Gransnet forums

Food

Very puzzled re differences with Cottage Pie v Shepherds Pie.

(54 Posts)
Margs Wed 18-Mar-20 11:28:46

Well, IS there a significant difference between the two dishes? I assumed that it was because one had Worcestershire Sauce as an ingredient and the other didn't.

Otherwise it looks like a simple case of "Same Difference."

pollyperkins Sat 21-Mar-20 09:02:06

Gosh that was quick! ?

Witzend Sat 21-Mar-20 08:50:50

I know it should be called cottage pie if made with beef, but we still call it shepherd's pie - one of dh’s favourites.

Nowadays I usually bulk out the mince with red lentils, and always add plenty of chopped carrot, celery and mushrooms anyway. And baked beans, sometimes. A dash of Worcester Sauce is always good, too.

Red lamb hotpot/stew, does anyone else add chopped turnip? IMO it goes very well with lamb stew. Not always easy to find turnips now, though - they would seem to be becoming unloved.

lemongrove Sat 21-Mar-20 08:46:12

Callistemon I dice the lamb, quite small.
Having roast lamb on Sunday so will make shepherds pie on Monday...although I may now do hotpot, thinking of it.?

Laughterlines Sat 21-Mar-20 08:40:43

This encouraged me to make lamb hotpot with some neck end of lamb. Crikey went OTT with root veg and will be eating it for a month now. It will probably resurface as soup and curry (with addition of spoonful of curry paste) in the meantime. Oh dear. This site could host a lot of good time saving tasty recipes that will keep us occupied and fed.

pollyperkins Sat 21-Mar-20 08:38:26

Carrot too DH says

pollyperkins Sat 21-Mar-20 08:28:38

By the way Lancashire hotpot does have sliced potatoes on top but also has layers of diced lamb, onion and sliced potatoes all the way through. Not mince ! Yum! Think I’ll male it and please DH as he is from Lancashire. Not much else to do. Just need to get some lamb!

pollyperkins Sat 21-Mar-20 08:25:45

Well who knew there could be so many different opinions about traditional dishes!!

Callistemon Fri 20-Mar-20 23:07:15

Laughterlines shock
Pastry! Whatever next!

lemongrove do you mince the leftover lamb or use a food processor and chop it?
My mum used to have a large mincer that clamped on the side of the kitchen table

CherryCezzy Fri 20-Mar-20 22:41:40

Shepherds pie definitely lamb, how could it not be? Whether it be shepherds, cottage or even country pie though my WP will call it a mashed potato cake because of the layer of mash on top grin

Laughterlines Fri 20-Mar-20 21:59:12

I thought cottage pie had pastry on top and shepherds pie had mashed ? Who knows

Lavazza1st Fri 20-Mar-20 21:53:46

cottage pie is beef mince but shepherds pie is lamb mince. I think of shepherds pie as more special as I add chopped rosemary and garlic , plus the lamb has a richer taste,

lemongrove Fri 20-Mar-20 21:49:29

I use leftovers from roast lamb to make shepherds pie, not lamb mince.Cottage pie, good quality beef mince.
Both are topped with mashed potato.
It’s Lancashire hotpot that is layered on top with sliced potatoes.

MawB Fri 20-Mar-20 21:47:26

Gagajo I would never accept China, Switzerland or Spain as the ultimate arbiters of a traditionally British dish!

MawB Fri 20-Mar-20 21:44:49

Of course Phoenix - my apologies (my post was just a load of cobblers?);

GagaJo Fri 20-Mar-20 20:28:31

LOL. I've had shepherds/cottage pie in school canteens in China, Spain and Switzerland. They were all very similar.

HurdyGurdy Fri 20-Mar-20 20:27:59

No no no no no grin

Shepherds Pie is made with lamb, and with the potato piped, or fluffed on top, to resemble the fleece of the sheep

Cottage Pie is made with beef, and with the potato sliced and layered on top, to resemble the tiles of the roof of the cottage.

(I learned that in Coronation Street, from Roy Cropper's mother, Silvia, played by the marvellous Stephanie Cole )

phoenix Fri 20-Mar-20 20:19:24

Noooo, sliced potato makes it a (sort of) hot pot, to be a cobbler it has to have a scone or pastry rounds topping!

MawB Fri 20-Mar-20 20:07:42

Polly Perkins I think the sliced potato topping makes it a Cobbler rather than a pie.

MawB Fri 20-Mar-20 20:06:39

A propos of very little, Shepherds Pie used to be known in Paw’s family as Dhobi Pudding.
Why?
Paw’s grandfather was in India, in the Indian police before the War and actually FIL was born there.
In the typical way of pre-war ex-pats, they used to eat European food and a cook at the time mistranslated or misunderstood Shepherd's Pie as “Watchman's Pie “ which then somehow became “Washerman’s Pie” and thence Dhobi Pie or Pudding.
But whatever, lamb for Shepherds Pie (obviously) and beef for Cottage Pie.

Callistemon Fri 20-Mar-20 19:58:34

I come from a long line of shepherds, all expert at making Proper Shepherds' Pies.

However, I usually make the cottage variety with beef.
Great Grandma would be shocked.

phoenix Fri 20-Mar-20 19:47:10

I think it may depend on the market price of shepherds versus cottages.

And then of course you have factor in the time, effort and possibly machinery used to mince them.wink

Jane43 Fri 20-Mar-20 19:31:54

I’ve always used used half pork mince and half beef for. Meatloaf.

tiredoldwoman Fri 20-Mar-20 19:27:23

EllinVannan , you beat me to it ! I was going to say oops I minced a shepherd . Meatballs tomorrow ?

pollyperkins Fri 20-Mar-20 19:06:05

Well I thought shepherds pie has mash on top and cottage pie had sliced potatoes (like tiles on cottage roof!)

WOODMOUSE49 Fri 20-Mar-20 18:59:01

Cumberland Pie ?- someone asked
: left over meat / beef mince + veg (carrots/celery ...) + a cheesy potato mash top or slices of potato and sprinkle of cheese.

Pork Mince: Best way for a fantastic chilli is 1/2 pork mince and 1/2 beef mine.