Gransnet forums

Food

Food in the fridge

(35 Posts)
Lilypops Tue 21-Jan-20 08:11:37

What do you all keep in your fridge as a go to snack or meal, I have a freezer full of stuff that would need defrosting before I could cook it but I want to have food in the fridge that's ready to eat but won't go off, I have the usual cheese, eggs and sometimes cold meats, Any suggestions please,

SpringyChicken Tue 21-Jan-20 23:20:28

That sounds like a good selection of food for light meals, Lilypops. I try not to snack between meals - always remember, people who are pickers wear bigger knickers.

Lilypops Tue 21-Jan-20 23:33:52

It's not so much for snacking Springy , more for light lunches as we have a main meal in the evening, I just needed some inspiration as we seem to be in a bit of a rut having the same old same old every day , Actually I wear big girl knickers anyway , I find them more comfy than little ones that roll down or cut in so I am ok !!?

annep1 Wed 22-Jan-20 06:51:00

I know what you mean Lilypops. Lunch can be a bit boring especially if you don't want to waste time preparing it. We invariably have eggs or soup or something on toast.

M0nica Wed 22-Jan-20 07:26:24

I plan meals in advance, so unless there is a change in plans, I rarely would look in the fridge for lunch.

In my freezer I havebread, bread rolls, cold meat, sausages etc etc and in the larder a range oftinned food: soup, baked beans, tinned fish and ratatouille and tomatoes. The fridge hardly features in inpromptu meals.

I have just looked at what I have on the list for this week and next. We will have home-made soup on 4 days (I have a soup maker), chappati and vegetable curry, home made pizza based on a round pitta with salad, fish cake and grilled tomatoes, baked potato with cheese and colslaw or a tin of ratatouille, stuffed peppers or mushrooms with salad.

annep1 Wed 22-Jan-20 10:36:52

Those would be evening meals for me Monica. Too much for lunch. But tasty. I rarely plan in advance. I prefer to see what I feel like eating on the day.

Charleygirl5 Wed 22-Jan-20 10:42:38

I agree annepl if I had one of those items for lunch I would not manage an evening meal and I prefer at present to have my main meal in the evening.

annep1 Wed 22-Jan-20 10:54:05

I agree. I have porridge with blueberries and yoghurt for breakfast, plus sometimes a slice of toast. Not very hungry at lunchtime.

annodomini Wed 22-Jan-20 11:50:39

Things on toast. Favourite is garlic mushrooms. As I'm lazy, I use garlic puree when I sauté the mushrooms, usually in butter. I use my mini chopper to make instant smoked salmon paté with soft cheese and have it with crispbreads or toast. I do the same with canned tuna.

annep1 Wed 22-Jan-20 12:12:46

Good suggestions annodomini. Mashed avocado is nice. garlic puree on my shopping list!