Gransnet forums

Food

Food waste

(7 Posts)
allule Tue 13-Aug-19 13:30:35

Here we go again....another shock report on the amount of food going to waste.

One easy solution....ban bogofs and multibuys of perishable goods.

I have just had to discard some strawberries, which I bought as an offer with raspberries. We love both, but would rather have them in separate orders.

I shall have to be strongminded and battle a lifelong addiction to bargains....but why do they do it!

RosieLeah Tue 13-Aug-19 13:43:22

More portions for single people would cut down a lot of the waste in my house. There are a lot of people living alone, but it's still difficult to buy small quantities of things.

EllanVannin Tue 13-Aug-19 14:06:41

I agree with you RosieLeah. I overbuy with a lot of items that usually get slung in the bin because I won't eat anything perishable beyond 2 days because you don't know when it first began its life.

Pittcity Tue 13-Aug-19 14:23:14

I would love to be able to buy exactly the amount I need but supermarket s seem to think that you need a big bag of carrots, instead of just one, for example. Loose produce is the answer!

M0nica Tue 13-Aug-19 15:04:11

I do not overbuy and all leftovers, and there rarely are any, get put straight in the freezer, so no danger of anything going off.

This is why I have only a small table top fridge, which is usually half empty

FlexibleFriend Tue 13-Aug-19 15:14:23

I like bogoffs and I eat them all, it's not difficult. I don't bin food at all.

Pantglas1 Tue 13-Aug-19 15:23:29

Must admit M0nica I do overbuy but then rearrange my meal plan for the week to accommodate that - however I never throw food away, always making soup with left over veg.

Having a freezer means one ‘bogof’ goes in there while we eat another or I’ll have a batch cooking morning. Perishable fruit is eaten fresh, frozen, jammed or sauced and poured over yogurt or ice cream - my imagination goes ballistic when I see food going cheap!