Gransnet forums

Food

Your recipes, please!

(15 Posts)
phoenix Sat 04-Jan-20 16:45:50

Hello all,

I have some left over Stilton, tender stem broccoli, and single cream, all of which need using up.

We are very partial to homemade soup ( "Random Vegetable" appears often!) and thought I would make Stilton & broccoli.

So many different recipes on line, so thought I would ask the wise ones!

Thanks in advance.

Beechnut Sat 04-Jan-20 16:58:24

I’m making that right now phoenix and am using the one at the top of google. I think it’s a good food one. I’ll check!

Beechnut Sat 04-Jan-20 17:01:02

Yep. BBC good food one. Just waiting for DD to arrive and help me yut it ?

Beechnut Sat 04-Jan-20 17:01:50

Haven’t made it before so can’t recommend.

Elegran Sat 04-Jan-20 17:19:20

I make this up as I go along, quantities depending on how much of each ingredient is there to be used up. It comes out great each time. Different, but great.

I have also frozen the ends/outsides of bits of stilton one at a time as they were left over, and, when there was enough collected, used them with other veg in "???? and stilton soup".

phoenix Sat 04-Jan-20 17:22:46

Thanks to all!

Would you put onion/garlic in it?

phoenix Sat 04-Jan-20 17:29:56

Just looked at the recipe, don't have any celery, not worth buying for just one stem as Mr P isn't a fan.

Don't have leeks either, but could get some.

Of course, got distracted by another recipe, sauteed broccoli, mushrooms and stilton...........

Elegran Sat 04-Jan-20 17:40:14

Do you HAVE onions and/or garlic? If so, put them in. If not, don't. Same with a couple of carrots ot parsnips. Not all of them at once, though, or you'll be back to Random Veg soup.

Cauliflower cheese with a couple of parsnips is good. (going (off topic again)

phoenix Sat 04-Jan-20 21:03:11

Yep, got onions and garlic! Also carrots, but need those for something else.

Will look at the recipe mentioned earlier, then probably busk it!

BradfordLass72 Sun 05-Jan-20 07:21:19

I'd just make a very light white sauce (cornflour, not the roux version) with milk and some of the cream, gently melt the Stilton in it and dip the steamed broc florets into it like fondue - yummy with freshly milled black pepper.

cavewoman Sun 05-Jan-20 07:33:10

You have all the ingredients for a delicious Christmas Quiche.

Marelli Sun 05-Jan-20 08:11:01

I seem to have a lot of carrots left. Anyone got a good recipe for carrot and coriander soup, please?

NfkDumpling Sun 05-Jan-20 08:13:20

Sounds like a quiche to me too. Stilton and broccoli is my favourite.

Happygirl79 Thu 27-Feb-20 11:29:01

Just type your fridge ingredients in google and you will come up with a variety of recipes!

Auntieflo Thu 27-Feb-20 15:51:17

All this talk of soup made me think I would like a butternut squash one, so while in Tesco went on a search.
Nothing to be seen, so asked a member of staff.
Oh, we haven't had any for three weeks, we are not stocking them now!!! ?
I could get one if I trudge miles and miles to another store, no.

This branch was almost empty of customers when we visited between 12-1pm. I think that the recently opened ALDI , and LIDL , just a bit further on, is hurting them.