Gransnet forums

Food

Wooden platters

(11 Posts)
JaredWelch Sat 23-Nov-19 11:24:40

We have a stainless steel utensil in the kitchen. It is quite great to have food in the alloy.

mumofmadboys Wed 20-Nov-19 20:34:51

The last meal I took my Dad out for on his 85 th birthday was served on a wooden platter. It was salmon, new pots and veg. Would have been so much better on a plate. Surely just seeing an elderly man the waitress should have realised. It makes me sad to recall it. He died a few months later, bless him

SueDonim Wed 20-Nov-19 19:46:33

I'm not so concerned about whether they're hygienic, although wood does need to be properly hand-washed, as the sheer usefulness and aesthetics of it. Food on a white plate looks so appetising, plus gravy tends to run off a platter!

Hetty58 Wed 20-Nov-19 19:35:33

It doesn't worry me as I have no faith in anything (crockery, cutlery, glasses etc.) being very clean in restaurants anyway. Isn't wood naturally germ-resistant though?

kittylester Wed 20-Nov-19 19:31:12

Wood is naturally antibacterial

Blondiescot Wed 20-Nov-19 19:28:56

One of my photos made it onto wewantplates.com and got a huge response! I was quite amused...

grannylyn65 Wed 20-Nov-19 18:57:50

Would have done the same Sue

Farmor15 Wed 20-Nov-19 18:56:57

I was in an expensive restaurant recently and the small pats of butter were on pebbles! Looked like they were beach ones.

SueDonim Wed 20-Nov-19 18:53:43

We Want Plates are onto it! wewantplates.com

I dislike non-plate eatingware. I mortified my DD once when I sent back a soft drink in a jam jar and requested it be served in a proper glass.

suzette1613 Wed 20-Nov-19 17:59:41

Don`t know about the hygiene aspect of them but I like a plate with my meals. Slates, twee metal buckets, wooden slabs and numerous other things don`t enhance my `eating experience.`

Aepgirl Wed 20-Nov-19 17:55:44

I have just had a delicious lunch in a local restaurant, but was a bit suspicious of the starter being served directly onto a wooden platter. I don’t see how these platters can be hygienic as they can’t be washed with very hot water. Do others feel the same?