Gransnet forums

Food

Meatless cottage pie

(17 Posts)
Alexa Thu 02-Jan-20 11:49:13

My daughter in law's recipe . Recommended.

mung beans, green lentils, onions, red wine, veg Oxo , pepper, Maris Pipers creamed with oil.

The consistency of the meaty layer was like old fashioned mince. I have not asked the proportions but I estimate a good lot of onion fried until transparent.

Always on the look out for easy methods I shall try to get tinned mung beans and tinned green lentils.And not being much of a wine drinker I will use the small bottles of red, about 6 fluid ounces in each bottle.

Greenfinch Thu 02-Jan-20 12:23:43

That sounds good Alexa.I look forward to trying it out.
I do the traditional one using quorn instead of mince.The family all prefer it.

Alexa Thu 02-Jan-20 12:34:47

I just rang my son and daughter in law and they recommend NIT to use tinned beans or lentil they say however much you rinse the tinned products you never get rid of the flavour of the brine they are packed in.

So I will get dried products. D in law says mung beans are very small, and can be cooked like red lentils without
pre-soaking. They encourage me to soak beans lentils over night . Their advice is soaked beans and lentils don't have to be used straight away and can go in the fridge for a day.

I have used Quorn, Greenfinch, and I honestly don't like it much neither does the family. D in law's lentil/bean mix wsas really excellent. BTW she does not recommend chick peas for it as they don't have the right consistency.

Septimia Thu 02-Jan-20 12:48:20

Puy lentils are nice, they have a nutty flavour.

I sometimes make a lentil curry (as it is called in my mum's old cookbook). I always used red lentils until I discovered the others.

MissAdventure Thu 02-Jan-20 13:25:27

I use puy lentils too, because they keep a nice texture.

Alexa Thu 02-Jan-20 16:46:46

I'll try puy lentils and am about to put in an order to Tesco.

MissAdventure Thu 02-Jan-20 16:50:40

Hope you like them, Alexa smile

welbeck Thu 02-Jan-20 16:53:11

anyone tried the new greggs vegan steak bake yet ?

suzied Thu 02-Jan-20 16:56:12

Puy lentils in a herby tomato sauce, mushrooms, a teaspoon of marmite in the sauce with a sweet potato and carrot topping. Bushel sprouts or steamed cabbage on the side. Yum.

suzied Thu 02-Jan-20 16:56:32

Bushel sprouts.?

Alexa Thu 02-Jan-20 17:06:20

Suzied, are there onions in that recipe too?

Fennel Thu 02-Jan-20 17:12:11

I used to make a similar veg dish, with red lentils and as you say lots of softened onions. The recipe said red wine but I used veg stock + tomato puree.
Aubergines are a good addition too. You need to pre-cook them.
I stopped making this when I had digestive problems - too much gas!

BradfordLass72 Fri 03-Jan-20 01:03:36

One of our long-time family favourites is from "Laurel's Kitchen".
Tamale Pie, easily adaptable to Vegan too.

www.copymethat.com/r/VkII0Av/laurels-kitchen-vegetarian-tamale-pie-re/

absent Fri 03-Jan-20 06:19:10

I think that it is called shepherdess pie. I'm not wholly sure why but perhaps the idea is that prissy girlies don't eat beef (cottage) or lamb (shepherds). Also, the recipe titles rarely have apostrophes, so I wonder if they were ever made with real cottages and shepherds – probably not.

Daisymae Fri 03-Jan-20 09:08:32

I use the lentils in a packet, they are not dried so you can use them without soaking. I find them easier to use as you don't have to plan. I use a similar recipe but with canned tomatoes instead of the beans. Yours sounds good.

Alexa Fri 03-Jan-20 13:19:01

Daisymae, please let me know the brand of lentils in a packet. The pictures of some products in the Tesco website are not clear whether they are tins or packets. And also, are these green lentils in the packet?

maddyone Fri 03-Jan-20 13:22:28

We always use soya for our cottage/shepherds pie.