe but she’s saved me the trouble. They really are the BEST scones I’ve ever tasted. I use fresh double cream in the recipe. I have even substituted ginger beer for lemonade and added dried cranberries which make totally delicious scones too. So quick and easy to make. You do need to have the dough quite thickly rolled out before using the cutters. Delicious ?

Misha14 Fri 21-Jun-19 19:07:48

Keffir works wonders for my scones. Not bad for my intestines either.

phoenix Fri 21-Jun-19 18:59:22

Just to add, I always just use "ordinary" milk, and as others have mentioned, never roll, just pat into shape.

kwest Fri 21-Jun-19 18:28:30

Diana Henry wrote about the best scone recipe ever which is an American recipe. It was in Waitrose newspaper two weeks ago and I guess you could just look it up.

NotSpaghetti Fri 21-Jun-19 16:12:12

I don't cut mine. I pat the sour milk scone mix into big rounds and score into 6s. They are triangular like shortbread fans.

annodomini Fri 21-Jun-19 14:49:23

Instead of buttermilk (or sour milk), I have sometimes used yoghurt which worked very well.

Carillion Fri 21-Jun-19 14:29:04

Thank you Emily got the gateau flour an hour ago and have some baking powder which I brought back last time I was in the UK so I'm going to re-read the thread now and use the fab tips that are there then...I'm good to go! (Also! Bought some Le Lait Ribot, Lait Fermente which I think is a substitute for full milk/ buttermilk)

EmilyHarburn Fri 21-Jun-19 14:11:15

We do scones for the National Garden Scheme teas. As Grey duster says they need eggs.

Scones 25 to a mix.

1kg SR flour
250 g Butter
4 tsp baking powder
4 eggs
250 g sugar
Milk to bind.

200 fan oven; 220 other oven for 10 – 12 mins. Cut with 2.5 inches or 6.4 cm diameter ring

Carillion Fri 21-Jun-19 14:02:33

dragonfly have been on the BE-RO website and worked out to try and find the edition of the book my Mother had that I remember as a youngster... think I'd need to find the 32nd edition!!?

aquafish Fri 21-Jun-19 13:57:08

All of the above with a tweek-
Warm the milk slightly then add a good squeeze of fresh lemon juice to it.
Seems to result in a good rise every time!
Must go and make a batch now you’ve all put the idea in my head! Enjoy

Patticake123 Fri 21-Jun-19 13:28:32

Some good a here but I don’t think anyone has mentioned the glaze. If any milk drips down the sides, the scones don’t rise. Happy baking.

lindiann Fri 21-Jun-19 13:25:12

Oh thanks just spent a lovely time (Should have been doing housework!) with a nice cuppa looking at Be=Ro website recipes and ordering book smile

Bluesindy1 Fri 21-Jun-19 13:18:57

I use the Lemonade recipe, works everytime, lovely light, rich scones, I've also used cherries and mixed fruit no problem x