Gransnet forums

Food

M&S price hike

(58 Posts)
Jane43 Fri 09-Aug-19 12:11:33

We love M&S sweet and crunchy salad. I know it’s lazy to buy ready prepared salad but it’s only once a week usually. The price last week was £1.50 but this week it has gone up to £2.00 which is a price hike of 33%. So this is something that will be taken off our shopping list for the foreseeable future. This level of rise seems exorbitant. Anybody else notice huge price increases recently?

Witzend Sat 10-Aug-19 11:38:55

I don't shop there for food that much, but will be going later for a free range chicken - not invariably available at my more local and convenient Asda.

As for things being well within date, I confess to being one of those people who rummage at the back of the shelf for the longest use-by date.

What I do love about M&S is the 'Just Food' shops at petrol stations. When we're on a long journey - like we were a week ago - you know their sandwiches are going to be delish, and on the way home - like last night after a very long drive - you can pick up a couple of very nice ready meals and whatever other bits you will need that night and in the morning.

evansgg Sat 10-Aug-19 11:49:50

Agree that M&S food is good quality but can no longer afford it. Great Aldi fan. If ever they and Lidl start a delivery service they would put the other supermarkets out of business.
Have heard good reports of Iceland. They have a weird delivery system in my area. I can't order on line or phone for a delivery but can go in the shop and do my shopping and they will deliver it .
We also have a family owned supermarket Booths. Quality as good as Marks but much cheaper with real old fashioned service.

GoldenAge Sat 10-Aug-19 11:52:30

Quality has to be paid for unfortunately and that’s what you get with Marks - no nasty squeezing of suppliers so they pay their workers peanuts - and food that lasts longer if properly stored.

Ingrid45 Sat 10-Aug-19 11:56:08

I buy the Diet Fiery Sparkling ginger beer which is 'free' on the Slimming world plan. Am I the only person in the world who has noticed that the big bottle (1litre) is cheaper (at 90p) than the smaller bottle (£1.20) of the same stuff which is in the takeaway section with the sandwiches etc. That's a result! Makes me smile every time I buy!

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Sat 10-Aug-19 11:56:21

Oh Leyla Im glad I am not the only one. I refuse to use self service tills in M&S and the main tills ard always packed (well not packed but slow people chatting instead of packing their shopping then taking forever to find their purse despite standing waiting in a queue) so ard annoying when only want one or two lunch items. Our M&S had 3 quickservice tills for lunch/busy times bug they are rarely manned. I did mention this to member of staff who saud they were getting rid of them! If they are willing to reduce the cost for self service then om but will no longer be getting my lunches from there.

J52 Sat 10-Aug-19 11:58:54

A large Waitrose in our area is closing down, to be replaced by Lidl.
At first it seemed odd, the car park is always full, usually with newish high end cars. Then I thought, if most of the customers are retired, couples or singles, they are not spending a great deal compared to a family shop.

glammanana Sat 10-Aug-19 11:59:00

Minniemoo I have been collecting the M&S shop items and have bought the shopping cart along with the shopping basket,all the items will go with the mini kitchen my DGS is buying for my GGD at C-------s to add to the other bits and bobs for creative play.

cc Sat 10-Aug-19 12:10:42

I agree with others, I think that M&S food has always been expensive and is getting more so. The product range is more limited than Waitrose or other supermarkets.

I've used Ocado for some years and wasn't much of a Waitrose shopper originally, but gradually bought more and more of their products from Ocado, especially the Essentials range. I think they may be delivering M&S foods even sooner than others suggest as they are stopping selling Waitrose foods very soon.
I'm giving Ocado up because of this.

Patticake123 Sat 10-Aug-19 12:52:16

I think prices have gone up and sizes have been reduced. I noticed a pack of apples at the usual price but there were 5 fruits rather than 6. I also think this is only the beginning, if Brexit happens, as I fear it will, then 40% tariffs will be put on and if I’m not mistaken, it will be a ripe opportunity for profiteering. As the saying goes ‘we ain’t seen nothing yet’.

absthame Sat 10-Aug-19 13:08:07

Bearing in mind that most food is imported and the value of the pound has fallen by 30% over the past 3 years thanks to Brexit, complaints over such price rises are part of the consequential costs.

Minniemoo Sat 10-Aug-19 13:16:31

glammanana! My husband has just returned with the shopping trolley! I love it. And we got the egg carton, popcorn and Colin the Caterpillar cake.

