Gransnet forums

Food

I think I may have overdone it on the mincemeat front.

(62 Posts)
Gonegirl Mon 02-Dec-19 15:12:59

I have just stood there peeling and finely choping 4 lbs cooking apples, (knackered now!) put them in the saucepan with the melted sugar in cider,and added raisins and currants. The recipe says to add all other ingredients to pan. No way can I get them all in, and I'm using my biggest saucepan.

Still got the cherries, peel and nuts to add.

I obviously must usually halve the recipe. I don't do this amount!

I need a lie down, but it's not finished.

Amd wat I'm gonna do for jars, I don't knw.

Sorry my typin g ha gone to pt. It's exhausyion. Sigh.

Shazmo24 Wed 04-Dec-19 18:13:36

If you have made too much I've found a recipe for mincemeat fudge, mincemeat muffins & mincemeat cake lol

Gonegirl Wed 04-Dec-19 14:04:54

?? Don't stop me now.......?? ?

SueDonim Wed 04-Dec-19 13:27:31

Your house must be awash with mincemeat, Gonegirl! grin

Gonegirl Wed 04-Dec-19 09:51:38

I've actually decided I don't like the mincemeat very much. I'm going to try a different recipe today. (Just a little bit)

Gonegirl Wed 04-Dec-19 09:50:36

That thread title is straight out of Alan Bennett

You're right BradfordLass. grin I didn't think of it like that!

ecci53 Wed 04-Dec-19 08:53:43

I always make my own mincemeat with no suet and reduced sugar. It has to be kept in the freezer until cooked, doesn't actually freeze because it has lots of whiskey in it, so can be used straight from the freezer. No fiddling about with jars and it doesn't have to be cooked beforehand. I find the bought stuff far too sweet and gloopy.

cas58 Wed 04-Dec-19 07:22:39

I don't get it. If you're given it as a gift why would you give the jar back?

BradfordLass72 Wed 04-Dec-19 03:07:46

"rusrplus" really? grin surplus.

BradfordLass72 Wed 04-Dec-19 03:06:50

That thread title is straight out of Alan Bennett grin

You could freeze the rusrplus in zip lock bags; it'll keep forever with alcohol in it.

For many years I've made the Delia Smith Oaty Slice as well as a few fiddly individual pies - and the same fruit mixture makes a lovely cake too.

www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/party-food/canapes-nibbles/wholefood-mincemeat-slices

Caro57 Tue 03-Dec-19 19:19:48

Sounds like you have solved the (early) Christmas gift problem! Once bottled it should keep for months. Instead of just currants I put mincemeat in baked apples....... just a thought for using some!

SueDonim Tue 03-Dec-19 17:39:37

Each to their own, Rosina. I had never made my own mincemeat before a few years ago and I’m not convinced mine is any better than a good quality shop-bought version. Last year I made some because it used up some of the glut of apples everyone had.

However, I enjoy pottering in a warm kitchen making something that’s not yet another everyday meal. That’s why I make my own Xmas cake & pudding, too. It’s something different. If others choose to buy theirs, it really doesn’t bother me one whit, so long as everyone is happy.

Gonegirl Tue 03-Dec-19 17:12:29

Rosina of course there is nothing wrong with buying your Xmas fayre. I only started this thread to tell my tale of woe. Certainly not to judge anyone.

I enjoy making my Xmas stuff, you enjoy buying it in. That's ok.

I wasn't exactly passing out with fatigue over the stove either. And the full jars at present on my kitchen dresser give me a certain sense of satisfaction.

Minerva Tue 03-Dec-19 16:10:05

I use a wartime recipe which Mother always used but without the suet or sugar. It doesn’t get cooked until it’s in the pie and keeps well as it’s pickled in cider. Not just apples but also carrot alongside the dried fruit. Very fresh tasting and not jam like.
I collect jars all year. Not a problem in our house though I have to issue a stern warning if people take jars without asking and use them for painting or what have you.

Rosina Tue 03-Dec-19 16:07:43

Ladies, PLEASE. What is wrong with buying your mincemeat from Waitrose or M and S, and consequently not collapsing with exhaustion over the hob?
I start to shake at the thought of making everything from scratch - the end results are never as tasty as goods from the aforementioned shops, and my kitchen has taken hours to clean in the past with splatters of pastry and puddles of syrup on the floor, and a scarlet faced individual that I do not recognise, with hair on end and a lot of cake mix down her apron, reflected in the hall mirror. (That frightened the postman, I can tell you) I envy those with Domestic Goddess talents but refuse to be ashamed of buying the major food items - they are the price of my sanity, which must help the family!

Nanny41 Tue 03-Dec-19 15:51:46

Farmor15, please can have the recipe I havent done anything like this for years, I only need a very small amount as not many people eat Christmas Pudding where we live.Grateful for the recipe,thank you.

Carillion01 Tue 03-Dec-19 15:44:28

I make lots of different preserves (always in the microwave!) but I've never made my own mincemeat. I'm going to give it a go and reading this thread might use Delia's recipe???

SueDonim Tue 03-Dec-19 15:30:04

Good thing the dog didn’t eat it, Witzend. I suspect there’d have been interesting repercussions! grin

I make mincemeat parcels with filo pastry. Cut a few layers of filo pastry into three or four strips. Dollop a blob of mincmeat onto the top then fold over the edge diagonally. Keep folding down until you end up with a neat pastry triangle. Brush melted butter over the top, into the oven for ten or fifteen minutes and you’re done. You can make the parcels with anything, of course, stewed apple or other fruit.

Lucky a friend did grow her own turkeys! She had a bit of space on her farm and they grew about twenty turkeys for themselves and family & friends. One night, thieves managed to break through their security and stole the lot of them. angry

Grannysara Tue 03-Dec-19 15:08:46

Delia’s is the best! I still have a jar of last year’s and it is absolutely fine, I will use this one first. I have made another batch this year and give to a few of my friends as a Christmas gift. As Delia says once you have tried this you can’t go back to shop bought!

GrammaH Tue 03-Dec-19 15:06:59

I made mincemeat 'cigars' last year with filo pastry, they were so yummy! Definitely making more this year but afraid I'll be buying the mincemeat. Any recommendations for the best? I can't remember where last year's was from.

luluaugust Tue 03-Dec-19 15:00:44

I usually put some tinned apricots with the left over mincemeat and make a tart. I used to make up Delia's recipe but I'm afraid I just buy jars now.

Witzend Tue 03-Dec-19 12:16:53

I made Delia's last year, and very nice too, but haven't bothered this year since had quite a lot from last year - not all Delia's.

I don't think dh can tell the difference. Within 10 minutes he'd scoffed 5 of the first batch I made on Sunday. ?
In his defence they're the trad little ones though - not much more than a mouthful really.

M0nica Tue 03-Dec-19 12:10:14

Luckyfour I make my own mincemeat because several members of my family are allergic to nuts - and soya and sesame, so to be absolutely certain I make my own. It takes less than half an hour (using an uncooked mincemeat recipe).

Gonegirl Tue 03-Dec-19 11:57:44

Sorry Luckyfour but shop mincemeat is jus tnowhere near as nice as homemade.

Anyway. It's all part of enjoying the run up to Christmas, which I think is often the best bit.

I'm off to make first batch of mince pies of the season using up last year's leftover mincemeat. tchsmile

Gonegirl Tue 03-Dec-19 11:55:18

Daughter makes a pudding with pears and mincemeat. It's very nice.

LuckyFour Tue 03-Dec-19 11:55:15

Buy your mincemeat in jars. It's excellent. Who on earth wants to start making mincemeat. You'll be growing your own turkeys next!