Gransnet forums

Food

Are you worried?

(60 Posts)
sarahcyn Fri 12-Jul-19 08:39:53

There is probably no 100% "safe" diet that anyone can follow realistically, or without going completely bonkers, or starving to death.
But to completely avoid financing cruelty, you do probably have to go vegan. Going vegan isn't as weird these days as it used to be.
I've been wondering about veganism for some time now, and I'm sort of working towards it slowly.
Giving up meat and poultry was easy as my husband has been a pescetarian for 40 years.
I don't want to give up eggs so I buy them from a special free range supplier where hens are allowed to live their natural life span (Hen Nation).
Butter is easy to replace, as are yoghurts.
Cheese was initially really difficult as we are both cheese monsters, then I started indulging in Nutcrafter Creamery vegan cheeses and I don't miss cheese so much now. Or get it from www.theethicaldairy.co.uk
I use plant milk in recipes but can't bear it in my coffee so that's a stumbling block. Organic milk it is then.
As is fish - it doesn't look like we'll be giving up fish any time soon. This bothers me - neither farmed nor wild fish are sustainable; there's the mercury thing; and contrary to what many people imagine, fish are sensitive to pain as much as any other animal, and the way they die is awful.

Glammy57 Fri 12-Jul-19 08:34:56

I’ve been a vegetarian for forty-six years. If my husband wants to eat meat, he buys from a local butcher and it is organic.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 12-Jul-19 08:21:52

It is a bit worrying. I rarely eat meat these days anyhow but do so occasionally. I prefer fish but they say it's got mercury in it. We can only try to be vigilant, can't we?

sodapop Fri 12-Jul-19 08:14:45

Yes I do worry about food contamination, there are so many possibilities that I can't eliminate them all. For me its a case of being sensible without stressing too much over it all.

EllanVannin Fri 12-Jul-19 08:03:02

I saw this and think that it is a bad one this time.
I rarely eat mince and sausages have been off my diet for a long time. I don't eat bacon and never smoked food. Never have takeaways. All are " disguised " in some way.

When D and myself can remember we go to a local farmers market which is held every 4th Saturday, the next being the 27th-----all local produce and known farms.

It wouldn't bother me not to eat meat as it's not important at my own time of life anyway.

Johno Fri 12-Jul-19 07:29:31

We try the vegetarian route, from time to time, but only in the same way we visit Norfolk instead of Brighton... we don't go because we want to boost the economy of either place we just want a change. We do veggie to save animals. We like the diet. So that said... there is a risk with meat just as with anything else. Know your source. Its abit like saying you must know, beforehand, all cars have had their brakes checked before you will cross the road and take that risk.

Bellasnana Fri 12-Jul-19 07:24:00

Haven’t eaten meat for fifteen years and have never been tempted to eat it since.

M0nica Fri 12-Jul-19 07:17:37

No, I buy organic, or very close to organic meat from my local butcher/producer. His farm is a few miles from us and he vets any other prducers he buys from very carefully

The causes of BSE have been known for several decades now and while we can never say never on anything, I do not think the risk is any higher than any other food. Some years ago a fatal outbreak of E. Colli was traced back to a batch of lettuce. Does that mean we should never eat lettuce again?

kittylester Fri 12-Jul-19 06:48:47

No! Just buy from a butcher who can trace his meat back to source and knows the farmer and his practices.

GabriellaG54 Fri 12-Jul-19 01:29:16

Maybe you should be.
Having watched the BBC2 programme on BSE in which herbivores (cows) were fed dead animals (some of which had BSE) in order to bulk them up, I have grave doubts about the origins of our meat and the checks and balances presumed to be in place to prevent it ever happening again.
Would you be prepared to give up meat in it's entirety?