Gransnet forums

Food

Odd textured chicken

(45 Posts)
H1954 Fri 17-Jan-20 18:37:51

I only eat chicken breast and we do have it quite often. We bulk buy from a local butcher and have never had a problem. Last night we had a chicken breast each, when I cut into mine it had a very close texture, was very rubbery and difficult to chew. This wasn't only a small area of the breast, probably about a third, the rest was ok and my OH was fine. The affected part was very slightly darker n colour but not the dark colour like when the meat is bruised. Any ideas anyone?

H1954 Fri 17-Jan-20 18:39:47

Oops, it WAS only a small area!!!! By the way, I do eat other meats but don't eat any other bit if chicken but the breast!

M0nica Fri 17-Jan-20 18:43:45

Freezer burn?

Alishka Fri 17-Jan-20 22:41:37

I was thinking freezer burn too.

notanan2 Fri 17-Jan-20 23:05:02

I read this title as "odd textured children" grin
Was imagining complaints that kids these days aren't as smooth skinned as they used to be grin

ForestsLakesandMountains Fri 17-Jan-20 23:08:10

I dont know but I have found dark long strands in chicken breast that I suspected may be worms. I say this because I bought some white fish once that was full of long worms and thats what it looked like

H1954 Sat 18-Jan-20 08:04:01

Many thanks GNetters, it was not freezer burn, I've seen and tasted that before and there was no evidence of worms either; I've seen those in fish too.

So, I'm still at a loss about this particular bit of breast. I shall mention it to the butcher, purely on an advisory point, I don't see the point in complaining but think he should know, don't you?

Yehbutnobut Sat 18-Jan-20 08:05:38

Breast cancer

NotSpaghetti Sat 18-Jan-20 11:47:55

Yes. Would definitely mention it.

Alishka Sat 18-Jan-20 13:53:03

@*yehbutnobut*grin

love0c Sat 18-Jan-20 17:09:29

Occasionally we have had a chicken breast that has very close meat and not been very tender. I feel sick at the thought that it may have had breast cancer!

NotSpaghetti Sat 18-Jan-20 18:17:50

Have googled this. I think it must be “deep pectoral myopathy” - it seems to be green before it’s cooked and brown with a greenish tinge after cooking.

Alishka Sat 18-Jan-20 18:28:09

Let us know what your butcher said, will you, OP?

The fish with worms, tho....please pass the brain bleach, someoneshock

EllanVannin Sat 18-Jan-20 18:36:47

It would have gone straight in the bin with me----bin-it is my middle name. I'd have felt safer eating bread and jam !

It disgusts me the quality of our food these days. It's because it's so mass-produced that it's either rotten or tasteless altogether. Goodness knows what's pumped into the animals or what's in their feed to make them fatter.

love0c Sat 18-Jan-20 18:46:05

It is called 'woody chicken'. Safe to eat. This definitely describes the one we once had. Same normal colour raw and when cooked.

M0nica Sat 18-Jan-20 19:13:14

EllenVannin Buy good quality organic chicken from a butcher or farm shop. Yes, it is expensive but eat less.

I have replaced chicken breasts, usually far too much for me to eat, with high quality boned chicken legs. The flavour is delicious and it is tasty enough to give a full chicken flavour to the raft of vegetables I usually cook with it.

So much better for the environment, the climate and the health of those who eat it.

NotSpaghetti Sun 19-Jan-20 16:48:26

love0c - the OP said it was a darker meat. Not “same normal colour”.

love0c Sun 19-Jan-20 17:11:17

I was referring to the one I had. I did make that clear in my post. This was in case anyone had bought one with my description.

Fennel Sun 19-Jan-20 17:19:58

We're Jewish, and there are strict laws about meat. I once bought a (raw) kosher chicken and some of the flesh seemed to be a dark colour. I took it to our Rabbi and he said not to worry because the meat of very young chickens, especially near the bones, can be a dark colour.

love0c Sun 19-Jan-20 17:26:58

When we go to Greece, Majorca, mainland Spain etc we eat chicken, pork and lamb and always reall enjoy the tender meats and the flavour is second to none. tastes like I remember when I was young. I do think 'our meat' is just not the same anymore. I have bought from farm shops and still do not think they are as nice. Not sure why?

phoenix Sun 19-Jan-20 17:27:59

Chicken thighs (not legs/drumsticks) are often bought here.

Yes, we do buy breasts, but for some dishes thighs on the bone or thigh meat off the bone is so much better!

H1954 why do you only buy & eat chicken breast meat?

Fennel Sun 19-Jan-20 18:04:08

I agree phoenix
Chicken thigh meat is darker than breast and drumsticks, and more tasty.

phoenix Sun 19-Jan-20 18:10:46

Fennel there are a few recipes that I do from time to time that just wouldn't work with chicken breasts, similarly there are others where it is the only option (my mini roast, chicken & chipolata wrapped in bacon, for example).

Right meat for the right dish!

Fennel Sun 19-Jan-20 18:48:19

The chickens we buy nowadays are nothing like chickens raised in a natural situation.
We kept a small number of chickens, also other kinds of poultry, for 16 years. Free range as much as possible bearing in mind the threat from foxes etc.
We used most of them 'for the pot'. But you couldn't use them for these recipes - they were tough and 'gamey'.
Either soup, casserole or coq au vin after overnight marinating.

M0nica Sun 19-Jan-20 18:55:17

Phoenix chicken drumsticks. You are right, I am wrong. I actually used boned chicken thighs.
Quite sufficient for one, if you want to reduce your meat consumption. We had a pigeon breasts casseroled for supper. Just one breast per person instead of two but lots of chestnusts, onion, a bacon rasher chopped finely and port and beef stock and a long slow cook and, though I say it myself, it was so tasty.