Gransnet forums

Food

Family Recipes

(55 Posts)
harry1960 Wed 13-Nov-19 19:32:43

I've got some secret family recipes, which I've kept onto for ages but as I grow older, I feel like it's time to share them out. What are your secret family recipes and how do you pass them down/share them?

One of them is cinammon & rum infused pears!

OPgrndtr Sun 17-Nov-19 14:08:05

I inherited my dad's mum's recipe box in 1975. A few weeks ago my son told his son that Granny knows how to make pickles and wanted to know how. I got into my gran's box and found my favorite of her pickle recipes. I copied her handwritten one on Xerox and sent it with a little story. So now my 13 yo DGS is making his Great Great Grandmother's pickles. It does my heart good.

KarenDerna Wed 27-Nov-19 10:08:42

I inherited my mums notebook with recipes she made at home, and recipes she wrote down when she worked in a hospital kitchen, enormous amounts, ie 15 pounds if flour fir the bread recipe. I don't actually use them, but they are so lovely to look at, she was a great cook and baker. I also have her Good Housekeeping Recipe book, it's enormous and the photos are incredible, so much colouring in the icing , and garish garnishes . A whole chapter on cooking for invalids, sounds horrible . But the basic recipes are still brilliant. Brings back happy memories as she died at 54, so she's not here to talk about them.

Blondiescot Wed 27-Nov-19 12:42:52

Half the joy of food is sharing - so why not recipes? Sadly, I don't have any family recipes which have been passed down, although I do have a couple of my mum's old cook books. She made a lovely fish pie - Russian fish pie, she called it - which I've googled and found recipes for koulibiak which sound very similar, so I'm going to give that a try some time. My aunt also made the best ever xmas pudding, but when I asked for the recipe, she said she just played it by ear every year!

humptydumpty Wed 27-Nov-19 13:07:00

I know what you mean, Blondie - I remeber asking my mother for the recipe for her delicious parsley pie - but it was very vague and variable! Made a basic one though and it was really yummy!