Gransnet forums

Food

Any small, quick, supper ideas?

(30 Posts)
kittylester Sat 13-Jul-19 19:20:26

Following on from the sandwiches thread, any one have any nice ideas for a quick supper.

We are at a family lunch barbecue tomorrow and we often struggle for easy suppers after eating at lunch time. We usually resort to cheese and biscuits, a bacon sandwich or a packet of crisps.

Demzel Wed 21-Aug-19 12:40:49

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

KatyK Sat 27-Jul-19 15:00:22

A baked potato halved, with the potato scooped out, mixed with fried bacon, topped with cheese, all put back in the jacket halves and popped under the grill. Delightful.

Blinko Sat 27-Jul-19 08:42:36

A toastie, ham and cheese;
an omelette - cheese, tomato, ham, mushrooms, salmon or my favourite, courgette;
home made fruit salad with yogurt;
crudites with hummous;
Waldorf salad - mix apple, celery, walnuts with mayo.
Any of these would be delish.

BradfordLass72 Sat 27-Jul-19 04:20:45

Scrambled eggs and if you really want carbs at supper time (I don't) a slice of Paleo bread.

Mixed salad (cos hearts, shredded carrot, cabbage red and white) with a little dressing and a crumbled packet of crisps over it. The combination of crispy salad and salty crisps is delicious.

Now I know this is weird but I just love a tin of sardines in tomato sauce and half a fresh tomato well sprinkled with white pepper. smile Just that.

A smoothie made with avocado, banana and any fruit juice.
Avocado mashed with a banana is divine on Paleo bread. (I can't eat wheat or gluten free breads now)

I also love soup and have cups or snap-lock bags of it in the freezer door ready to defrost on the instant. When I make a batch of soup I always bank some.

My other weird favourite is to lightly fry a little onion in butter (tiniest bit) add sliced tomato (sometimes capsicum) and then cheese. Cook until all is melted.

Cheap cheese here is very fatty, so as it melts, the oil runs out and can be poured onto the seeds I shall later put out for the birds.
grin

gransal Fri 26-Jul-19 22:53:53

GF thins with smoked salmon and crème fraiche or prawn marie rose. Deelish easy and not too dear.

Tangerine Fri 26-Jul-19 22:46:19

Bowl of soup. Add some cooked pasta which will make it more substantial. I often have this.

mosaicwarts Fri 26-Jul-19 21:09:26

Grill a block of halloumi, slice and serve with apricot jam or nectarines. Yum!

merlotgran Fri 26-Jul-19 21:06:38

A ham and cheese toastie made with gluten free 'thins' inside a toasting bag.

Quick, easy and no mess to clear up and the thins are much nicer than GF bread.

annep1 Fri 26-Jul-19 20:50:44

A very lazy one is Tesco spanish tortilla with ketchup.

annep1 Fri 26-Jul-19 20:47:49

Mashed avocado or hummus on toast for me.

Witzend Fri 26-Jul-19 20:25:44

Baked potatoes with beans and cheese. Just had that tonight.
V quick here, since I have a combi microwave, so oven on max, plus 14 minutes microwave does two big jackets nicely.

Dh loves egg fried rice, but it does mean remembering to cook the rice in advance. I always add garlic, chilli and ginger (the last two often from Asda's 'easy' pots) plus soy sauce, some chopped spring onions and probably some prawns added towards the end. (Often Asda's Smartprice - small but nowt wrong with them.).
I use sesame oil for any sort of stir-fry, too.

Opalsusanna1 Sun 14-Jul-19 23:40:47

Or, you need about a cup of cold rice for this one. Saute half an onion in a little bit of oil. Once softened, add one or two whipped up eggs and let them set a bit, then stir up with a fork until nice and quite firm. Add half a handful of frozen peas, a bit of chopped ham or some prawns. Keep stirring till all is well mixed. Add a bit of soy sauce if you like it. Done. Serve with wine as before!

Opalsusanna1 Sun 14-Jul-19 23:32:19

One of my favourites and always has been is a few chopped mushrooms in a dessertspoon of butter, seasoned, then add some garlic if you like. If you're feeling indulgent, stir in a spoonful of fresh cream. Whip up a two egg omelette. When set as you like it, add the mushrooms, grate over a bit of any cheese you have, flip it over and serve with a nice green salad and a glass of wine.

Charleygirl5 Sun 14-Jul-19 21:47:51

smoked salmon or garlic prawns. I would have them with crusty bread but as you cannot, maybe with a salad.

I am a lover of a cheese omelette on its own.

JackyB Sun 14-Jul-19 20:50:21

Potatoes cooked in the microwave or boiled, cut in half and the cut side sprinkled with grated cheese. Under the grill. Job done.

In the summer - cook the potatoes in the morning and eat them with a bit of mayonnaise and/or a couple of gherkins, or just make a potato salad.

Songbirds Sun 14-Jul-19 20:21:03

Quiche and salad with a nice orange and honey dressing. Yum.

Sara65 Sun 14-Jul-19 20:18:29

Desdamona

One of my favourites, I always do it with the baby mozzarella balls and cherry tomatoes, and lots of basil, lovely

BlueSapphire Sun 14-Jul-19 20:15:11

I often fancy a chip butty...

Gonegirl Sat 13-Jul-19 20:21:01

Bacon sarnie has just done me a treat. (But I did eat two homemade cakes at a fete this afternoon)

clementine Sat 13-Jul-19 19:57:55

Baked potato , M & S do a lovely one with cheese on top, or mashed avocado on a slice of toasted sourdough, and a poached egg on top .

Desdemona Sat 13-Jul-19 19:55:51

Mozzarella salad is nice. Slice a ball of mozzarella, slice 1 ripe tomato and layer them on a plate. Sprinkle over a few basil leaves and a drizzle of olive oil, and a little bit of black pepper.

annodomini Sat 13-Jul-19 19:51:34

Cheese on toast with bacon and/or poached egg on top.

J52 Sat 13-Jul-19 19:44:24

Diced beetroot, diced goat’s cheese ( other cheese also ok ) green leaves, walnuts, sprinkle of sultanas and honey dressing.
Bread of own choosing.

kittylester Sat 13-Jul-19 19:31:32

Erm, I gluten intolerant. Gf toast doesnt hit the spot really. I'd love proper toast but would suffer for days after!

Auntieflo Sat 13-Jul-19 19:28:44

A bowl of cornflakes with ice cold milk