Gransnet forums

Food

M&S price hike

(58 Posts)
Jane43 Fri 09-Aug-19 12:11:33

We love M&S sweet and crunchy salad. I know it’s lazy to buy ready prepared salad but it’s only once a week usually. The price last week was £1.50 but this week it has gone up to £2.00 which is a price hike of 33%. So this is something that will be taken off our shopping list for the foreseeable future. This level of rise seems exorbitant. Anybody else notice huge price increases recently?

granbabies123 Sat 10-Aug-19 20:53:06

Salad is in season and very very cheap to grow so prices shouldn't go up at this time of year.
Why not have a go and grow some in a pot (cut and come again) or in an old gutter fastened to front of shed or fence.

harrigran Sat 10-Aug-19 23:49:24

I no longer buy pre-washed salad leaves, they are expensive and do not keep.
I buy little gem lettuce and wash and use as required.

SparklyGrandma Sat 10-Aug-19 23:56:40

I love M&S fruit and veg as it’s is always perfect, tastes real and nothing ever goes off.

Sadly their lovely ice cream is always a draw...must eat less ?

WOODMOUSE49 Sun 11-Aug-19 00:54:42

pudding123

Shopped at Morrisons today and got 3 quite large onions for £1. These were packaged together. No plastic though.

granny4hugs Sun 11-Aug-19 07:05:28

Yes - its what they called 'profiteering' during the war. It's been in the news how prices of fresh goods - especially very perishable fresh goods - will be affected by Brexit so some shops are getting in early and putting prices up now.
Years ago i was an M&S shopper. I'd always buy party dresses and special things for my girls from there. When they started buying in cheap from abroad I stopped. No point paying M&S prices for Primark quality. And no - I don't shop at Primark but you get my point.
I used to grocery shop at Lidl as I like the quality of their food but fell out with my local branch when they stopped staffing tills (after assuring me there would always be tills open if I wanted). Now I shop at Aldi. Their bread isn't good but everything else is and THE STAFF ARE NICE>

Linda369 Sun 11-Aug-19 08:38:38

No matter where you shop prices gave increased. Not hard to see why when you look at the exchange rates. £ and € almost 1:1 but 2 years ago nearer 1.50. Don’t think that this will improve any time soon.

TinaSharp Tue 20-Aug-19 17:27:30

I used to shop at Morrisons but I made the switch to Lidl a few months ago after finding that I could save a huge amount on my shop each month. Although the queues are unbearable at times, I don't mind it if I'm making a saving. I have noticed though that some of the fresh produce does not last as long and so I do normally get my salad elsewhere.