My grandsons wouldn't be interested and the girls are 2 years and the new baby is only 2 weeks so we'll hang on to it a while!

Ingrid45 ... yes! We noticed this. It was my Mum's favourite drink so would buy her a bottle every week. Funny how that price anomaly happens.

Lilyflower Sat 10-Aug-19 13:20:47

Chocolate, coffee, wine - all bonkers prices now. 80p for a shrunk Kitkat. They 'ave to to be 'avin' a larf!

However, those diddy toy sized wire trolleys and baskets at £3 a pop in M&S are adorable. Nevertheless, I'd never spend the £20 in one shop to get the free toy food to fill them.

SueDonim Sat 10-Aug-19 14:07:31

Some goods in M&S are well-priced. Their tinned toms & baked beans are very good and only 35p. Ditto their marmalades are good value and own-brand cereals. I tried Aldi own brand Weetabix. It was like chewing cardboard! Marmite was cheaper in M&S than anywhere else, locally.

I think it's the ready-prepared foods in M&S that have gone up, though I bought a ready-to-cook stir fry yesterday, that was meant to serve two but fed three, for only £6. I'm collecting the Little Shop toys for my daughter to use with her child. My daughter was horrified when I turned up with loads of different items, asking how much I'd spent! I was able to tell her that the M&S I mostly use is happy to offer the toys to the next customer if the previous one isn't collecting.

FC61 Sat 10-Aug-19 14:31:39

I don’t get food prices at all. I eat exactly the same in Germany , Croatia & UK. In Germany ( Lidl) a month is £176, in Croatia (Lidl) £180 and in UK (Tesco and Sainsbury for meat ) £280. The best quality is Lidl Germany , followed by Lidl Croatia , followed by Sainsburies , and lastly Tesco ( I refuse to buy meat or fish in Tesco cos caught too many times with meat fish off!). If I shopped in M&S I think it would be £380 ! I only buy occasionally if I pass by. It baffles me. Pretty sure food prices in UK will escalate post B !

wicklowwinnie Sat 10-Aug-19 14:41:35

No waste at all with M&S food, which is a plus.
Best news ever getting home delivery next year.
Brexit is going to be used as the excuse for everything ! It's
tailor -made for it!

2mason16 Sat 10-Aug-19 14:41:58

The Little Shop idea is from a new Aussie boss at M & S. Aussie supermarkets have lots of small plastic collectibles for children. I worried about them being a choking hazard with babies and toddlers!

Bijou Sat 10-Aug-19 14:50:50

I usually shop mostly in Lidl, getting items they don’t stock in Sainsburys. Last week I decided to see what the small M & S had to offer. Little fresh food. Aisles of ready meals which I never buy. Will not waste my time going there again. Sainsburys had special “lock down” on prices. Some items were reduced but others had gone up to compensate. Cannot win.

crystaltipps Sat 10-Aug-19 15:09:43

Well it is Brexit uncertainty which has caused the £ to crash, and as the majority of our food is imported it’s all going to get more expensive. It’s not an “excuse” it’s an explanation.

Nanny41 Sat 10-Aug-19 15:22:40

I always shop at ASDA it is near and very convenient, however one day I decided to shop at M+S, the prices were ridiculous,the goods were good, but never again will I be shopping there.

wicklowwinnie Sat 10-Aug-19 17:02:47

The £1 crashed many times before Brexit. Still be an excuse though!!!

Jane10 Sat 10-Aug-19 17:24:03

I love M&S food. No waste and full details of contents makes diet planning easy.
We love the little shop items. I have loads of them because I've become friendly with the checkout ladies and they often slip me a few extras because not every customer wants them. The DGSs have great fun opening the little packets which also contain jokes too. Real groaners!

Sr69 Sat 10-Aug-19 18:32:39

Don't know what I would do without M and S.
Sainsburys for cleaning and non food products,
couldn't be bothered shopping around for offers etc.
In the long run cost more in car fuel!!!!!

GabriellaG54 Sat 10-Aug-19 19:11:08

Jane43
I think you ought to go back to school if you conclude that a price hike from £1.50 to £2.00 is actually a rise of 33%.
Funny that no-one else has remarked on it.

Riverwalk Sat 10-Aug-19 20:03:58

It's near enough!

33.3%

Coolgran65 Sat 10-Aug-19 20:31:56

Of course 33%. is near enough, we knew what pp meant.