Gransnet forums

Food

Adding a little extra something.

(43 Posts)
NanKate Fri 21-Feb-20 14:08:49

Last night I was listening to a Local Radio call in programme. The topic was ‘what do you add to your food or drink to give it that extra something’.

Examples
Worcestershire Sauce on cheese on toast.
A sprinkling of pepper on strawberries

My suggestion would be mint in cold water with ice on a hot summer’s day.

Over to you.

JackyB Sun 23-Feb-20 11:06:55

I use vegetable stock powder instead of salt. Particularly good in eggs for scrambled eggs, omelettes and quiches, also use it in stews and when cooking pasta.

henetha Sun 23-Feb-20 10:51:41

I also add chilli powder to everything, BlueSapphire

curvygran950 Sun 23-Feb-20 10:14:40

My eldest son likes marmite on croissants- sacrilege!

Maggiemaybe Sun 23-Feb-20 09:34:09

My DH has just read a recommendation for Marmite and marmalade on toast. Can't say I fancy it myself, but I'll try anything once!

curvygran950 Sun 23-Feb-20 08:49:24

Marmite on the bread layer of french toast ; ‘eggy bread ‘ as my family call it!

May7 Sun 23-Feb-20 08:09:56

Liz46
It is a lovely meal isnt it and apart from Worcestershire sauce which I also add it's the right recipe really.If you dont have any meat to put in (and many people didnt years ago) it was called blind scouse

Liz46 Sun 23-Feb-20 07:55:06

I made a pan of scouse the other day and my OH said it was the tastiest meal he had had for weeks. My version: Fry chopped onion and chopped beef, add cornflour in water, oxo cube, tomato purée, small dash of Worcester sauce, tiny sprinkle of mixed herbs, chopped carrot, ground pepper and finally chopped potatoes. Simmer and 20 minutes before eating, make dumplings (suet and SR flour) and add to pan. I was born in Liverpool but have probably deviated from the accepted Liverpool version.

NanKate Sun 23-Feb-20 07:14:11

Thanks BradfordLass for the update on Scouse, my sort of food. I agree the cakes look sick making ?

BradfordLass73 Sat 22-Feb-20 19:59:02

This time, something should be taken away. They've added far, FAR too much.

Does anyone, seriously, eat this amount of buttercream on a cupcake?

It looks absolutely revolting.

NanKate Scouse is a sort of lamb or beef stew with vegetables. Dozens of recipes according to where you live. Mum always made Scouse with lamb left over from Sunday dinner and we ate it with her home-made bread and butter. Yummy.

Far nice than those cupcakes grin

Nortsat46 Sat 22-Feb-20 11:18:59

A splash of red or white wine to many of our suppers or a squeeze of lemon juice ...

Maggiemaybe Sat 22-Feb-20 09:11:45

Port or fizz replacing the cold water in jellies for adults. And a sprinkling of sugar on fresh tomatoes as well as in tinned. Knorr Aromat savoury salt wherever you’d use salt. Geo Watkins mushroom sauce in meaty dishes, and anchovy sauce in fish ones.

travelsafar Sat 22-Feb-20 09:04:57

Lots of freshly milled black pepper on beans on toast.

Bathsheba Sat 22-Feb-20 09:02:00

Oxtail cup-a-soup, made with half the amount of water stated, stirred into the mince for a cottage pie.

May7 Sat 22-Feb-20 08:55:19

Nankate
Ha yes scouse is stew but not just any old stew it's a regional stew that's from a certain area in our land that's NEVER to be tampered with. grin

Marydoll Sat 22-Feb-20 08:20:20

Years ago, when just married, despite never having made it before, I decided to make a traditional, Scottish steak pie for DH, as it's his favourite meal.
I tend to tweak recipes and that first attempt at cooking was no different.
For some strange reason, I decided to add some garlic.
The pie looked wonderful when it came out of the oven until we took the first bite. It was disgusting!!
I learned a valuable lesson, think before you add extra ingredients ??

Beechnut Sat 22-Feb-20 08:19:57

I’ve just googled scouse *NanKate as I didn’t know. It’s stew.

DanniRae Sat 22-Feb-20 08:02:18

I generally use celery salt instead of salt and if I use tomato puree I add a pinch of sugar.

supernannyjane Sat 22-Feb-20 07:55:03

I use Swiss Bouillon powder as recommended by Delia in many of my savoury dishes. Especially good in soups, pasta sauces and sprinkled onto roasted root veg before shoving in the oven. Low salt version also available.

NanKate Sat 22-Feb-20 07:51:40

What’s scouse please ?

BlueSapphire Sat 22-Feb-20 07:39:40

Definitely agree with Buffybee about adding curry powder to the mince in shepherd's pie. But then I add a chilli to everything!

JackyB Sat 22-Feb-20 07:25:41

Sorry about the 'Z'

JackyB Sat 22-Feb-20 07:25:15

A pinch of curry powder to a potato salad. Z

GrannySomerset Fri 21-Feb-20 23:28:26

Worcester sauce in boldnese - yes, not very Italian but much liked by our family.

Nico97 Fri 21-Feb-20 23:25:28

A teaspoon of sugar when using canned tomatoes - really brings the flavour out !

BradfordLass73 Fri 21-Feb-20 23:19:22

And of course, ALL food tastes better when you've added a bit of love to it....