Gransnet forums

Food

Coconut cream

(27 Posts)
JackyB Wed 02-Oct-19 15:16:23

I bought some of this by mistake, thinking it was coconut milk (for curries etc). I'm wondering if I can use it up for a cake or biscuits as I have guests for tea tomorrow.

Does anyone have any recipes or should I just dollop the stuff in a basic sponge or biscuit mixture?

It is incredibly sweet and tastes more of sugar than coconut, rather like condensed milk. There's about half a tin left as I have been eating some of it, cause I couldn't resist. (it made me feel a bit sick, actually!)

I used a tablespoon of it in pumpkin soup because that was what I opened the tin for, but couldn't use any more because it would have made it too sweet.

Recipes/advice please!

Gonegirl Wed 02-Oct-19 15:19:54

gringringrin

I haven't a clue, but you're a woman after my own heart.

humptydumpty Wed 02-Oct-19 15:47:16

Try Mr Google?

tiredoldwoman Wed 02-Oct-19 15:54:22

Ooh , does it taste like a bounty bar . sounds like a good mistake to me ? What about making a rice pudding and stirring it through or stirring it into a plain yoghurt ?

Oopsminty Wed 02-Oct-19 15:56:25

No idea but it sounds gorgeous

JackyB Wed 02-Oct-19 17:08:49

Google was no help. I'll just add it to the mixture and let you know.

Gonegirl Wed 02-Oct-19 17:13:43

To a sponge mixture? That will be interesting. Coconut fudge cake perhaps.

I'd eat it.

petra Wed 02-Oct-19 17:22:04

jackyB
google was no help
I stopped counting at 30 on the BBC food website.

SueDonim Wed 02-Oct-19 17:24:28

You can dilute the coconut cream with water and use it in curries.

I don't like coconut so I've no recipes, sorry!

MiniMoon Wed 02-Oct-19 17:48:22

Coconut cream freezes well. Why don't you divided it into amounts needed for dishes, curries, puddings etc, and freeze for later.
Coconut rice pudding is delicious, make one for supper. ?

JackyB Thu 03-Oct-19 07:57:03

All the recipes (including the BBC ones) are for creamed coconut. That's different. I can imagine a teaspoonful of this stirred into a bowl of plain yoghurt would work. It could possibly make ice cream, but there's not enough for that left. It wouldn't freeze on its own as it contains too much sugar.

Nannarose Thu 03-Oct-19 08:03:41

I'm with SueDonim. When I've had left overs, I frozen it, then defrosted and diluted to use as coconut milk. I dilute it 50/50, but just taste and do what seems right to you. Coconut milk is very variable in dilution anyway - and the half-fat is is just diluted a bit more!
I am of the impression (maybe an expert will correct me) that coconut milk isn't the same as cows' or goats' milk - where we are used to skimming off the fat to use as cream, or leaving it in the milk in various proportions. I think coconut milk is just sold at different dilutions - that is different to 'creamed coconut' that has some of the nut in it.

BradfordLass72 Fri 04-Oct-19 00:10:53

It's used by the ton here and you can put it into curries just the same. I have heaps of recipes.

I tend NOT to use the one pictured grin although it is popular.

If I make a curry and it's a mild one, I add half a small tin of CC (about 50g) and use the other half, diluted with regular milk to make rice pudding from the left-over rice which went with the curry.

My ever-practical Yorkshire soul.

JackyB Tue 08-Oct-19 21:15:56

Well, I put a few spoons into the biscuit mixture - any more and it would have been too sticky. They had a slight coconutty taste and a good texture.

The rest I made into a milk shake in the end - two teaspoons in a glass of milk. Finally emptied the tin!

I also had a half jar of baby food (apple and apricot) which DS2 had left in the fridge after staying the weekend before. I dolloped that into the Victoria Sponge mixture. It gave it a bit of an undefinable fruitiness.

BradfordLass72 Wed 09-Oct-19 06:55:24

It's magic in a mug of hot chocolate.

KnightApril Tue 22-Oct-19 18:53:53

Will be Great with Strawberry Kiwi Smoothie!!))) greenann.com/recipe/strawberry-kiwi-smoothie/

Fennel Tue 22-Oct-19 20:14:23

Coconut cream should work ok in a curry. You just need less than the amount of coconut milk.
I used to be able to buy in a block - cut off a few thin slices, add it to the curry and it dissolves. Better than coconut milk imo, which is almost tasteless.

Callistemon Tue 22-Oct-19 20:27:14

I have used coconut cream in a curry - I used to buy the sachets.

If I could buy a block I would, the sachets are, of course, plastic.

JackyB Wed 23-Oct-19 00:25:06

Thanks for making further suggestions but the stuff I had could definitely not be used as described.

I have had the creamed coconut in blocks before and it was very versatile. I have also used coconut milk but this was a coconut flavoured sirup and was far too runny and sweet for anything except drinks or for more than a couple of teaspoonsful to be added to a sweet dish.

I shall make sure not to buy it again!

Fennel Wed 23-Oct-19 09:22:29

Evidently Tesco sometimes have the blocks:
www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/272666106

Witzend Wed 23-Oct-19 09:25:41

You can freeze it - maybe in ice cube trays - and use it later in a Thai style soup or green curry.

Witzend Wed 23-Oct-19 09:27:39

Meant to add, I will be using some frozen coconut cream or milk - forget which - in a Thai style pumpkin soup the day after Halloween.
Waste not want not...

Fennel Wed 23-Oct-19 11:13:18

I bought a block of coconut cream in Tesco this morning. £1.45.
Witzend I made some soup like that recently, with butternut, but found it too sweet for my taste. Added a bit more salt and that was better.

merlotgran Wed 23-Oct-19 13:30:27

www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/302319899

I use these for thickening soups and curries because I'm often only cooking for two. They are coconut milk alternatives to yoghurt so suitable for vegans.

What's really good about them is they freeze well and don't curdle when you add them to a sauce.

Callistemon Wed 23-Oct-19 23:05:55

waste not want not

I was listening to someone on the car radio today who is encouraging people to use the flesh and seeds from their Hallowe'en pumpkins, most of which gets discarded.

I've made pumpkin soup, we have roast pumpkin but I've never eaten the seeds.
Apparently the seeds contain a natural worming ingredient so are fed to animals.
Who knew!