Gransnet forums

Food

Your easy tasty one pot meal favourite.

(33 Posts)
Ohmother Tue 01-Oct-19 23:35:51

Help. Got guests coming over and need to make a quick, easy, delicious meal for 5!

LondonGranny Tue 01-Oct-19 23:41:07

Sliced chorizo, tinned kidney beans, tinned tomatoes, carrots, celery, onions, sweetcorn. I usually lob in chillies too but we like hot food. Serve with crusty bread, I lob the beans and sweetcorn at the end. You might need to lob in a stock cube

rosecarmel Wed 02-Oct-19 00:48:32

Homemade Chicken and Noodles by The Pioneer Woman

Paella

Cacciatore

Enchilada

Bouillabaisse

Stew

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Oct-19 07:13:36

It depends how posh you are going.

One of the tastiest but frugal suppers we like is Sausage tray bake.

Best quality sausages
Potatoes cut into chunks
Large red onion
Red pepper
Garlic
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
White wine

Bung everything into a large roasting tray except the wine. Bake at about 180-200 for 35-40mins.
Turn everything
Splash in wine
Another 15-20 mins

Simple and delicious.

kittylester Wed 02-Oct-19 07:39:53

We do one similar to that but top it with cheese rather than wine, whitewave.

Chicken thighs, halved new potatoes, sliced peppers, sliced red onions, whole garlic cloves tossed in olive oil, season well, roast for about an hour.

oldgimmer1 Wed 02-Oct-19 07:43:59

Sausage casserole:

Sausage cut up.
Tin beans.
Onions.
Peppers.
Couple slices apple.
Chilli or paprika to season.

Cook until liquids absorbed. Serve with pasta or rice.

Hetty58 Wed 02-Oct-19 08:19:16

Chick pea and spinach curry:

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/kadala-curry

(I leave out the coriander, as I really don't like it, and add more spinach. You can make it (without greens) the day before, then add spinach and reheat.)

Serve with rice and naan bread.

annsixty Wed 02-Oct-19 08:24:58

kitty don't you put any liquid in?
Do the potatoes cook through ok without any?
I have all those ingredients in and as I am out today that sounds ideal for popping in the oven when I get back.

TwiceAsNice Wed 02-Oct-19 08:28:28

A portion of cod or hake per person . Put in oven proof dish. Add large bag of prawns. Some basil leaves torn . One large avocado sliced. Pour on a carton of cream and grate 5 ozs of cheese over the top. Bake at 180 degrees for 15-20 mins until bubbling. It’s filling on it’s own or you can add new potatoes, salad or garlic/crusty bread separately. It’s a Jamie recipe and our family love it

annsixty Wed 02-Oct-19 08:33:31

On that fish dish sounds delicious.
That is a definite one to try.
I would never have thought of cooking avocado with fish although of course it goes well with prawns cold.

kittylester Wed 02-Oct-19 09:17:06

ann, do you mean the chicken one? No liquid apart from the I've oil.

The sausage one , if I'm making the sausage one with new potatoes no liquid and I parboil cubed old potatoes. Still no fluid apart from the olive oil. It's essentially a roast.

kittylester Wed 02-Oct-19 09:17:39

I add cherry to.atorz to both if I have some.

Yorksherlass Wed 02-Oct-19 09:18:42

Chicken thighs skin off, peppers, mushrooms,chorizo, onion,
tinned tomatoes, garlic, herbs in a casserole dish with lid served with garlic bread to mop up , delish

Bathsheba Wed 02-Oct-19 09:43:41

1 chopped onion
500 gms minced beef
1 pigs kidney or 2 lambs kidneys
200gm streaky bacon
1 dstp flour
250ml beef stock
generous splash of Worcester sauce
400g tin of baked beans

Using a large wok, sweat the onion, add mince, kidney and bacon, stir fry till browned.
Stir in the flour, and add the stock a little at a time (amount is approximate, as I usually just bung stuff in till it feels right blush). You don't want it too runny!
Add Worcester sauce and stir in baked beans
Turn all into an ovenproof casserole dish, cover and cook at 350f/180c/Gas Mark 4 for about 45-60 minutes.

