Gransnet forums

Food

Gourmet Meals at My Assisted Living Residence

(88 Posts)
lonjay Fri 30-Aug-19 23:55:09

Thursday Nights Dinner

rosecarmel Sat 07-Sep-19 05:19:30

I got to thinking more about pasta ... And my grandparents who both prepared simple meals- He from Calitri and she Naples- I don't recall them preparing pasta with anything other than tomato or olive oil- A scant handful of pecorino, basil, oregano- Wilted salad- Wine-

maddyone Thu 05-Sep-19 23:27:18

It looks dry and unappetising to me. Anything but gourmet.

GabriellaG54 Thu 05-Sep-19 23:17:05

Dry pasta and not something you'd have with carrot (in chunks?)
and whatever the brown stuff is.
They need to sack the cook as the food certainly doesn't 'go' with the wine and table-linen.
I'd certainly expect a better meal.

Gonegirl Sun 01-Sep-19 10:29:45

Well, I can't link to the deleted thread (because it's been deleted). He put under 'Health' for some reason.

I don't think people always realise just how UK centred this site is.

Riverwalk Sun 01-Sep-19 10:23:09

Oh, you cynic!

Like we would all hop over to Fresno to live hmm. I didn't see the link to the care home.

Well I'm not going anywhere that serves naked fusili! grin

Gonegirl Sun 01-Sep-19 10:07:32

The thread where he put the actual link to the care home has been deleted.

It was a con!!!

Very clever. grin

Riverwalk Sun 01-Sep-19 09:58:03

I don't think he's advertising - looks genuine to me, particularly as he's posted photos of himself.

An advert wouldn't show that pasta dish!

LullyDully Sun 01-Sep-19 09:51:43

bradfordlass..Just a thought about wartime memorabilia. Care homes should have Beatles/ Stones/ Jimmy Hendricks . Memories of the 50s and 60s. Time marches on.

Gonegirl Sun 01-Sep-19 09:47:18

Is he still around?!

It was all leading up to an advert for a posh care home in the US.

kittylester Sun 01-Sep-19 09:41:45

Actually esspee, lonjay appears to be advertising on another thread.

And conversations wander.

MawB Sun 01-Sep-19 09:26:53

Whose thread is this? lonjay has joined us from sunny California and you are all hijacking their thread
Nobody “owns” a thread Esspee - and without the comments of others it would be a monologue.

Hetty58 Sun 01-Sep-19 09:08:26

We totally failed to find a suitable care home for a mother with OCD, orthorexia and an aversion to any reminders of wartime!

BradfordLass72 Sun 01-Sep-19 00:43:15

Bear in mind I have very poor eyesight lonjay but your meal looks like a rather cute, stuffed baby alligator. I have very little idea of American cuisine.

sodapop It's only 6 years ago since they bought the rest home and most residents are in their 80s.
They love what they were brought up with and the 'healthy' part is that everything is fresh.

Chef bakes their cakes for morning or afternoon tea. Blueberry and/or apple muffins are a favourite. Fruit is always an option.

They do eat more than bananas of course: oranges, stewed apple, stone fruits and soft fruits but some citrus doesn't go with medications.

All the soups are freshly made and the old-fashioned salads: tomato, boiled egg, cucumber (optional, it makes some of the residents burp) lettuce and spring onion and lately a bit of a coup for those who can manage it coleslaw!

No one wants a bar of rocket or mesculun smile

As for 'modern' music - hey still prefer war time songs and hymns.
In the dementia unit, they have a book of old memories featuring many of the war time adverts and familiar logos from the 30's and 40's.

Esspee Sat 31-Aug-19 21:08:33

Whose thread is this? lonjay has joined us from sunny California and you are all hijacking their thread.

So lonjay, my guess is that after such a long retirement and all your world travelling that you are so happy to be living somewhere that you can enjoy life and be pampered.
Am I right? It must be lovely to have meals like that prepared for you.

GagaJo Sat 31-Aug-19 21:04:38

I know sodapop, odd really. It's just a carbohydrate.

rosecarmel Sat 31-Aug-19 21:02:07

Gonegirl, I had no idea they still existed! I remember when they came in frozen, wrapped, flatish boxes-

rosecarmel Sat 31-Aug-19 20:58:06

But .. Back to what Americans eat .. smile

It's a country of immigrants- No two households are alike- Many overeat- Not all taco bell and mc d- Too much of a good thing can put on extra pounds too- If that's what you mean?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Aug-19 20:49:41

Yes I don’t use capers as it’s one ingredient that I don’t like. But it sounds really yummy.

rosecarmel Sat 31-Aug-19 20:47:06

Thank you Whitewave .. I appreciate it ..

I do a generous amount of olive oil, garlic, basil, oregano, mashed capers, and Chianti until infused then add the tomato .. But the aroma prior to adding the tomato is the best part of prep ..

MawB Sat 31-Aug-19 20:35:35

ninathenana by joux did you mean jus?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Aug-19 20:29:22

There is nothing quicker than a tomato sauce. Ideally made with gorgeous fresh tomatoes grown in hot summer sun, but here in the U.K. our tomatoes don’t have the sweetness that comes from Italian tomatoes.

So I use a good quality tinned tomato, taste them if they are sweet and yummy that’s right for making the sauce.
So it’s garlic, onion, (both fresh) diced. Fry onion off in good quality extra virgin, add garlic and red wine, then I add the tomatoes fresh basil and oregano plus a bay leaf. Simmer and reduce then add good quality tomato purée. Done !

You can make your own variation of herbs but they are my favourite.

Gonegirl Sat 31-Aug-19 20:20:00

here

Gonegirl Sat 31-Aug-19 20:18:07

Don't mention the plastic though!

Gonegirl Sat 31-Aug-19 20:17:45

shock !!!!

Their sachets of mixed veg (3 mins in microwave) are excellent for the lazy eater

rosecarmel Sat 31-Aug-19 20:15:07

I didn't know Birds Eye was still in business!