Gransnet forums

Food

Corned Beef

(94 Posts)
Daddima Sun 21-Jul-19 19:50:38

Is there any particular reason this is still sold in those rectangular tins with the wee key?

Marmight Mon 22-Jul-19 16:35:57

I had a sudden desire for corned beef last week so, having given up on the b****y tin/key and chucked the whole thing away, I bought a corned beef patty thingy, which looked like a fishcake, in M&S. It was 'orrible. I've gone off corned beef now ...... I'd quite like to try a beef olive next ?

lindadoughty650 Mon 22-Jul-19 17:06:30

If you pierce a hole in the tin at the end opposite to the key end before you start winding the key it will come out easily. No cut fingers. And sliced CB does not make for a great hash. Lots of recipes. Happy cooking xx

Saetana Mon 22-Jul-19 17:10:42

I still have a scar on my finger from an episode with a corned beef tin. Admittedly its not the healthiest food to eat, but we do enjoy an occasional corn beef hash smile

Gonegirl Mon 22-Jul-19 17:14:41

Oh I love Spam. Can't possibly eat it though. Can we?

Saetana Mon 22-Jul-19 17:17:27

@Jeanlizzie - my Dad also used to call it "corned dog" - I have absolutely no idea why either grin

Vivian123 Mon 22-Jul-19 17:30:53

Had corned beef and raw onion sandwich for my lunch. Delicious. I have never bothered with the key on a corned beef tin. I use a manual can opener and open the tin, both ends. I then push the smaller end and it all comes out the big end. I do put the can in the fridge, first. Makes it easier to push out.

quizqueen Mon 22-Jul-19 17:56:17

They do sell corned beef in packets in the supermarket aisle where the ham is displayed and also on the delicatessen where you can chose how much you want sliced.

MissAdventure Mon 22-Jul-19 18:03:36

£1.95 for the co-op prepacked! shock

HurdyGurdy Mon 22-Jul-19 18:22:28

I don't make corned beef hash any more, since discovering Corned Beef Stew. If interested, it is 2.5 syns on Slimming World.

I don't cook it for as long as the recipe says though - I usually add the corned beef at the same time as the potatoes

Recipe and photo from vicki-kitchen.blogspot.com

Ingredients list

340g can corned beef, cut into cubes
6 large carrots (peeled and diced)
680g peeled potatoes (diced)
1 large swede ( peeled and diced)
2 large onions (chopped
1.5 litres beef stock (from a cube is fine)
1 teaspoon dried sage
1 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and pepper

Instructions

In a large saucepan place the onions, carrots and swede, beef stock and herbs and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the vegetables are softened.

Add the potatoes and cook for another 20 minutes then add the corned beef and simmer for another 30 minutes.

Add more beef stock if it is too thick and keep stirring now and again, season with salt and pepper to taste.

Keep cooking until stew is thick and vegetables and potatoes are soft.

HurdyGurdy Mon 22-Jul-19 18:25:04

This was the Corned Beef Hash recipe I used before discovering the Corned Beef Stew. My computer shows that the document was last accessed in November 2011 lol

Corned beef hash

1 tin corned beef
1 tin baked beans
3 baking size potatoes
1 onion
1 carrot
Grated cheese
Worcester sauce
Salt & pepper

Boil potatoes & mash them.

Fry chopped onion and diced carrot in oil.

Add chopped corned beef and beans.

Add mashed potatoes, salt pepper & Worcester sauce. Stir well and fry for a bit.

Top with cheese and whack under grill. Yum!!

Nice with peas on top!

Onestepbeyond Mon 22-Jul-19 19:25:07

>> Corned beef hash topped with a fried egg runny yolk = heaven sent grin

Onestepbeyond Mon 22-Jul-19 19:27:44

to open tin turn upside down and open with a can opener then turn right way up open with can opener, push the meat through and onto a plate

glammagran Mon 22-Jul-19 19:31:53

I occasionally make corned beef hash. I like it with cooked new potatoes and add chopped up fresh tomatoes to mine. I buy corned beef ready sliced from M&S.

Mapleleaf Mon 22-Jul-19 19:44:48

My MiL used to make the most delicious corned beef and potato pie.

Kim19 Mon 22-Jul-19 20:23:52

I open the wide end of the tin with a regular tin opener and the narrow as designed then simply push it out manually without any problems so far (she said!!). Thanks for that microwave quickie, Callistemon. Sounds just perfect for me.

Grannyrebel Mon 22-Jul-19 21:52:25

Corned beef pie - one of my very limited signature dishes! Love it but it's got too much fat in it, so don't have it very often.

Saggi Tue 23-Jul-19 09:48:45

Hi Happichops....yes I’ve had this problem ...if ...and it’s a big ‘if’ ...I buy these tins , I have to throw a tea towel over the can to pull the stupid thing apart...or like you I invariably cut myself!

Margs Tue 23-Jul-19 11:14:32

Corned beef, or rather the tins it comes in......too many bad memories of ripped and sliced up thumbs and blood flowing across kitchen counters......

But I really do like the stuff, could I actually extract it from the can painlessly!