Gransnet forums

Food

Gourmet Meals at My Assisted Living Residence

(87 Posts)
lonjay Fri 30-Aug-19 23:55:09

Thursday Nights Dinner

Marydoll Sat 31-Aug-19 00:22:32

I was about to report this, thinking it was advertising!?
It's usually late at night they appear.

Welcome, lonjay. ? Lucky you!

BradfordLass72 Sat 31-Aug-19 00:54:21

lonjay Not quite sure if you're being sarcastic or boasting, could be taken either way.

It's a meal many people would absolutely love; not my taste as I don't eat pasta or red meat.

My idea of a gourmet meal is a lovely crisp salad and, if I'm treating myself, a bit of peppered salmon.

If I'm living on half a shoestring, as I usually am, a boiled egg grin and I'm not complaining, it's the food I love.

Riverwalk Sat 31-Aug-19 06:52:25

It's obviously not a gourmet meal.

The OP is probably paying high fees and expects something better!

glammanana Sat 31-Aug-19 07:06:08

BL72 Salmon is right up my Street also when it comes to gourmet meals,this pasta looks rather dry and rather bland,I would rather have a M&S dine in for 2.

sodapop Sat 31-Aug-19 07:20:48

It looks over carotted as well.

I see the ads for the M & S meals glammanana and wish we could get them here. They look tasty and such good value.

notnecessarilywiser Sat 31-Aug-19 07:29:34

sodapop - I'm not sure of your location/circumstances, but Ocado are partnering with M&S quite soon so that might suit you?

BlueBelle Sat 31-Aug-19 07:35:50

Well it doesn’t look high end but not terrible either glass of white with it
I m like Bradford don’t eat meat or pasta but detest salmon although I do love noodles so I d be having bread and jam if that was the only thing on offer ?

Esspee Sat 31-Aug-19 07:52:18

Lonjay has joined us from California so will hopefully be sound asleep by now.
That meal looks very well balanced to me, though I would have preferred red to white wine. ? I bet you enjoyed it.
It must be lovely to sit back and be waited upon lonjay after such a long retirement. Have a lovely day when you wake.

Minniemoo Sat 31-Aug-19 07:58:45

I was thinking that as well, Espee. I get so tired of thinking what to eat/having to cook. I'd survive on tuna sandwiches if it wasn't for my husband!

How wonderful to have a lovely meal with a nice glass of wine served to you!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Aug-19 08:36:06

That meal looks as if it was thought up by someone who hasn’t a clue about nutrition, good cooking or plate appeal.

Ghastly.

janeainsworth Sat 31-Aug-19 08:40:23

What’s wrong with it from a nutritional point of view, Whitewave?
Pasta may contain carbohydrates but it’s also a source of protein.
Perhaps you could tell us what you had for dinner last night?

Maggiemaybe Sat 31-Aug-19 08:57:40

It’s too late for Bon Appetit, so I’ll just say I hope you enjoyed it, lonjay. Welcome to Gransnet! smile

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Aug-19 09:06:26

Last night dinner was hake fillet on a bed of stewed peppers.
Tonight’s is a vegetarian Thai Green Curry
Tomorrow is beef stroganoff with brown rice and runner beans

That meal has far too much carbohydrate. The vegetables are poorly presented and too heavy on the carrots.
The meat which I presume is beef has insufficient sauce, as the pasta used should only be used where there is a lot of sauce to cover it. It should never be presented naked but have a covering of sauce.

Poor meal.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Aug-19 09:07:43

Saying all that lonjay don’t for heavens sake take any notice of me what do I know? ??

Welcome to GN

BlueBelle Sat 31-Aug-19 09:25:40

Indeed whitewave
Last night I had a mix of stir fry vegetables with a joux of something or other tossed together on a bed of rice (white
I m afraid)
???

Gonegirl Sat 31-Aug-19 09:32:36

Looks like a well balanced healthy meal, allbeit a bit bland.

What were the other options on the menu? (menu in pic)

Gonegirl Sat 31-Aug-19 09:34:17

I had a bowl of rice crispies with a sliced banana.

Left DH to get his own oven fish and chips on.

Gonegirl Sat 31-Aug-19 09:34:45

I am on a desperation diet.

Gonegirl Sat 31-Aug-19 09:37:41

Btw notnecessarilywiser, it's over a year until we can get M and S meals via Ocado. sad September 2020.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Aug-19 09:43:12

I will continue to dig myself in a hole by saying that if the person is paying dearly for this and it is held out as gourmet then it is a total con. But if not then I guess it is ok but I wouldn’t eat it.

grannylyn65 Sat 31-Aug-19 10:02:09

‘Joux’ ?!! What fresh hell ?

Chewbacca Sat 31-Aug-19 10:16:32

My roast chicken, on a bed of baked spud with soupçon of melted butter and a side dish of petis pois was delish last night. Poached pears and glaçe ice cream to us plebs was washed down with a mug of tea.

I have no idea what the rest of the weeks meals will be because I haven't bought it yet.

Your meal looks just fine to me lonjay.

crazyH Sat 31-Aug-19 10:23:14

Could have been presented better I guess..the carrots looked as they were just thrown on the plate. Is that spinach on the meat? Probably the spinach was saucy.

ninathenana Sat 31-Aug-19 10:34:11

Joux....... gravy to you and me grannylynn smile