Gransnet forums

Food

Corned Beef

(94 Posts)
Daddima Sun 21-Jul-19 19:50:38

Is there any particular reason this is still sold in those rectangular tins with the wee key?

Callistemon Sun 21-Jul-19 23:04:07

Can anyone give a really good recipe for corned beef hash?
I have made a 'lazy corned beef hash' which is nearly all made in the microwave!
Chop and onion, put in a casserole dish with some cooking oil, lid on, cook for about 1.5 minutes, boil some diced potatoes until soft, put in the casserole dish with chopped corned beef and peas, stir around, lid on and microwave for about 4-5 minutes until it's piping hot. Add Worcestershire sauce if you like.

BoadiceaJones Sun 21-Jul-19 23:04:34

Callistemon smile

Callistemon Sun 21-Jul-19 23:05:59

I'm writing that down so that DD can cook it for me, BoadiceaJones! Or I expect that she'll get me to cook it for her!

Cabbie21 Sun 21-Jul-19 23:38:22

I used to love a recipe my mum made ( and she was not a great cook). Crumble corned beef into a batter mixture, dollop portions into a frying pan. Fry each side until cooked. Serve with whatever you like, but often it was mashed potatoes, cabbage and baked beans.
I don’t make it myself, but love corned beef for an easy meal with new potatoes and cabbage.

BradfordLass72 Mon 22-Jul-19 03:34:11

You can't open a square tin with a tin opener, hence the weird key thing

Yes you can.

On the very rare occasions I buy corned beef, that's exactly what I do and it gives me no problem.
Can't be bothered with the fiddly little key and sharp edges.

BBbevan Mon 22-Jul-19 06:28:04

As a child I loved corned beef and chips and hash. My mother made that with onions, leftover potato and corned beef. Then being married and with children we only had it occasionally. We have recently moved to Wales. Most supermarkets here sell corned beef pies and pasties. I never saw them in Hertfordshire. We bought one which was a tad tasteless.

ninathenana Mon 22-Jul-19 06:55:46

We used to have caravan holidays when the children were small arrival day dinner was always corned beef, instant mash made with plenty of butter and baked beans. The children loved it. Followed by a slice of my mum's fruit cake
These days we sometimes have it with new pots. salad or beans.

EllanVannin Mon 22-Jul-19 08:23:29

I love corned beef hash as a winter dinner, it's cheap and nourishing and does me two days meals in my trusty pyrex dish. I run the fork along the top to make grooves then grate some cheese for a crispy topping when finished off under the grill.
What more do you want ? Oh yes, and beetroot.

I have to wrap the tin in a tea-towel to open it and again use the towel to hold the key guiding it around the tin because I'm a bit paranoid about cutting myself with taking warfarin. I could end up in a heap having bled to death hahahahaha.

kittylester Mon 22-Jul-19 08:33:50

I open it with a normal tin opener - at the big end. As bradfordlass said.

sodapop Mon 22-Jul-19 08:43:13

That's really strange we were discussing this very topic yesterday. I love corned beef hash but haven't had it for a long time. Those tins are so evocative of my childhood.

Teetime Mon 22-Jul-19 08:49:02

Vile stuff!!! Yellow fat! DH sliced his hand open on a tin one weekend and we spent the whole time in A & E- never again for many reasons. You can buy it ready sliced of course.

Jeanlizzie Mon 22-Jul-19 09:23:13

Corned beef always makes me think of my dad who always called it corned dog for some reason

CedarC Mon 22-Jul-19 09:34:16

I love corned beef in any form. I use it for shepherds pie,hash,in sandwiches,rissoles,fritters and it makes a lovely Risotto.

Nannylovesshopping Mon 22-Jul-19 09:41:40

Corned beef hash to me is, diced potato, chopped spring onions, fried gently in little butter and olive oil, then in with the diced corned beef for a couple of minutes, a little grated Parmesan to finish, topped with a fried egg and plenty of black pepper, a heart attack waiting to happen, but so delicious, and only very occasionally on the menu?

gillybob Mon 22-Jul-19 09:41:47

I made Panhaggerty just last weekend as a treat for DH ( one of his favourites ) . You could add whatever you like I suppose but I use :

2 tins of corned beef sliced up , sliced par-boiled potatoes, fry off as much bacon as you like ( cut up into pieces) , 2 decent sized onions fried .

Then layer the CB, potato slices, fried onions and bacon pieces, ending with sliced potatoes on top . Pour over a decent amount of gravy and pop in the oven until the potatoes on top go crispy . Serve with crusty bread to sop up the sloppy corned beef/gravy juices . Delicious once in a while . smile

jaylucy Mon 22-Jul-19 09:49:56

I always try to have a tin of corned beef in the larder. I usually open the tin with a tin opener!
I really miss the Corned Silverside from when I lived in Australia - my MiL use to do it with either a parsley, white or mustard sauce with boiled potatoes and either salad or veg - my mouth is watering at the thought of it!

gillyknits Mon 22-Jul-19 09:49:59

When we were first married, in the early seventies, we were absolutely broke. I could make a large tin of corned beef last three meals. Our first row was because my husband moaned that it was corned beef hash again. I nearly hit him with a bright yellow Le Cruset frying pan, that had been given to us as a wedding present.
We still remember it now and I have only just started to reintroduce corned beef to our menu!

Callistemon Mon 22-Jul-19 10:03:53

I haven't bought a tin of corned beef for years, but I think the best way to open it is to use a normal tin opener on both ends, then push the beef through.

Apparently many people used to end up in A&E after wrestling with a corned beef tin!

Barmeyoldbat Mon 22-Jul-19 10:05:28

Oh dear I seem to have been missing out on the little pleasures of life. I have to admit I have never had corn beef harsh. Never had corn beef since I was a child.

Callistemon Mon 22-Jul-19 10:05:53

Our first row was over something I had lovingly prepared, gillybob - in our case a pudding. grin

Plunger Mon 22-Jul-19 10:10:20

I use a tin opener to open corn beef tins. Not easy but better than slicing my fingers!

gillybob Mon 22-Jul-19 10:14:00

When DH and I argue it’s always about “that place” ! He is very mild mannered normally but we once had a “right humdinger” that resulted in him throwing the phone across the office and smashing the glass door ! I went home in the middle of the day and made Panhaggerty and he came in and could smell it cooking . He was very sheepish ... we both ended up laughing ! So now whenever I make it he says “sorry, what have I done?” grin

blondenana Mon 22-Jul-19 10:16:26

I love corned beef ,always buy a tin when i go food shopping
The last one i bought the key snapped halfway through, had to finish with a sharp knife
Love corned beef hash too,, done in the oven with alternate layers of sliced potatos,onions and corned beef, mm very tasty

EllanVannin Mon 22-Jul-19 10:20:11

Spam is another versatile product from the past, with an awkward tin unless you buy the plastic lidded container like I do.

JanaNana Mon 22-Jul-19 10:44:42

I open the corned beef tin with with a butterfly type tin opener ..... open one end, turn it over, do the same on the other end and it pushes out easily. Have"nt"t used the fiddly little key for a long time. You can also buy corned beef sliced from the deli counter at the supermarket or get it pre packed.