Gransnet forums

Food

Jam or Marmalade?

(40 Posts)
midgey Fri 27-Dec-19 14:19:07

My son brought some raspberry marmalade from Austria. He has asked what is the difference between jam and marmalade. I have no idea, any knowledgeable grans know?

Chestnut Sun 29-Dec-19 17:24:18

Oooh! Just found boysenberry jam on E-Bay. Made in Exmoor! How I don't know, maybe they imported some boysenberries from the USA and grew the fruit here. That is amazing. It ain't cheap though........

Chestnut Sun 29-Dec-19 17:11:47

I love marmalade and butter on toast and also Marmalade and peanut butter! Mmm....
I'm not quite as keen on jam for some reason, except boysenberry jam which you can only get in America (typical).
I also love lemon curd (or lemon cheese which is a bit thicker).

grannypiper Sun 29-Dec-19 16:51:27

Roses lemon and lime marmalade was sent to earth by angels

nonnasusie Sun 29-Dec-19 15:50:23

Just reread my post! Arancia not Arabia!!

Fennel Sun 29-Dec-19 15:40:45

I think that's the story I got my explanation from, varian.

varian Sun 29-Dec-19 12:51:02

As a schoolgirl in Scotland I was told that Mary Queen of Scots got seasick on a voyage from France and when her maid told the cook "Marie est malade" he made a concoction from sugar and oranges which cured her. It's probably apocryphal but marmalade is very popular in Scotland.

Fennel Sun 29-Dec-19 12:07:07

As a sideline - there's a very strange jam/confiture made in NW France with milk and sugar, caramel flavoured. I never tasted it but it was quite popular where we lived.
www.meilleurduchef.com/en/recipe/confiture-de-lait.html

farview Sat 28-Dec-19 21:15:05

Haha Nortsat46..my 4 children call me Paddington..re my marmalade butties(sandwiches)

lemongrove Sat 28-Dec-19 20:47:03

Try making a bread and butter pudding with marmalade spread on the bread slices, and cream added on top.

lemongrove Sat 28-Dec-19 20:45:54

I can’t live without marmalade, any kind will do!
Roses Lime Marmalade is still sold and is very nice indeed.
Tiptree make some good ones, including no peel and orange and tangerine.Yum.

grannylyn65 Sat 28-Dec-19 19:30:37

Apricot here please

sodapop Sat 28-Dec-19 19:19:09

Steamed pudding with marmalade instead of jam. Marmalade tarts not jam.
Seems I'm definitely a citrus person.

nonnasusie Sat 28-Dec-19 19:08:02

Jam here is called marmellata. Maybe Latin? Marmalade is marmellata d' Arabia.

Nortsat46 Sat 28-Dec-19 19:00:04

farview you’ll be expecting Paddington for tea then ...

farview Sat 28-Dec-19 17:51:17

I love marmalade butties..thick butter and good marmalade on wholemeal bread..gorgeous! Dont like jam apart from apricot jam.

notanan2 Fri 27-Dec-19 18:48:51

CanadianGran I never thought of making pineapple jam but it sounds amazing (off to google...)

notanan2 Fri 27-Dec-19 18:47:30

So I was completely wrong then MawB? ?

In my defence, quince preserve gets called Jam these days AND it often has lemon juice in it!

Aw well I thought my theory sounded good..

CosyCrafter Fri 27-Dec-19 18:46:32

Marmalade definitely but only on toast unless it is in a lovely marmalade cake.
Don't fancy a marmalade sandwich ...that's just for bears.

Namsnanny Fri 27-Dec-19 18:46:31

Cherrytree … similar story but shipwreck on Devon/Cornish coast, oranges quickly spirited away and turned into preserve before the government men found it!

MawB Fri 27-Dec-19 18:42:58

As somebody has already said upthread blush

MawB Fri 27-Dec-19 18:41:32

Fennel some people thing the origin is something to do with Mary Queen of Scots’ and the phrase “Marie est malade” but actually it comes from the Portuguese word for quince

The word marmalade meant quince jam and comes into English via French and Portuguese, deriving from 'marmelo' meaning quince. Further back, the origin is Latin and Greek, from terms meaning honey-apple, which was the fruit resulting from the grafting of an apple onto a quince

notanan2 Fri 27-Dec-19 18:33:07

So apricot is jam.

notanan2 Fri 27-Dec-19 18:32:45

Jam = fruits that you have to add citrus to, like when you add lemon juice to make strawberry jam.

Marmalade doesnt need anything else added because the fruit is already citrus.

E.g. lemon and lime makes marmalade not jam.

Raspberries, currents etc need citrus. Apricots are citrusey but need additional juice (usually lemon)

Namsnanny Fri 27-Dec-19 18:30:31

40ib grannysyb!! Why so much????

Thinking about it, using just under a pound a week (which is possible for two people or in our house one greedy husband!).
You have just enough to set you up for the year, so maybe you just love marmalade!

CanadianGran Fri 27-Dec-19 18:29:09

I think marmalade refers to any preserve with citrus, but I think they are basically the same.

When we were in Mexico, there was pineapple jam available and it was DELICIOUS! I looked for some at the local grocery store to bring home, but it was not quite as good. I have since seen recipes on line and am tempted to make some when pineapples are on sale.

Grannysyb, I can't imagine making that amount of marmalade. Good for you.