We usually serve this with a slice of toast torn up and scattered over - no need for other carbs like potatoes, rice, pasta etc.

Bathsheba Wed 02-Oct-19 09:44:40

Should have added that, of course, the kidneys and bacon should be chopped!

jo1book Wed 02-Oct-19 09:54:30

Like Londongran I love Choritzo stew but stick potatoes in mine.

Anja Wed 02-Oct-19 10:44:16

Hairy Dieters, Old Fashioned Chicken Stew.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Oct-19 10:54:38

I think oven tray bakes are one of easiest and satisfying meals.

Yes like Kitty I use chicken thighs (much nicer than dry old breast)

And often do the fish one

Really the sky is the limit and so easy!!

The tray goes into the dishwasher as well so no hard work.

What’s not to like?

Pantglas2 Wed 02-Oct-19 12:36:57

I agree with tray bakes and thighs v breast WWM2 - I do a sage & onion chicken all marinaded in a freezer bag over night. Add a quartered lemon, tbsp honey & seasoning and give to the odd squish every time you pass before popping in hot oven for an hour. Serve with anything!

grapefruitpip Wed 02-Oct-19 12:40:52

Chicken thighs ( skin off), a stew pack from the supermarket , tin of tomatoes.
Sainsbury do a great jar of butter beans in a tasty oil....add at the end.
In the slow cooker.
Call it Catalan Chicken or something fancy.

kittylester Thu 03-Oct-19 08:29:34

Just remember.bered another sausage one whi h I think is a Nigel Slater.

It isnt quick but is delicious.

Put halved sausages and some sage leaves in olive oil in the oven for about 15 mins. Meanwhile slice new potatoes, lengthways,. Add to roasting dish and toss together. Top with stock so e everything is well covered. After 20 minutes toss again and push everything under the stock if possible.

After 20 minutes turn up the heat to reduce the stock and brown the top. Probably another 20 minutes.

I serve with broccoli in a cheese and tomato sauce.

We night have that tonight!

merlotgran Thu 03-Oct-19 08:36:10

I'm cooking for one at the moment so last night had sag aloo with a fried egg on top.

I also love those chicken thigh and vegetable traybakes mentioned above as you can use any left over veg to make soup.

KnightApril Mon 14-Oct-19 17:41:56

I like Ricotta Salad. Fresh and Healthy
greenann.com/recipe/tomato-ricotta-salad/
Ingredients:
3 Plum tomatoes
2 oz Ricotta cheese
0,5 oz Arugula
0,5 oz Basil
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tbsp Balsamic glaze
1 pinch Sea salt
1 pinch Black Pepper
Yammy!))

DoraMarr Mon 14-Oct-19 19:44:40

Casserole beef, in chunks, pack of casserole mix ( chopped onions, carrots, leeks, swede) pack of baby potatoes, tin of chopped tomatoes, flour, red wine, tomato paste, Italian herb mix, about 1/3 pint beef stock.
Fry onions in olive oil, remove from pan, add more oil, fry vegetables briefly, fry beef, add I tablespoon flour, mix and fry briefly, add beef stock slowly, add I glass wine, drink I glass, add tin of tomatoes, I tblspn tomato paste, good shake of dried herbs, potatoes. Put in oven on hot first, then when bubbling turn down heat and let it cook for about 2 1/2 hours. You can add a tin of borlotti beans, fry some pancetta at the beginning and add, mushrooms, pasta, peppers etc. To make it go further. Also good with chicken instead of beef. Add more herbs, salt pepper to taste. Nice with chopped parsley on top just before serving. Serve with bread, breadsticks, ciabatta or focaccia. And red wine.

grapefruitpip Mon 14-Oct-19 19:53:12

Oh Dora, that sounds brilliant and sort of healthy.