Gransnet forums

Food

Which pudding should I do.

(30 Posts)
kittylester Sun 29-Dec-19 10:43:34

We are having a few neighbours round for supper at the weekend.

There is a bit of an ad hoc thing going that we get together around new year and have a casual meal (using any overbought food) and catch up.

I'm doing Cottage Pie and lots of veg - dh's request. For pudding I was going to do cherries roasted in masala and served hot on good vanilla icecream. Dh has suggested baked apples which would use up the left over mincemeat and brandy butter. I feel it would be a bit stodgy after Cottage pie.

What do you think? Xx

Calpurnia Mon 30-Dec-19 07:13:46

If you hear knocking on the back door - that will be me with a bowl and spoon - either one please!

kittylester Mon 30-Dec-19 07:08:10

fennel, I imagine that Sainsbury's will have fresh ones but I have used frozen, tinned or cherries in jars.

NotTooOld Sun 29-Dec-19 22:36:52

I'd do the one you are happiest with as neither of them sound stodgy to me.

Auntieflo Sun 29-Dec-19 22:13:43

Another vote here for the cherries and ice cream.
I just love the combination of hot fruit, with cold ice cream.
If some don't like cherries, the ice cream would slide down nicely.
( and I will be in the queue for the left over cherries).
Enjoy your supper.

Fennel Sun 29-Dec-19 21:55:59

Kitty - where are you going to get cherries at this time of the year?

Bobbysgirl19 Sun 29-Dec-19 21:34:18

Keep it simple - I'd do the cherries they sound delicious!

Urmstongran Sun 29-Dec-19 20:33:41

Good idea toocornergran about the ice cream sans cherries as the alternative.

I get the point kitty was making. It is supposed to be a simple meal. The other neighbours might feel they need to up their game next year when it’s their turn if it’s like an episode of ‘Come Dine With Me’ this weekend.

jacq10 Sun 29-Dec-19 20:17:05

I do a mincemeat flan with a lattice pastry top which makes it lighter. I do like the sound of the cherries so would do that as well and both could be served with the ice cream.

cornergran Sun 29-Dec-19 20:15:41

I’d settle for the cherries I think. If anyone really doesn’t like them they can have ice cream. I’m far too lazy to cook two different puds.

grannyactivist Sun 29-Dec-19 20:10:57

The Wonderful Man would most definitely go for the apples and mincemeat, whereas I'd leap at the offer of cherries. So not really any help at all from me I'm afraid, but whatever you serve I'm sure it'll be delicious. smile

Callistemon Sun 29-Dec-19 20:06:15

I would do both.
Whenever we had baked apples I did several and they would last DH and me a few days.
Well, that was when we had our apple tree sad

I love cherries but some people are very allergic to them.

Urmstongran Sun 29-Dec-19 19:49:13

I’d do the cherries - they sound gorgeous kittylester esp on good ice cream.

Instead of a second pud for a choice why not just put a plate with some individual wrapped chocolate on it - something like the mini bars of Green & Blacks? No effort so you haven’t gone OTT but a taste of something sweet for any non-cherry neighbours!

kittylester Sun 29-Dec-19 19:27:23

I love the cherries nortsat46. As we will be 7 and the table has 8 chairs there is a space so you would be very welcome!

Nortsat46 Sun 29-Dec-19 18:33:37

Cherries and vanilla ice cream.

I would like to come please and am prepared to masquerade as one of your neighbours ...?

Fennel Sun 29-Dec-19 16:14:47

Baked apples are my favourite dessert.
But I don't know your neighbours
Concentrate on the company rather than the food, by the sound of it.

Daddima Sun 29-Dec-19 15:33:46

Another vote for both from me, but the apples and mincemeat will keep, so it’s cherries and ice cream if you only want one.

BBbevan Sun 29-Dec-19 15:29:23

I would do both. Both sound gorgeous.

Pudding123 Sun 29-Dec-19 15:26:43

I have got a fab recipe for Tiramisu if anyone wants it,it's well worth the zillion or so calories once a year!

Hetty58 Sun 29-Dec-19 14:09:26

If you do both, then anyone who's not a fan of mincemeat or cherries has a choice. (I'd have both, if allowed). My late husband just couldn't stand cherries. When he was ill as a child, the medicine was cherry flavoured.

kittylester Sun 29-Dec-19 14:03:07

I had thought about both but our neighbours suppers are just very simple and about meeting up not the food!

Calendargirl Sun 29-Dec-19 12:48:03

I was also going to say do both. Always nice to have a choice, or a bit of both!

sarahellenwhitney Sun 29-Dec-19 12:44:52

Is it too much work for you to prepare both? Giving your guests a choice or even having a taste of both? That's if they have room after the first course for anything else and there will be nothing in these choices that if unused can't go back in the fridge or freezer for you to use up on another day.?

Squiffy Sun 29-Dec-19 12:08:11

You could make Mincemeat (and brandy) Ice Cream. Simply mash the mincemeat into the ice cream and freeze!

Witzend Sun 29-Dec-19 11:02:46

You could use up the mincemeat another time, in an apple and mincemeat crumble. That’s the destination for my leftover mincemeat - it’s delish.

The cherries thing sounds v nice!

JackyB Sun 29-Dec-19 10:57:51

Both sound good to me. Perhaps you could leave a gap between courses to make a bit more room for the apples. Savour another glass of wine or play a game.