Gransnet forums

Food

Le Creuset

(35 Posts)
shysal Tue 22-Oct-19 14:24:04

I don't have any hob-to-oven casseroles or pans. I fry off the basic foods and transfer to a Pyrex with lid, or slow cooker.
Many of the TV chefs use Le Creuset, and I wonder if they are worth the money and would they be too heavy for my bad wrist? They seem to discolour badly too.

Ngaio1 Wed 23-Oct-19 23:09:26

I loved my Le Creuset but it is far too heavy now!

craftyone Fri 25-Oct-19 15:55:49

I use le creuset tri ply as my everyday pans on an induction hob. I also have 3 coloured le creuset casserole dishes and I used one today. I did strt off with a pan but the pan filled quickly, so I transferred to the very large casserole dish. I made a lovely minestrone in that, enough for 8 portions to freeze. Not too heavy for me, from hob to sink to storage on the bottom shelf of a mobile island

Mapleleaf Fri 25-Oct-19 17:18:44

I agree, they are heavy, but they are very good - I have a couple of the casserole dishes. At the moment, I can manage them, so will continue with them for the time being.

WishIwasyounger Fri 25-Oct-19 19:24:48

They are heavy but I've had mine for years, and managed to claim them following my divorce.

Liaise Fri 25-Oct-19 20:17:52

I have several le creuset pans cast iron and stainless steel. The food tastes good when slow cooked in a cast iron casserole. I wouldn’t be without them.

etheltbags1 Fri 25-Oct-19 20:21:29

How do you pronounce the name. Is it lay crew set. Pls enlighten me

Callistemon Fri 25-Oct-19 20:29:19

How to write le phonetically hmm

Luh (say it short, not drawn out) Croozay

MawB Fri 25-Oct-19 20:31:02

I love my Le Creuset casseroles (Ler croozay is not exactly, but close- ish!) I have a medium casserole and a big shallow paella pan plus lid in cream. Also a saucepan with a lid you can turn upside down to use as a small frying pan oh and a rectangular gratin dish.
Sorting out the garage a few weeks ago and some boxes which had come from MIL’s house in 2000 I was chuffed to find a huge blue casserole which I have used several times since! (Finders keepers)
Yes it is heavy but most pieces have two handles, one either side so not a problem.
I put them in the dishwasher without problem and they will certainly see me out!

Doodledog Fri 25-Oct-19 21:47:16

I have some LC; but now that the children have left I don't use them as much as before (they are large).

Sainsbury's do a range of cast iron cookware for half the price, however, and IMO it is just as good as LC. I got one recently to use at our lodge, and it was about £30 in the sale, reduced from £60, which is already half the price of LC. It is worth looking out for the sales and getting one then if you would like one.