Gransnet forums

Food

Your best Desserts.

(94 Posts)
Jzpap Sun 05-Jan-20 19:53:37

Every Sunday I cook a roast dinner for my family, including grandchildren age range 2-14. I always do a different pudding which goes down very well but I’ve set the bar high and it’s getting harder to find something extra special. Today I made a Rolo tart and also an Eton Mess. Please can you suggest some unusual scrummy desserts that have become your favourite recipes. If they can be prepared the day before it would really help!! Thank you

Marydoll Mon 06-Jan-20 07:41:45

Mars Bar Mousse
This has been a family favourite since I saw it in the Sunday times over thirty years ago. The trick is to make it the day before and take it out of the fridge at the last minute.

Mars Bar Mousse- serves 4-6

1 “Biggest ever” Mars Bar
(Two regular size?)
50g ( 2oz) dark chocolate
1 dessertspoon water
3 medium eggs*

*Slice the Mars Bar and melt gently with chocolate and water, until you have a smooth mixture.
Separate the yolks of the eggs and beat the whites to form stiff peaks.
Allow the chocolate to cool a little before adding the yolks.
Beat with a wooden spoon, then fold in the egg whites, incorporating them well into the mixture.
Pour into individual glasses.
Put into fridge (preferably overnight) to set.
Serve with biscuits such as langue de chats and a dollop of whipped cream.

NannyJan53 Mon 06-Jan-20 08:08:32

That sounds lovely Marydoll , I have made a note of it smile. Thank you.

My Mum often makes this and is a firm favourite with the family

Strawberry and White Chocolate Cheesecake.

125g Shortbread biscuits - crushed
50g unsalted Butter

225 g Strawberries - chopped
250g White chocolate
300g Full fat Cream cheese
200g Fromage Frais or Crème Fraiche (this gives a softer
topping) so Fromage Frais is recommended.

Melt butter into crushed biscuits, mix together and put in base of 8 inch tin. Then into fridge

Melt the chocolate and cool
Beat together Fromage Frais and cream cheese until smooth and thick. Add strawberries and chocolate. Mix together.
Put on base and chill for 4- 6 hours or overnight.

shysal Mon 06-Jan-20 10:14:40

My family's favourite is a double decker raspberry pavlova drizzled with raspberry coulis and lemon curd as well as the whole raspberries.
If you want a hot pudding self-saucing ones are easy, lots of recipes on line including chocolate and sticky toffee.

Coconut Mon 06-Jan-20 10:27:59

Pinterest has many lovely dessert ideas. I used to do individual trifles in glasses and when I put the jelly in, I’d wedge the glasses tilted on their side so that the jelly set at an angle .... it always baffled the GC ! Nanny’s magic trifle !

NotSpaghetti Mon 06-Jan-20 10:29:25

Melted Mars bar over ice cream makes a surprisingly good hot sauce!
Meringue too if you can bear the sugar rush!

alig99 Mon 06-Jan-20 10:33:46

Lovely lemon self saucing pudding serve hot or cold. Recipe Delia. Also lemon pudding, essentially grated rind of 2 lemons juice of 1.5 lemons mixed into a can of condensed milk and a 200ml of double cream. Either pour into a sponge flan base (homemade or bought) leave to set or just leave out the flan and put in serving glasses to set.

Gaunt47 Mon 06-Jan-20 10:34:28

Good quality lemon sorbet with gin poured over it. Adults only!

dizzygran Mon 06-Jan-20 10:35:01

Nigella's white chocolate cheese cake - delicious and easy to make.

nanamac77 Mon 06-Jan-20 10:35:24

Don't think anyone has mentioned Summer Pudding. In spite of it's name it can be made at any time of the year - can use fresh or frozen fruit and vary the fruits to suit, as long as some are juicy enough to soak the bread. Very easy and very delicious .

grannyscott Mon 06-Jan-20 10:36:02

Baked Alaska always looks spectacular . And is so easy.

icanhandthemback Mon 06-Jan-20 10:39:07

When our 5 hungry kids were young and we were significantly poorer we used to try to find puddings which were cheap. They loved Ice-cream with home made chocolate sauce which almost set to toffee when it hit the ice-cream. I used to buy 3 value sponges, tip a tin of pineapple over them, stick them in the oven, and serve it with custard. Sometimes I used tinned peaches and the kids loved them.
We don't have puddings much now but at Christmas a Banoffee Pie is always a hit. The condensed milk makes such a lovely toffee flavour. You only need a small amount too.

Callistemon Mon 06-Jan-20 10:42:01

Oh yes, Summer Pudding, a favourite in this house.

icanhandthemback Mon 06-Jan-20 10:42:03

Other hits are those sponge flan cases with green and red apple slices spiralled around and covered with Jello. The same flan cases are perfect for a lemon meringue pie too. In both cases you just need to brush some hot butter on the base before filling it so it doesn't go soggy.

LadyO Mon 06-Jan-20 11:05:14

My favourite make ahead pudding recipe:
Raspberry and Cinnamon Torte served with thick Greek yoghurt and a raspberry sauce (punnet of raspberries/1 tbsp lemon juice and 1 tbsp icing sugar, blended and sieved)
I got it from a food magazine years ago, but this online one (link attached) has same torte ingredients. Enjoy!
greencuisine.co.uk/recipe_info.php?recipe_id=118

rowanflower0 Mon 06-Jan-20 11:23:48

Whenever I am asked to take desert anywhere, they always request my pavlova - and in winter I replace fresh fruit with brandy-soaked sultanas, chopped apricots, figs and dates.
This Christmas I decided to make a meringue roulade instead, it was quicker in the oven, soft rather than crisp, but no trouble to achieve a good roll. I made mine with lemon curd and raspberries and it was a great hit.

Kartush Mon 06-Jan-20 11:27:59

Tiramisu, always a winner

Craftycat Mon 06-Jan-20 11:30:11

Lemon tart is always a favourite as is Chocolate tart.
But you can't beat a good sticky toffee pudding!!

shysal Mon 06-Jan-20 11:36:45

When I had some unripe nectarines I asked Gransnetters for ideas. One that came up was Peach Cobbler, which I have also made with blackberies, raspberries, or mixed frozen fruit. It is very quick and easy but is delicious. Sorry about the American measurements, but Google will convert them for you.
www.myrecipes.com/recipe/easy-peach-cobbler

Anrol Mon 06-Jan-20 11:42:40

There are some lovely ideas for puds here.

My two specials are:
Pear tarte tartin (made with ready made pastry)

Ginger cake (shop bought) & easy caramel sauce

Always go down a storm.

Joelise Mon 06-Jan-20 11:59:13

My absolute favourites are pecan pie and sticky toffee pudding, a new favourite, which I made a few times over Christmas and New Year , is Jamie Oliver’s “ Bonkas bread and butter Panettone pie “ delicious , I recommend it !

Hatpev Mon 06-Jan-20 12:07:09

I have been searching for this recipe on and off for some time. Many thanks

Alypoole Mon 06-Jan-20 12:09:30

Mary Berry’s Easy Lemon Meringue is a firm favourite here. Also Cathy’s Magic Lemon pudding. Don’t know who Cathy is though?
Apricot and Almond flan.

Newatthis Mon 06-Jan-20 12:09:42

Nigella's Nutella cheesecake. Even for a non cheesecake/chocolate fan, this is truly scrumptious. The recipe I am sure will be online.

Hatpev Mon 06-Jan-20 12:09:57

M0nica please can you give us quantities for breadcrumbs etc?

Kryptonite Mon 06-Jan-20 12:14:49

Your life sounds sweet enough already. Give 'em apples!