Gransnet forums

Food

leftovers

(77 Posts)
Fennel Thu 01-Aug-19 10:13:23

- what do you do with them?
My husband never throws any food away - "Put it in a plastic bag in the freezer - that will make a good meal some day".
The result is we have several anonymous plastic bags in the freezer. I decided to sort them this morning - not yet done.
But how can I label them?
Felt tip would rub off and sticky labels won't stick.

Alexa Mon 12-Aug-19 17:41:15

Well , Nannarose. patapas bravas (own version) very successful with sons. This is going to be a staple. Actuallymy verson was baked potato with the brava sauce but just shows how versatile the idea is,

sluttygran Wed 07-Aug-19 20:27:27

I put leftovers on a nice clean plate and cover carefully with cling film or foil.
After three or four days, when it looks a bit dry and maybe a little mouldy, I bin the lot with a clear conscience! grin

Alexa Mon 05-Aug-19 11:30:24

Nannarose: "patatas bravas" I like that idea. Will investigate

Kerenhappuch Mon 05-Aug-19 11:13:54

I chuck them out, unless I have a very clear idea what to do with them.

Otherwise they just have a long half-life in fridge or freezer before being chucked out anyway!

gransue60 Mon 05-Aug-19 11:07:13

www.amazon.co.uk/FREEZER-GRADE-Adhesive-Stickers-Contents/dp/B00S9RJ2XW?tag=gransnetforum-21
I use these in the freezer to label stuff as I forget what’s there sometimes-but I do find that you need to peel them off before you wash the plastic tub! On occasions I have reused them too !

Fennel Sun 04-Aug-19 12:14:18

"When they stop producing plastic freezer bags".
That's a point, Kitty, never thought of that.
But there's an ecofriendly alternative to plastic bags which they introduced in France about 3 years ago. For loose veg in the supermarkets.
Some shops there also offered paper bags, but that wouldn't work in a freezer.

kittylester Sun 04-Aug-19 11:02:08

My Hoover is a Shark too grin

Callistemon Sat 03-Aug-19 20:01:06

I do too - perhaps not Tupperware but the equivalent.

kittylester Sat 03-Aug-19 19:31:18

When they stop producing plastic freezer bags we will use Tupperware or the like. I do already!

Elegran Sat 03-Aug-19 18:48:49

Of course, it suits the manufacturers for us to throw it out and buy a new batch!

annep1 Sat 03-Aug-19 17:46:31

Thanks ladies. The amount of frozen food that I've binned!!

M0nica Sat 03-Aug-19 11:24:22

Freezer food use by dates are advisory only. The food will be perfectly safe to eat, no matter how long you leave it in the freezer, although eat quality may deteriorate, although I find that rarely happens. The purpose of the use by dates is to say how long the manufacturer guarantees quality, not safety.

Some years ago I accidentally planted chilli peppers rather than sweet peppers. I chopped and froze the chili peppers, but as I do not much like chili, it took me nearly 5 years to finally consume all these chopped peppers. I am about to eat stewed apple and blackberry that has been in the freezer a year and as the vegetable harvest takesoff, I expect some of that to be in the freezer for at least nine months.

I have been doing this for over 45 years, with no ill effects.

Rosiebee Sat 03-Aug-19 09:42:49

I write food, number of portions and date on a slip of paper with a thick nib felt pen, slip it in the plastic bag and seal it with a clippet. When I am feeling really virtuous, having sorted out the freezer, I make lists of what is in each drawer and stick these lists to door with a magnet, aiming to cross out / add foods as I go along. Needless to say this doesn't always work.....

Elegran Sat 03-Aug-19 08:42:17

The food may lose some of its taste with long storage, but bacteria don't multiply below a certain temperature. It will have the same number as it had when it was frozen, so if youtrust the manufacturer to produce it in hygienic condidtions, it will stay hygienic. If there were no bad bacteria in it to start with and it has been sealed up properly, how can any new ones have crept in while it was in the freezer?

The bought freezer food has a use-by or a best-by date on it so as to cover the manufacturers' backs. Store it as soon as it is bought, well wrapped, and it will be edible for longer than the magic three months (though the taste and texture may have deteriorated).

annep1 Sat 03-Aug-19 07:59:31

Monica a lot of bought frozen food gives a limited freezer time often only three months.
I would have then assumed stuff I freeze myself would be the same?

Liaise Sat 03-Aug-19 07:04:30

I use a freezer pen from Lakeland. It writes on freezer bags easily. I still find the odd thing I have forgotten to label so sometimes we have " mystery casserole day". I wonder how we are going to store cooked food in the freezer when the bags are not sold anymore.

Pantglas1 Sat 03-Aug-19 06:38:19

Very impressed with your organisational skills M0nica! I do start off separating meat, fish, veg etc but those wretched freezer fairies seem to disagree with that system and stuff ends up all all the show!

MountainAsh Sat 03-Aug-19 01:52:59

I frequently have left over veg. In to the fridge it goes and next day I pour over a pasta or curry sauce and serve with pasta/rice/jacket potato or whatever I fancy. There are never any leftovers from that. grin

quizqueen Fri 02-Aug-19 22:25:43

Saggi, don't the foxes eat the ducks instead?

quizqueen Fri 02-Aug-19 22:23:32

Use for soup, smoothies or pie fillings.

Smiler73 Fri 02-Aug-19 22:05:27

I use a biro and write on masking tape and use that instead of labels. If I am not using leftovers the next day I will freeze same day. Leftover frozen veg can be thawed and added to home made soup or into casseroles or stews or added to corned beef hash. Small amounts of bolognese sauce or chilli can be used as a topper on jacket potatoes. If I am stuck for ideas I consult google and usually find loads of recipes for leftovers.

M0nica Fri 02-Aug-19 21:53:41

I have a chest freezer filled with freezer baskets, each basket has one kind of product: beef, lamb, fish, vegetables etc, The baskets at the top have ready meals, bacon & sausage, and dairy products, so it is very easy to keep track of everything. Food in the freezer last forever.

Supplies taken by Scott to the Antartic were found a century later and found to be fresh and palatable, so never worry how long anything has been in the freezer, it will still be safe and useable. Unless it has been inadequately wrapped and has freezer burn.

Saggi Fri 02-Aug-19 20:23:50

Throw it to the foxes...they or the ducks that invade the large green in front of our row of houses will eat anything!

Callistemon Fri 02-Aug-19 20:17:10

I find refrigerating it and then using it up within a couple of days is best, rather than freezing it then discarding in the future.

Callistemon Fri 02-Aug-19 20:15:50

Portion control is all very well, but some days you or the family feel like eating more than on other days.

I had a good clear-out of a freezer recently and did throw out some 'leftovers' which could have come in useful but never did.