Gransnet forums

Food

Your best Desserts.

(94 Posts)
Jzpap Sun 05-Jan-20 19:53:37

Every Sunday I cook a roast dinner for my family, including grandchildren age range 2-14. I always do a different pudding which goes down very well but I’ve set the bar high and it’s getting harder to find something extra special. Today I made a Rolo tart and also an Eton Mess. Please can you suggest some unusual scrummy desserts that have become your favourite recipes. If they can be prepared the day before it would really help!! Thank you

Gandalf Mon 06-Jan-20 20:11:51

Lemon meringue ice cream.
A pint of Greek yoghurt and a jar of lemon curd. Churn in an ice cream maker until frozen. Crumble in a couple of meringue nests then freeze until solid.

Callistemon Mon 06-Jan-20 20:13:47

Yum

I,was served Lemon Eton Mess by someone at Christmas, she said it was extremely easy and it was delicious.

It was whipped cream, broken meringue nests and good lemon curd.

Callistemon Mon 06-Jan-20 20:15:12

Are icecream makers good Gandalf?
I'd like one but DH keeps saying 'not another kitchen gadget - where will you put it?'

grannybuy Mon 06-Jan-20 20:41:21

Nigella's clementine cake, served with her coffee ice cream - you can easily change the flavour from coffee to something else. I also make a cheesecake using a jelly as the 'setting agent'. Any flavour can be used, and fruit added. I like lime and white chocolate, with the base made of amaretto biscuits.
Another favourite is pineapple and coconut upside down cake. A great addition to a crumble topping is chopped white chocolate!

Scentia Mon 06-Jan-20 22:21:58

Caramel & Orange trifle, my Nan used to make this in the 60’s so not sure if everything is still available, but it goes like this:

Chocolate Swiss rolls sliced and in the bottom of trifle bowl, cover with a little alcohol (it was orange flavoured, is it Tia Maria?) make a caramel blancmange then top with whipped cream. Decorate with slices of fresh orange and grated caramac chocolate bar.

I remember it being the most divine pudding ever, and we got to taste alcohol at a young age too!!!

Solonge Mon 06-Jan-20 22:33:21

Simple ones are Lemon Syllabub or a version made with Mango and Cardamon...you can find them online. They take minutes to make but you can put them in individual glasses and make them very pretty. Another favourite is boozy Peach Crème Brulee, a basic Crème Brulee with a bottom layer of Peaches in Peach Brandy...can be adapted by changing the fruits. Final one, a Cranachan, basically oats, Scotch, honey and raspberries. All quick to make and impressive to serve

Owlfoot Mon 06-Jan-20 22:42:29

Whip a tub of cream (I usually use Emlea double cream), stir in a box of crushed meringue nests and stir in a jar of jam of your preferred flavour. Spoon into a 2lb loaf tin (lined with clingfilm) and freeze for a minimum of 4 hours. Take out 5 minutes before required and serve slices decorated with real fruit if wished,

GreenGran78 Tue 07-Jan-20 02:07:47

Calistemon. Left over hot cross buns? Never heard of them!
Many of these desserts sound really yummy, but I haven’t baked since my DH died, four years ago. He had very simple tastes, and loved apple pie, coconut pyramids and jam sponges.
Now living alone, rarely entertaining (we mainly eat out, as a family) and watching my weight, I avoid baking. Being ‘forced’ to eat the whole cake or dessert isn’t good for me.

Namsnanny Tue 07-Jan-20 03:56:23

Oh my this thread is going to on and on grin

BradfordLass72 Tue 07-Jan-20 04:44:27

This week I am catering for a gluten free, sugar free and dairy free child who loves dessert.
I have to be inventive but I do understand that today's offering may not be to everyone's taste. smile although easily adaptable for those with no special dietary needs.

Finely chop fresh strawberries (any soft fruit might do)
Sweeten with a little sugar substitute and simmer a few minutes until just soft. Allow to cool.

Sprinkle 2-3 teaspoons of gelatine onto almond milk (if you are not dairy free, use ordinary milk and cream) warm gently for a few moments, whisk to melt gelatine.
Combine with strawb mixture. Pour into dishes, put in fridge.

Melt sugar free chocolate and stir in gluten-free cornflakes or rice krispies. Spread onto non-stick foil or a greased tray in a thin layer (to be crumbled onto the top of the dessert when set.

Decorate the top of the dessert with fresh blueberries and the chocolate cornflakes.

Healthy, yummy and although it sounds fiddly, I managed it with my wonky eyes so for anyone who can actually see, it should be a piece of (gluten free, sugar free) cake.

BradfordLass72 Tue 07-Jan-20 05:07:03

Everything here is yummy but so much sugar!

Is it any wonder the OP of the thread bemoaning sugar consumption was shocked? grin

Callistemon Tue 07-Jan-20 09:50:43

I don't use sugar in Summer Pudding and very little in an apple crumble (none in the fruit).

Unless you're going to eat the whole lot, the sugar content of one portion may be reasonable.
We don't eat chocolatey desserts at all.

I'd rather go without than use artificial sweeteners.

Callistemon Tue 07-Jan-20 09:52:52

I would never give a sugar substitute to a child but I know my DGD have drinks with artificial sweeteners sometimes (not on my watch!).

All my DC are very slim.

Bathsheba Tue 07-Jan-20 10:11:13

I have a wonderful cookbook called "Best Ever Desserts", and one of my fave's in there is Thai Fried Bananas.

Unfortunately, the page got damaged at some point in the past and I can no longer read the amounts on three of the ingredients sad. However, I'm reasonably confident the amounts below are accurate.

1. Heat 1.5oz butter in a large pan or wok and fry 4 large, slightly under-ripe bananas (I usually slice them in half and again lengthways), until lightly golden.
2. Meanwhile, dry fry a couple of tbsps of desiccated coconut in a small frying pan until lightly browned, and reserve.
3. Stir about 60g of soft light brown sugar into the pan with the bananas, add around 60ml of lime juice and cook, stirring until dissolved. (I usually remove the bananas for this stage and keep warm).
4. Arrange bananas in dishes (1 banana/4 pieces per person), pour over the caramelised sauce, and sprinkle with the coconut. Serve with thick Greek style yoghurt.

Tip: you can decorate with thinly sliced fresh lime if you have like.

Bathsheba Tue 07-Jan-20 10:11:52

Er, should read "if you like" at the end blush

barbaraellen Tue 07-Jan-20 22:01:21

Tiramisu is a great recipe to make the day before as this improves the flavours . I used a Gino DiCampo recipe but used Cointeau and orange yest for a more orangey coffee flavour. I also grated some chocolate orange on the top.

Evie64 Sun 12-Jan-20 01:29:20

Sherry trifle every time. Yum wink

Fleurpink Sun 12-Jan-20 20:43:10

Tiramisu is a great recipe to make the day before as this improves the flavours . I grated some chocolate orange on the top.