Gransnet forums

Food

English Strawberries

(61 Posts)
Greyduster Sat 22-Jun-19 08:08:33

Strawberries grown under glass or plastic are often hard and almost always tasteless, wherever they come from. Elsanta is a very popular variety now. I used to grow one called ‘Cambridge’ and they were delicious, but the birds always got more than I did and they were outgrowing their patch, so I gave them up. And yes, Scottish raspberries are the best!

Blinko Sat 22-Jun-19 08:03:57

Right, we're all round to yours, Merlot.

Liz46 Sat 22-Jun-19 07:23:02

There is nothing like the taste of a home grown strawberry, warmed by the sun and given a quick rinse under the tap in the garden.

annodomini Fri 21-Jun-19 23:50:43

The Scottish strawberries I bought today are a variety I haven't seen before - AVA-blush, grown in Angus. When I was up there a week or so ago, a vast acreage of land between Dundee and Perth was under plastic. The Scottish rasps I also bought taste just like the ones we picked (and ate) in my granny's garden 70 years ago, bringing back memories of the many summer holidays we spent in Fife.

Urmstongran Fri 21-Jun-19 23:35:37

The big, red strawberries are often from Spain and in my opinion are not as tasty as the more ‘orange’ strawberry varieties from all over the U.K.

And I agree, Scottish raspberries are lush!

MiniMoon Fri 21-Jun-19 23:22:39

We had some lovely strawberries at lunch time. They were grown in Fife and the variety is Sonata. Sweet, juicy and delicious with jelly and cream. I'm not a strawberry lover, so they will probably be the only ones I'll eat this year.

phoenix Fri 21-Jun-19 22:18:37

I think it's the variety that makes the difference, for example a Conference pear will have a completely different taste/flavour to another variety, as will a Granny Smith apple to a Coxs Orange Pippin.

merlotgran Fri 21-Jun-19 22:11:17

Can't recommend any sold in shops but we have a glut of them in the garden this year.

Getting a bit sick of them now. grin

EllanVannin Fri 21-Jun-19 22:10:16

Yes, wait for the " proper " strawberries grown in the fields locally. You can't beat them for taste. Those and the Scottish raspberries.

Missfoodlove Fri 21-Jun-19 22:05:56

UK Strawberries available now are hot house grown.
In a couple of weeks outdoor strawbs will be available. Much tastier. ???

phoenix Fri 21-Jun-19 22:00:24

Hello all, and good wishes to you.

I'm quite partial to the odd bowl of strawberries and cream, but my recent ones have been disappointing.

If you check the label on the punnet, it should tell you which variety they are.

The ones that seem to be on the shelves first are "Elsanta", they look good, but the ones I've had were tasteless!

I seem to recall from last year that "Sweet Eve" were better, but there were other varieties that were better still.

Any recommendations for varieties that really have that proper strawberry flavour?