Gransnet forums

Food

Cheese Topping for Moussaka

(13 Posts)
Carillion01 Sat 14-Sep-19 11:33:10

Thanks to hulahoops thread and the helpful advice about freezing cheese sauce I thought I'd ask for help with very thick cheese sauce.

I once had a lovely moussaka in a Greek restaurant in theUK.

The cheese topping was so thick it stood on top of the dish like a firmly set custard, not at all sloppy and it didn't filter into the rest of the dish.

I've tried so many times to replicate it but never managed to. I'd really welcome suggestions and advice, thank you.

lemongrove Sat 14-Sep-19 11:53:59

Must have had lots of cheese in it I think, and maybe cornflour?

SirChenjin Sat 14-Sep-19 11:56:06

Eggs are your friend - try this one www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/moussaka_6812/amp

paddyann Sat 14-Sep-19 12:10:42

I make a thickish cheese sauce and add a couple of eggs to the mix for a moussaka ,makes a souffled style topping .I got my recipe from cypriot friends who had a fab Greek restaurant in the 80's .

Carillion01 Sat 14-Sep-19 12:24:13

Thanks Paddyann, this follows what's been posted about extra cheese and eggs by Lemon and SirChenjin, do you have a few extra hints, for example whole eggs or just yolks and when are they added?

paddyann Sat 14-Sep-19 12:37:26

I add the yolks to the cheese sauce and then the whisked whites ,

Carillion01 Sat 14-Sep-19 12:42:13

Thank you! ?

CanuckaLatte Sat 14-Sep-19 14:49:58

Carrillion a lot of people here top moussaka with a bechamel sauce and then cheese - that might account for the thick custard-like top?

Yorksherlass Sat 14-Sep-19 14:57:57

I make my topping sauce with thick Greek yogurt mixed with beaten egg and cheese , it forms to quite a solid topping then add cheese on top to brown ,its delish ?

Nannarose Sat 14-Sep-19 15:17:06

I think that many of these work well, and it depends on what suits you. My favourite moussaka recipe (from a Greek Cypriot) tops with a very thick bechamel, and NO CHEESE OR EGG!!! (her emphasis!)
FYI, the bechamel, for 4 portions, is made with 500ml milk, warmed with spices (peppercorns, parsley stalks, a garlic clove or bit of onion, and a cinnamon stick). It is then made up with 50g butter and 50g flour.

But rather like cassoulet, paella, our hot-pots, pies & pasties, I'm sure that every area, and every cook, had their own version, that they adapted when stocks of certain ingredients were low (in a subsistence economy, I can't see precious eggs being added to an already rich dish)

M0nica Sat 14-Sep-19 15:33:33

I do a cheese sauce lite. Over a portion of moussake for two,I spread a pot of 0% fat fromage fraiche (not creme fraiche) and scatter grated cheese over it.

I also poach the aubergine slices instead of frying them before putting them on the meat sauce.

BradfordLass72 Sun 15-Sep-19 07:54:16

I learned a culinary trick from a Greek chef.

When you have made your cheese sauce, let it cool a bit then beat in an egg before pouring it onto the moussaka.
The sauce must be cool enough that it doesn't cook the egg.
This makes the cheese topping rise beautifully.

Carillion01 Sun 15-Sep-19 11:11:18

Thanks BradfordLass. I needed to know about whether to add the eggs to cool or just cooked cheese sauce.