Gransnet forums

Food

What time will your Christmas lunch/dinner be? ?

(66 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 24-Dec-19 21:50:33

We are meeting up for pre lunch bubbly for us 7 adults with Ribena for the 2 grandchildren then we are off out to a local restaurant.

Our reservation is at 1pm.

Flowerette Fri 03-Jan-20 21:45:10

12 pm so that I can get it done and dusted and enjoy the rest of the day
Love feeding the family Christmas Day but I do stress ... once we are all sitting down and it’s done , I breath a big sigh of relief lol ... with contentment ?

jannxxx Thu 26-Dec-19 12:02:08

xmas day alone my dinner was ready at 2 so i ate it, today my dinner wil be around 5,

henetha Thu 26-Dec-19 11:54:29

We ate our vegetarian roast about 1.30 in a motorhome parked on a clifftop overlooking beautiful Torbay in bright sunshine.
It was glorious.

BradfordLass72 Thu 26-Dec-19 02:29:54

We four ate about 2:30 yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it and our Taitinger.

Skweek1 Wed 25-Dec-19 23:03:15

DH hurt his leg yesterday and struggled to get downstairs today. DS and I did the meal.We planned it for 6pm; itwasactually 7.30!

Norah Wed 25-Dec-19 22:28:01

We had lunch at 1:30 were done by 2 and out walking.

BBbevan Wed 25-Dec-19 17:27:05

We sat down at 2 and finished at 4:30. A lovely long, slow lunch. And, wonder of wonders, I didn't forget anything. Not the PiBs, or the brandy butter. A lovely relaxed meal. And DDs tomorrow ??

GagaJo Wed 25-Dec-19 16:47:26

We ate at about 2.30/3. By this point, darling grandson was past being hungry and chucked his veg around, wingeing until he got a yorkshire pudding. THEN he was happy.

MaryXYX Wed 25-Dec-19 16:41:32

Our dinner started around 1:30 today. This was one of the dinners for people who would otherwise be alone, and this particular one caters for 500 guests. I went directly from morning church.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 25-Dec-19 16:13:36

Christmas Eve is the big day here, so our Christmas dinner was at 7.30 pm yesterday.

Today will be much more casual.

Daisyboots Wed 25-Dec-19 15:59:03

Our "Christmas" dinner will be in about 15 minutes. When I got up this morning DH had prepared potatoes cauliflower and sprouts so that was the veggies decided on. He was supposed to get beef and gammon out of the freezer on Monday but decided to buy steak instead. What steak it is I don't know. The word isnt in any of our PT dictionaries or any translators on Google. So I am treating it as frying steak and will flash fry it in a few minutes. The other large slice will be made into a casserole tomorrow.

Urmstongran Wed 25-Dec-19 15:57:06

I hope so to Nannan2 I still feel ropey.

lizzypopbottle Wed 25-Dec-19 15:32:34

We are still cooking! All our plans went out the window because my poor little dog, Charlie, is quite ill. We should have travelled to Bristol but he is in hospital having had surgery, poor little guy. We might be eating about 4.30pm.

MissAdventure Wed 25-Dec-19 13:16:31

I'm not sure.

I'm not hungry yet, so maybe around 4 ish. smile

It'll be my first Christmas dinner in three years.

Auntieflo Wed 25-Dec-19 13:13:09

We shall be having lunch at approx 2pm.
We were at Church this morning, and as I wasn't sure when we would be home, I cooked the turkey breast yesterday evening. So will have it cold, with lots of freshly cooked veg, and gravy, lovely.
I forgot to put the christmas pudding in the slow cooker, so we shall have trifle.
DH is ' resting his eyes' at the moment. He hasn't been really well for over a week now, and didn't sleep well last night.
Enjoy your meals everybody, Bon apetit!

Nannan2 Wed 25-Dec-19 13:12:07

Well Dublin 29,can assure im not enjoying it so far( got no sleep till after 7am with hospital trip)& ill have to return if my temp doesnt come down!) I doubt Esmeralda& urmstongran are eithersad Maybe we can have a better new yeartchsmile

Nannan2 Wed 25-Dec-19 13:01:46

Am same Terribull,recorded Queen last year to watch later,as ive watched her if its on,but never gone out of my to watch it,but realise even she wont be around forevertchsmile

Dublin29 Wed 25-Dec-19 13:00:53

@Resurgam123 & @LadyGracie will be at least 3 pm at son’s house & chaotic. He operates in a very different way to me, I end up doing veg & potato prep. Don’t mind that, but hard working in his kitchen, not enough room, didn't tell me how turkey crown was to be prepared (I usually get a boneless one piece you bung in oven from frozen) Not happy about staying overnight for 2 nights, but I don’t drive & he’s not up to the 20 odd miles back & forth due to his medical issues/disability. Love seeing my 2 Grandchildren, 11 & 15, but on Dad’s turf difficult as he’s controlling & expects everyone to have the Christmas he wants. I’m with kids in this, but little I can do in his home. Older DGS I’m very close to, but his mental health & eating disorder are very apparent. Not at all to do with his Dad & why their Mum isn’t here.??

This is one main reason I find this season so hard & other adults going on about everyone needing to have a great time. Not everyone can do this. I also have my Mam dying in a February way back as a teen, but her last Christmas was horrible, that finished me on it. Having said that, when son was a child, I did great acting so he’d enjoy it.

Ironically that’s what he’s trying to recreate, but he can’t ? Going to be a long time until sometime Boxing Day afternoon/evening, when I get back to my very small flat.

Glad some/many of you having a great time, I am envious?

Nannan2 Wed 25-Dec-19 12:57:31

Merry christmas! Had planned around 2pm but i was so ill in the night and a very high temp i had to go hospital! Turns out ive got flu so now my sons( 21& 16,never done lunch before,confused are going to have to do turkey! While they banish me from downstairs as though im diseased!tchgrin theyl just have to take instructions,and cook till its done as theres only us 3 so wont matter what time we eat tchsmile

TerriBull Wed 25-Dec-19 12:48:43

Waiting for kids to arrive will have drinks and nibbles. I will watch our dear Queen at 3, I never used to but realisation she won't be with us forever. Christmas dinner between 4 and 5 hopefully.

Crechat39 Wed 25-Dec-19 12:28:37

Christmas Eve 9.00
Christmas Day is a buffet so no-one has to get up early to start cooking.

Pittcity Wed 25-Dec-19 12:26:36

DH has got his timings wrong as is traditional. Looking at 2pm now....luckily the Queen can be paused until we're ready!

Bijou Wed 25-Dec-19 12:23:28

I am on my own so will have a turkey breast fillet with Mediterranean frozen veg about 6 p.m.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 25-Dec-19 12:23:13

Good question. Depending on how much 'vino' grin my glass holds.

Esmerelda Wed 25-Dec-19 12:20:23

I feel for you, Urmstongran as I am in a similar position, but no stomach bug just a rather painful dose of mumps. When we were little my mum always planned for Christmas lunch to be at 1.00pm ... we never managed to be sitting down at the table until 3.00pm. ???