Gransnet forums

Food

Savoury Toast Recipe

(8 Posts)
fatgran57 Wed 25-Mar-20 07:50:29

I use about 700g of grated tasty cheese, 2/3 rashers chopped bacon, 1 small chopped onion, 2 tablespoons tomato relish, 2 tablespoons tomato sauce, 1 or 2 tablespoons Worcester sauce, about a teaspoon of curry powder and two or 3 eggs - depending on size and how dry the mixture looks.

Then mix together and place about two tablespoons of mixture on large size slices of white toaster bread. Make sure you spread it right up into the corners of the bread,

Cook in reasonably hot oven until nice and puffed and brown checking that the underside of the bread is browned nicely.

These freeze well if they last this long - this makes quite a few though.

I use the white bread as I found that brown or grain bread stayed rather soggy. You can adjust the recipe if you like more bacon etc and I add parmesan cheese for extra taste.

Hope you enjoy an Australian favourite smile

Gingster Wed 25-Mar-20 07:55:04

Mmmmmm! That sounds gorgeous fatgran - maybe do this for brekky. ?

annep1 Wed 25-Mar-20 08:41:25

I like. Thanks.

Daisymae Wed 25-Mar-20 09:11:44

Sounds good, can be adapted for veggies or vegans, like the idea of freezing. I made bread and butter pudding with the left over stale bread yesterday and it worked out well. Turning into my mum!

EllanVannin Wed 25-Mar-20 09:45:19

That's reminded me Daisymae, a bread pud. Would have thrown half a loaf out tomorrow--use by 21st, so I'll check for mould and if it's okay I'll do that today. Sultanas from Christmas, stale bread the only fresh items will be eggs and milk grin I like grated nutmeg on top and a knob of butter while cooking. Great.

Savoury toast looks tasty too by way of a change.
This is where I miss mum's Welsh rarebit---she used stout ?

Calendargirl Wed 25-Mar-20 09:47:44

Why throw out EV, just freeze surplus bread for later.

shysal Wed 25-Mar-20 10:05:42

My small freezer under the fridge is completely full, so no room for surplus bread. Yesterday I cut half a crustless 50/50 loaf into fingers and croutons to eat with my home made soups. I spread on a baking tray, spray with oil then sprinkle with finely grated parmesan. Low oven (150) for about 20 minutes until dry.

fatgran57 Thu 26-Mar-20 00:23:51

Looks good shysal. I made some croutons in my air fryer to go with my caesar salad - drizzle a slice of wholegrain bread with olive oil, cut it into croutons and 6/7 minutes in air fryer. Turned out nicely, enough for two salads.

Will make a batch of savoury toast tomorrow as daughter bought me two loaves of marked down bread last night.